Installed new RX580 GPU and now PSO runs under 15 frames

I installed a new motherboard, CPU, GPU, and RAM, all of which have current and updated drivers. Now for whatever reason PSO is running at half the frames on the login menu and when I hop into the game the frame drop is so massive it is unplayable. Before I was running a GTX 1050TI and it worked flawlessly. I don't know what could cause this to happen and any advice would be much appreciated.

22 minutes ago, keikito said:

Same, but i do get 30fps  just major lag when merissas apear. also with overcrowded rooms. posting here to see solution as well. sorry I'm not helping. GL to us lol. 

Yeah man, I don't even get the proper 30 sitting idle at the login menu lol

3 hours ago, Clappy said:

I installed a new motherboard, CPU, GPU, and RAM, all of which have current and updated drivers. Now for whatever reason PSO is running at half the frames on the login menu and when I hop into the game the frame drop is so massive it is unplayable. Before I was running a GTX 1050TI and it worked flawlessly. I don't know what could cause this to happen and any advice would be much appreciated.

What CPU

Hmmm strange indeed, I just got a Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX590 a week or so ago and haven't had any serious issues what you guys are describing.

Granted, I have noticed a bit of slowdown in the seaside area, but I think I can tweak that out eventually.  That area always gives people graphics problems...

My humble suggestion gents, remove your graphics drivers, COMPLETELY remove them via either RegEdit or a graphics driver cleaner program.

Before you reboot, also go into the Windows Device Manager and remove the card manually there as well.(if hasn't been removed already after graphics driver removal)

Reboot and install the latest video driver for your card from your appropriate manufacturer's support download section.

I would NOT advise using the standard AMD Catalyst drivers, from AMD's website, as you may run into such issues again with them.(they seem to be rather general in operation, for AMD actual reference cards)

If that does not work, then I'd look into the Catalyst Omega drivers.

Oh, for what it's worth, I'm on a AMD Athlon X4 860k at 4Ghz with a ASUS Crossblade Ranger mobo and 32 gigs of DDR3, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

Hope this helps, have hope my friends, the card will work with this game, I'm still playing it on mine. :onion120:

Edited by Trigunman
5 hours ago, nnorton44 said:

What CPU

Ryzen 2600x. However, before I had a fx-4300 and when I ran my 1050TI on it I had no issues with the game and even then when I put my RX580 in it didn't work properly. So I would assume it is GPU related. Though I figured I throw in the fact I updated my entire system.

5 hours ago, Trigunman said:

Hmmm strange indeed, I just got a Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX590 a week or so ago and haven't had any serious issues what you guys are describing.

Granted, I have noticed a bit of slowdown in the seaside area, but I think I can tweak that out eventually.  That area always gives people graphics problems...

My humble suggestion gents, remove your graphics drivers, COMPLETELY remove them via either RegEdit or a graphics driver cleaner program.

Before you reboot, also go into the Windows Device Manager and remove the card manually there as well.(if hasn't been removed already after graphics driver removal)

Reboot and install the latest video driver for your card from your appropriate manufacturer's support download section.

I would NOT advise using the standard AMD Catalyst drivers, from AMD's website, as you may run into such issues again with them.(they seem to be rather general in operation, for AMD actual reference cards)

If that does not work, then I'd look into the Catalyst Omega drivers.

Oh, for what it's worth, I'm on a AMD Athlon X4 860k at 4Ghz with a ASUS Crossblade Ranger mobo and 32 gigs of DDR3, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

Hope this helps, have hope my friends, the card will work with this game, I'm still playing it on mine. :onion120:

I tried the above aforementioned suggestions, though I haven't tested the AMD Catalyst suggestion yet. Where would I find the folder that would contain the AMD Catalyst driver?

11 hours ago, Clappy said:

I tried the above aforementioned suggestions, though I haven't tested the AMD Catalyst suggestion yet. Where would I find the folder that would contain the AMD Catalyst driver?

I wouldn't try to remove the driver manually if you don't know exactly how Clappy, it's not just the folder somewhere on C:\ drive, it's also your Windows System Registry entries that are tied to those files.  Trying to manually remove every trace of the drivers from your computer is rather a real pain in the ass you'd not want to deal with IMHO if you can help it.  This is why I recommend using a Driver Remover Utility program to automate all of that process for you and it can do it far more quickly.

Here, try this, it's straight from AMD as well:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-601

The AMD Catalyst is the entire driver suite Clappy, it's not just the drivers but also the "front end" that allows you to tweak, manage and even set individual setting for games installed on your computer, it also sits in your system tray.

What brand is your Radeon RX580 btw?  Mine is a Sapphire...  If you're gonna install drivers from somewhere, that's where I'd start first, from the actual card manufacturer, not AMD's website.  That's a measure of last resort IMHO.

Edited by Trigunman
10 hours ago, Trigunman said:

I wouldn't try to remove the driver manually if you don't know exactly how Clappy, it's not just the folder somewhere on C:\ drive, it's also your Windows System Registry entries that are tied to those files.  Trying to manually remove every trace of the drivers from your computer is rather a real pain in the ass you'd not want to deal with IMHO if you can help it.  This is why I recommend using a Driver Remover Utility program to automate all of that process for you and it can do it far more quickly.

Here, try this, it's straight from AMD as well:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-601

The AMD Catalyst is the entire driver suite Clappy, it's not just the drivers but also the "front end" that allows you to tweak, manage and even set individual setting for games installed on your computer, it also sits in your system tray.

What brand is your Radeon RX580 btw?  Mine is a Sapphire...  If you're gonna install drivers from somewhere, that's where I'd start first, from the actual card manufacturer, not AMD's website.  That's a measure of last resort IMHO.

Thanks man, I figured it would boil down to all that, as I had to do that years ago for a different card. This is gonna be a real pain in the ass. but, what I don't get, is that only PSO is affected by frame drop. Every other game I've tested so far works flawlessly. I'm kinda stumped here.

Edited by Clappy
12 hours ago, Trigunman said:

I also have a sapphire and was wondering how exactly you would go about finding the driver if not from AMD's website.

12 hours ago, Clappy said:

Thanks man, I figured it would boil down to all that, as I had to do that years ago for a different card. This is gonna be a real pain in the ass. but, what I don't get, is that only PSO is affected by frame drop. Every other game I've tested so far works flawlessly. I'm kinda stumped here.

No problem Clappy, hopefully you'll get it sorted out. 

This problem affecting only PSOBB is quite strange, but again, this is a rather old game.

It's not uncommon for older games to get broken for new driver fixes from what I've seen over the years.

Ultimately, you may have to revert to some fairly older drivers to get PSOBB fixed IMHO.

Try the newest drivers from your card's manufacturer website support/driver download section and see if that helps.

If not, uninstall and try a older driver from them.

Let me know if you have any success Clappy, hopefully this will fix Crank's issue as well.

11 hours ago, Trigunman said:

This problem affecting only PSOBB is quite strange, but again, this is a rather old game.

It's not uncommon for older games to get broken for new driver fixes from what I've seen over the years.

Ultimately, you may have to revert to some fairly older drivers to get PSOBB fixed IMHO.

Try the newest drivers from your card's manufacturer website support/driver download section and see if that helps.

Let me know if you have any success Clappy, hopefully this will fix Crank's issue as well.

Yeah man, it sucks, cause I have a Radeon Graphics Adrenalin 20.2 and is amazing for most of my current games, and I don't know how my newer games will be affected when installing older drivers. :[

On 4/22/2020 at 10:29 AM, Trigunman said:

Also I noticed, when testing frames, that It stays at 15 FPS at all times. I'm starting to think something is capping my frames but I turned off Frame Designation, Radeon Chill, V-Sync and Free-Sync in the Adrenalin menu. Would you have any advice for that?

1 hour ago, Clappy said:

Also I noticed, when testing frames, that It stays at 15 FPS at all times. I'm starting to think something is capping my frames but I turned off Frame Designation, Radeon Chill, V-Sync and Free-Sync in the Adrenalin menu. Would you have any advice for that?

In the Ultima PSOBB Launcher, have you checked your Options - > Graphics - > Frame Skip to see what it's set to?

Leave your Free-Sync on your monitor if it supports it, it's good to leave on and prevents screen tearing, otherwise leave V-Sync on.

Aside from that, I'll have to wait till I get home to see all the options available under the AMD Catalyst menu.

Honestly I'm more suspect of your hardware at this point.

Again, you never told me what brand of Radeon you've got, like XFX, Sapphire, MSI, Powercolor, etc.