Another 'hi, I'm new!' post, with some questions

Hey all. I've put off playing PSOBB for way too many years. I spent hundreds upon hundreds of hours playing GCN PSO with my ASCII keyboard controller back in the day. It was one of my favorite games. So many fond memories partying up with people and crushing content... and of course having people hack the server and sneaking into rooms where they'd drop hacked items. Lots of fun to be had.

I settled on Ultima PSO because, as an adult now, I don't have the hours to put into the grind anymore. I've been playing it the past two days and it's such a blast from the past. I made a RAmar and I'm currently level 28. I've ran TTF with two awesome lv200 people who were generous enough to give me a handful of rares, yellow boosters, and a mediocre mag (better than my starting mag, lol)

I guess my question is... how should I be spending my time? I did a couple solo quests and they were very boring. I did one government quest online, it was slightly better. I can do a normal TTF run through Dragon (and probably more, but through Dragon is quick) solo and I can do UP TO dragon on Hard TTF. Leveling is still slow though. Is there an optimal thing or things I should be doing to level up and experience the game? Any tips would be greatly appreciated and I look forward to seeing you guys on Pioneer 2!

Get you mag to level 200. It's the easiest and most useful thing to do if you're new and will help you equip better weapons so you can have more fun playing and others have more ways to help you because you can equip more things. 

Plus, with how quickly you gain exp on this server, if you don't make feeding your mag a priority you'll quickly find yourself in Ultimate getting absolutely obliterated

1 hour ago, jdhenry124 said:

Get you mag to level 200. It's the easiest and most useful thing to do if you're new and will help you equip better weapons so you can have more fun playing and others have more ways to help you because you can equip more things. 

Plus, with how quickly you gain exp on this server, if you don't make feeding your mag a priority you'll quickly find yourself in Ultimate getting absolutely obliterated

Someone gave me a level 35 MAG and the stats were kinda even-ish. I'm trying to raise the POW on it now with the MAG Timer but it's a slow process

Raise a 5/150/45/0 mag on your own. It takes time but it's worth it. And you really don't even need to be playing while you do it. I raised mine while I was in quarantine working out at home cause the gym was closed. 

The fastest way is to get the mag to 50 and give it heart of chu chu if anyone is willing to give you one. Or get it to 100 and turn it into a nidra. Those mags have the fastest feeding tables

3 hours ago, toomanyrecords said:

Hey all. I've put off playing PSOBB for way too many years. I spent hundreds upon hundreds of hours playing GCN PSO with my ASCII keyboard controller back in the day. It was one of my favorite games. So many fond memories partying up with people and crushing content... and of course having people hack the server and sneaking into rooms where they'd drop hacked items. Lots of fun to be had.

I settled on Ultima PSO because, as an adult now, I don't have the hours to put into the grind anymore. I've been playing it the past two days and it's such a blast from the past. I made a RAmar and I'm currently level 28. I've ran TTF with two awesome lv200 people who were generous enough to give me a handful of rares, yellow boosters, and a mediocre mag (better than my starting mag, lol)

I guess my question is... how should I be spending my time? I did a couple solo quests and they were very boring. I did one government quest online, it was slightly better. I can do a normal TTF run through Dragon (and probably more, but through Dragon is quick) solo and I can do UP TO dragon on Hard TTF. Leveling is still slow though. Is there an optimal thing or things I should be doing to level up and experience the game? Any tips would be greatly appreciated and I look forward to seeing you guys on Pioneer 2!

Honestly for this server it comes down to events and event drops. For most if not all of those drops you want to be able to farm any level of ultimate so main concern is actually going to be getting to level 200. Since green names aren't going on right now (which means no 5x exp)  its not necessarily the best Idea to be trying to get to 200. Things to focus on for this server that I have found differ from the base game would be depending on the class you play. Since you are a ranger I wouldn't worry a ton about finding weapons with hit % but on this server anything that has hit % is worth keeping. At the moment I guess I would suggest getting to the point where you can grind something in ultimate mode. Anything you can farm for your class ID or work for at the moment during these off times would be ideal. Once 5x exp comes back you should try to hit 200 as fast as you can and start farming event drops. Apart from those 2 things I would say just try to do whatever you have fun in the game doing. I like to try and get an SJS myself instead of buying it so that's a long term goal I have set up at the moment. Its really up to you.

green names have nothing to do with exp. They are separate events. Green names = rare mob rate increase. It just so happens that green names coincides with 5x exp rate sometimes during events and staff decide to turn them on/off at various times, but they are separate.

• Like 2

Honestly as far as how to spend your time its totally different for everyone. I personally like hunting weird rare crap thats not worth anything, and farming event items. Some people like playing the quests and getting the story, some people like time attack, and some people like challenge mode. But if you play long enough on the server you'll dip your toes into all of it. I'd suggest just finding which character you enjoy to play most first of all, then get that char geared out so you can use that as a foundation to get whatever other things you'll need in the future. For exp, just spam TTF to 100 then CCA to 200. For items, farm or ask around. Plenty of people are willing to give mid range or higher to newbies. If you want to max out your character (which you should), check out this thread: 

• Like 3

Thanks everyone so far.

I'm very confused about quests. I just did the first Caves government quest on Normal. Obviously I'm way overpowered. Should I be doing quests on Hard? Do I ignore single player quests and just do government quests? What about Ep 2 and 4, when do I do normal mode of those? Everything seems unlocked so I'm a bit overwhelmed.

Also, for TTF, am I just running it solo? On normal? With someone else? I feel like I've ran TTF twice with lv200s and they just nuke everything immediately and i don't have a chance to tag most things so I only get boss EXP?

38 minutes ago, toomanyrecords said:

I'm very confused about quests. I just did the first Caves government quest on Normal. Obviously I'm way overpowered. Should I be doing quests on Hard? Do I ignore single player quests and just do government quests? What about Ep 2 and 4, when do I do normal mode of those? Everything seems unlocked so I'm a bit overwhelmed.

Depends on your objectives. If you want the rewards given by the Gov quests, the harder difficulty the better (but overall the rewards are not that great anyways). If your objective is to follow the story or to unlock all the gov quests, you can do it in any difficulty. iirc, if you unlocked it in normal mode, you should have access to them in any difficulty on that char (i might be wrong on this, since it was a long time ago that i unlocked it).

Episode 2 and 4 you can play as soon as you have the lvl requirement. In Normal/Hard/Very Hard shouldn't be a big deal.

On multiplayer mode, you have all the important "non gov" quests there to play at any time. If you want to play the story, you have to go through most of the single player quests.

38 minutes ago, toomanyrecords said:

Also, for TTF, am I just running it solo? On normal? With someone else? I feel like I've ran TTF twice with lv200s and they just nuke everything immediately and i don't have a chance to tag most things so I only get boss EXP?

My advise is to run with other people, especially people well geared that can rush throught it. It's more time efficient to just rush and get the bosses EXP. For that, you just have to hit the boss or cast a tech on them and you should get the EXP.

Ofc if you want to enjoy the run aswell, you should look for people at your level, but if your objective is only to level up faster, just boss rush and don't worry with the other mobs EXP that you will eventually lose. If you can't tag the boss fast enough, just ask your teammates to slow down a bit and then after tagging, let them know that they are free to go.

Edited by jezbuz
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Damothedevil said:

I can help you now if your online? I can TTF with you annd get you some lvls

I appreciate it but I'm caught up with some work stuff at the moment :(

Just now, jezbuz said:

Depends on your objectives. If you want the rewards given by the Gov quests, the harder difficulty the better (but overall the rewards are not that great anyways). If your objective is to follow the story or to unlock all the gov quests, you can do it in any difficulty. iirc, if you unlocked it in normal mode, you should have access to them in any difficulty on that char (i might be wrong on this, since it was a long time ago that i unlocked it).

Episode 2 and 4 you can play as soon as you have the lvl requirement. In Normal/Hard/Very Hard shouldn't be a big deal.

My advise is to run with other people, especially people well geared that can rush throught it. It's more time efficient to just rush and get the bosses EXP. For that, you just have to hit the boss or cast a tech on them and you should get the EXP.

Ofc if you want to enjoy the run aswell, you should look for people at your level, but if your objective is only to level up faster, just boss rush and don't worry with the other mobs EXP that you will eventually lose. If you can't tag the boss fast enough, just ask your teammates to slow down a bit and then after tagging, let them know that they are free to go.

But should I be running TTF (with someone) on normal, or higher? If it's higher, I'm afraid I'll get killed by the boss and then won't get credit for the EXP

7 minutes ago, toomanyrecords said:

I appreciate it but I'm caught up with some work stuff at the moment :(

But should I be running TTF (with someone) on normal, or higher? If it's higher, I'm afraid I'll get killed by the boss and then won't get credit for the EXP

The higher the better, since the EXP grows with difficulty, so you will net more EXP per boss. And don't worry, dying is part of the game and thats how you learn the gimmicks of this game. Also, your teammates will always revive you so you get the EXP (what matters to get the exp is that they revive you before the end of thedeath boss cutscene. They can even revive you during the cutscene and you will get the EXP). So you should be cool.

Edited by jezbuz
  • Like 1