What's your PSO Setup?

A curious conversion was had a bit earlier with one of my fellow teammates, who just got a new laptop and is adjusting to this game. We were talking about how each of us play and to my surprise, realized he doesn't use a pad. 

Coming from the DC days, I played with DC pad and keyboard, I didn't think there was any other way to effectively play this game, but I'm sure I'm wrong and several people have other ways to play. So I'm creating this thread to see how other people effectively play PSO on PC. This could be an opportunity for others to see how people are playing and it might spark ideas for them to try different layouts/different peripherals. 

For me, I play on my desktop using a full keyboard and a PDP Wired XBox One Controller (which works natively for Windows 10...it even has a neat game interface when you push the XBox button). Numlock is disabled so I can use the number shortcuts. The pad is mapped the way I remember it to be back in the DC days which makes for very efficient gaming.

image.png.e53c0b9a1dfcaecae82e47c67fd64c34.png

So let's hear it. How do you play PSO?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use a Xbox One Controller and Joytokey to map all the spells I need. I personally don't use the keyboard but only to type. My personal Joytokey settings are R trigger Resta, L Trigger Zalure, Left D pad shifta, right D pad Deband, and down D pad anti for almost all my character other than casts. For casts I use R trigger Trimate, L Trigger Freeze Trap, left D pad Dimate, right D pad Confuse trap, and down D pad Moons.

Edited by Clappy

This is sorta something I’ve been wanting to talk about/share. I’ll even extend to my inventory a bit. I pretty much exclusively play hucast so everything here is mostly in relation to that. 
I play on a wired Xbox One controller. It’s a shame how many I’ve actually gone through. I’ve heard a lot of controller stories and never thought it would happen to me. I’m on my 4th but technically 3rd controller because my most recent one started drifting and an older one had buttons stop sticking. 
I use Antimicro to map controls and chat shortcuts.

Left Bumper = Camera

Left Trigger = F2 equip menu

Right Bumper = End key

Right Trigger = Page down / F3 tech menu

Y = Ctrl

B = Special attack

A = Normal attack

X = Hard attack

D-Pad Up = Freeze Trap / Shifta (dependent on class)

D-Pad Right = Dimate 

D-Pad Down = Sol Atomizer / Zalure / Trap Vision (dependent on class/quest)

D-Pad Left = Damage Trap / Trifluid (dependent on class)

Something note worthy is I NEVER keep anything on my back palette no matter the server/class. Not even Gamecube. Accidental photon blasts are one of my biggest PSO pet peeves.

I’m not really going to talk much about buttons except left and right trigger. Having F2 to quickly swap Frames/Units/Shields/Mags depending on your situation. Think mostly Red Ring/White Ring/Black Ring/Kasami Bracer and Agastya at bosses. Page down helps managing larger inventories especially on servers like Ultima where extra weapons are kinda needed. You can also quickly swap to the weapons under or above wherever page down lands you. 

LUAs are something I’ve unfortunately learned to rely on a little much these days. I play with the invincibility reader and HP reader. While not necessarily needed they do make life a little easier. 

Now INVENTORIES is something I’ve been DYING to type about. I’ll mention before hand that inventory setups are mostly entirely up to the individual player and if it works it works. I personally use unique inventories per quest. Typically quests can be filtered into 2 groups though. Quests where there’s only 1/2 relevant enemy attributes like MAE: Ruins, Sweep-Up Operation #4, or Mop-Up Operation #4. The other group being quests that have an adequate amount of many enemy attributes like MA1C, CCC, or CF4. One of these groups require a simple inventory that will basically be the top half of the complex inventory that I’m about to get in to. My inventory for longer quests (CF4 for example):

Dark Flow AB/D/H

Berserk Raygun N/D/H

Vjaya AB/D/H

Diska of Bravemen  AB/D/H

LK 38 AB/D/H

Lavis Blade

TJS AB/D

Arrest J-Cutter

Arrest Raygun N/D/H

Charge Vulcan N/D/H

LK 38 N/AB/H

Diska of Bravemen N/AB/H

Vjaya N/AB/H

Dark Flow N/AB/H

The middle part is where I feel that it’s “interesting” there lies all the utility stuff. Conveniently page down lands me on Arrest Raygun and 1 down is Charge Vulcan. Other stuff like Lavis/TJS/J-Cutter lies there as well. Twin Blaze used to be there too but I value 1 Scape Doll over TB in the run. The “extremities” are the areas I keep the weapons that are most used. I keep them in the same spots just reflected on the middle utility weapons. The static nature of this inventory allows for faster and more reliable switches. Not every quest that has a lot of different enemies has this many utility weapons so those slots change. No matter what the bottom 4 and top 5 are always the same weapons. 

I could probably talk on and on about this. It’s just the basic level of my set up no matter what server I’m playing on (Vanilla, Gamecube, Ultima, 2014). 

Edited by Saber +7
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Saber +7 said:

This is sorta something I’ve been wanting to talk about/share. I’ll even extend to my inventory a bit. I pretty much exclusively play hucast so everything here is mostly in relation to that. 
I play on a wired Xbox One controller. It’s a shame how many I’ve actually gone through. I’ve heard a lot of controller stories and never thought it would happen to me. I’m on my 4th but technically 3rd controller because my most recent one started drifting and an older one had buttons stop sticking. 
I use Antimicro to map controls and chat shortcuts.

Left Bumper = Camera

Left Trigger = F2 equip menu

Right Bumper = End key

Right Trigger = Page down / F3 tech menu

Y = Ctrl

B = Special attack

A = Normal attack

X = Hard attack

D-Pad Up = Freeze Trap / Shifta (dependent on class)

D-Pad Right = Dimate 

D-Pad Down = Sol Atomizer / Zalure / Trap Vision (dependent on class/quest)

D-Pad Left = Damage Trap / Trifluid (dependent on class)

Something note worthy is I NEVER keep anything on my back palette no matter the server/class. Not even Gamecube. Accidental photon blasts are one of my biggest PSO pet peeves.

I’m not really going to talk much about buttons except left and right trigger. Having F2 to quickly swap Frames/Units/Shields/Mags depending on your situation. Think mostly Red Ring/White Ring/Black Ring/Kasami Bracer and Agastya at bosses. Page down helps managing larger inventories especially on servers like Ultima where extra weapons are kinda needed. You can also quickly swap to the weapons under or above wherever page down lands you. 

LUAs are something I’ve unfortunately learned to rely on a little much these days. I play with the invincibility reader and HP reader. While not necessarily needed they do make life a little easier. 

Now INVENTORIES is something I’ve been DYING to type about. I’ll mention before hand that inventory setups are mostly entirely up to the individual player and if it works it works. I personally use unique inventories per quest. Typically quests can be filtered into 2 groups though. Quests where there’s only 1/2 relevant enemy attributes like MAE: Ruins, Sweep-Up Operation #4, or Mop-Up Operation #4. The other group being quests that have an adequate amount of many enemy attributes like MA1C, CCC, or CF4. One of these groups require a simple inventory that will basically be the top half of the complex inventory that I’m about to get in to. My inventory for longer quests (CF4 for example):

Dark Flow AB/D/H

Berserk Raygun N/D/H

Vjaya AB/D/H

Diska of Bravemen  AB/D/H

LK 38 AB/D/H

Lavis Blade

TJS AB/D

Arrest J-Cutter

Arrest Raygun N/D/H

Charge Vulcan N/D/H

LK 38 N/AB/H

Diska of Bravemen N/AB/H

Vjaya N/AB/H

Dark Flow N/AB/H

The middle part is where I feel that it’s “interesting” there lies all the utility stuff. Conveniently page down lands me on Arrest Raygun and 1 down is Charge Vulcan. Other stuff like Lavis/TJS/J-Cutter lies there as well. Twin Blaze used to be there too but I value 1 Scape Doll over TB in the run. The “extremities” are the areas I keep the weapons that are most used. I keep them in the same spots just reflected on the middle utility weapons. The static nature of this inventory allows for faster and more reliable switches. Not every quest that has a lot of different enemies has this many utility weapons so those slots change. No matter what the bottom 4 and top 5 are always the same weapons. 

I could probably talk on and on about this. It’s just the basic level of my set up no matter what server I’m playing on (Vanilla, Gamecube, Ultima, 2014). 

Interested to understand why you would carry a TJS if you have a DF with the same Att%?

I use Sanwa 16-Button gamepad as controller and also map a few things to Joy2Key. Since I main as a FO, I'll be sharing what my setup looks like on paper. I do also have a separate setup for cast but I'll just show what I do with FO since they're my main. All binds I have on Dpad are set with 15 button press times per second through Joy2Key for Force.

On the side, I also use Tofuman's Palette Manager Tool which allows me to use up to 4 different hotbars at a time. With it, you can use both the base hotbar along with a control hotbar that will be accessed at the same time that you swap your palette. However, when you reach 100 PB, it cancels out the entire control bar. So what I do is I map the hotbar shortcut that is on Tofuman's Palette Manager Tool to my Joy2Key (The shortcut is Scroll Lock + <The hotbar number which is 1 through 4>). This enables you to basically jump hotbars and not require the need to hold down the CTRL button to use anything in conjunction with it. Thus, I keep 100PB and never grief a Photon Blast.

I use 3 hotbars on FO with the first 2 being my main focuses while the 3rd one is used for Grants, Megid and Ryuker only. I use this playstyle since I can perform everything on gamepad and never have to touch the keyboard. Gaming on Keyboard is rigorous for me as I have terrible wrists.

When the shortcut enabled is Scroll Lock + 1, this is what my hotbar and controller setup look like:

image.png.fd673a0ba0084976f3195314265c5ffa.png

When the shortcut enabled is Scroll Lock + 2, this is what my hotbar and controller setup looks like:

image.png.cddc5f9da25b9673fb551c1659064ee0.png

When the shortcut enabled is Scroll Lock + 3, this is what my hotbar and controller setup looks like:

image.png.420ccca2f90d6fd26731423737ff0a53.png

Visual sample of swapping to hotbar #1:

image.png.10587f071c63608993ee798a18564442.png

So with how I have this setup, I...

- Hold L1 + Right/Up on right stick for Hotbar #1
- Hold L1 + Down/Left on right stick for Hotbar #2
- Hold L1 + Left Dpad for Hotbar #3
- When doing the combinations, I do not have to hold any buttons to use anything on the hotbar I swapped to. All button holding is to swap bars only.

Thanks for reading!

image.png

image.png

Edited by Amaranthine
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jdhenry124 said:

Interested to understand why you would carry a TJS if you have a DF with the same Att%?

The TJS is for a set of Merissas in the last room of Christmas Fiasco 4. Dark Flow doesn’t interact with Meris the same way TJS waves do. 

• Like 1

WhatsApp_Image_2020-06-21_at_09.19.29.jp

Ever since the existence of Project 64 :onion120:

Edited by Kotta
  • Like 1