Ideal squad

Hi everyone I'm new here and I am in the process of rolling a character. If I'm going to be honest I usually don't make it past lvl 130 or so (on vanilla without extra xp bonus) before I get bored but I want to ask this question in the context of lvls 100+

What is everyone's ideal squad? I'm a filthy casual that's played since xbox release usually by myself - I've taken ramarl racast fonewmn fonewarl fomarl and hucast into the 130s over the years so those are the main ones I have first hand experience with.

I think my ideal team would be:
Hucast (raw dmg)
Hucast (raw dmg)
Racast (dmg / trap sniping)
And I'm undecided on which Fo-

I'm curious what everyone thinks the best later game squad would be and why? I would assume that we would need a Fo for the lvl 30 shifta / zalure but maybe there's something I don't know. And if a Fo is necessary which one is best? Do Fos use magic (fonewmn) later game or do they rely more heavily on weapons (Fomarl/fomar)?

PS: Nice to meet you

Dewd, if you stay here long enough, with 5x exp during events, you'll hit lvl 200 on your characters with not that much difficulty if you're diligent.

Once you hit 130, you can do the CCA run on ultimate difficulty with other lvl 200 party members and take out Gal Gryphon for alot of exp which will help you jump levels all the way up to lvl 200.

As far as an ideal party goes, I'd say you're more at the mercy of chance and who's online than anything else.

There is no ideal party typically, or at best if you're part of a pretty established team, maybe then you'll get some semblance of an ideal party.

As far as characters goes, play with whatever classes/races you think you might enjoy. 

Casts are always valued for sheer power/toughness, Humans for flexibility and accuracy, Newmans for their tech abilities and support.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Edited by Trigunman
  • Like 1

Howdy Britain, welcome to Ultima!  I mostly play FO these days, so my post will be from that perspective.

What is everyone's ideal squad?

My opinion on what is an ideal team is more dependent on good equipment and less about races, although there are definitely some things to consider with certain race/class combinations. Differences in stats can more or less be accommodated with different equipment. On Ultima there are a number of class-bending weapons that really change the dynamic of how players can effectively play different classes. Take a look here for a summary of the new items: 

Useful specials for weapons:

Hell (insta-death)

Demon's (reduces HP)

Freeze

paralyze

confuse

bonus points for weapons that do high damage or hit multiple enemies and also have those specials

Useful units:

centuion / battle (boost attack speed even way more than V101, next time there's an event that has this dropping, make this your top priority to get it. In my opinion, this is single most important unit to have, forces included. You can do more damage and avoid damage from enemies easier with it)

arm units (high acc is necessary if you're missing. You want to reduce misses as much as possible)

V502 (increase specials chance of working) including death

smartlink (significantly increases bullet accuracy for non rangers even though there is no change to your stats)

🚧 NOTE ON TECH DAMAGE:

Besides equipment, at least 1 FO is  helpful for jellen/zalure/shifta/deband. If you're going for an IDEAL squad, then probably not a good idea to be casting attack spells too often because of something called damage cancel. Add to that the fact that a lot of enemies on Ultimate have higher  HP and even higher tech resistances, rendering nuking less feasible (on certain enemies).  For this reason, my FO's attacks to be about 70% damage coming from melee/guns and 30% damage coming from spells.

So it sounds like you might be saying there's really no innate advantage to one Fo over the other? Though if we are wanting to avoid damage cancel and nuking is less effective, fomar and fomarl are going to be your better shooters and meleers correct me if I am wrong.

And yes... 😛 I know there's rarely going to be an 'ideal' squad but doesn't mean I shouldn't try to pick something that could potentially fit into one.

As is the single most fun I've had with this game has been with my fomar (debuff all the things) and my ramarl (door hugging mindless stationary solo-turreting). I rolled a ramarl today and played a few hours to get it up to 10 but figured I'd drop a line here and get some more advanced opinions. I'll probably role a force as a secondary which I think makes sense given the cost of those characters.

I'll take a look at that thread Nessly.

Thanks!

Edit: Guld Mila opened up to hunters... rofl

Edited by brittaintrail

So it sounds like you might be saying there's really no innate advantage to one Fo over the other?

Well, there are innate advantages to certain FOs (see below chart and especially notice the highlighted fields). I would say use their innate perks / stats to cater to your preferred playstyle and select gear around that. Many of the super effective Ultima gear is equippable my many classes. Check out the link I sent you before coupled with the item database to see what's worth getting.

Though if we are wanting to avoid damage cancel and nuking is less effective, fomar and fomarl are going to be your better shooters and meleers correct me if I am wrong.

Those are my thoughts too! FOmar/FOmarl are great choices for FO melee/range damage (FOnewm too, but to a lesser extent). Best to choose a class that has weapons/armors/class perks that most closely match the play style you get most enjoyment playing. 

I feel that FOnewearls' very high MST isn't enough to make her shine. Tech weapons with damage % multipliers (think Psycho Bridge,  Psycho Wand, Sorcere's Cane, Glide Divine V00 and the like) are more effective at increasing nuke power than MST points alone. Her support boosts to Resta/Anti alone are outshined by FOmarl's. Penetrating megid is only occasionally handy, and there are a couple weapons that you could easily switch to get the same benefit (Demonic Fork, Ultima Reaper). Besides EP1, most enemies high such high element resistance that even with her 1.3 boost to the simple spells, she'd do more damage using powerful melee (Tyrfing, Vivienne)  or range (Sacred Shot, Bringer's Rifle) weapons than spells for attacks to single enemies. In fact, probably her best strength is probably her ATA. She could most effectively use demon's weapons (Slicer of Fanatic, Bringer's Rifle) though.

image.png.6e17dbc5c04ec8df882189f1e1763f5f.png 

• Like 1

It just occurred to me, but I believe on Ultima the base stats of all classes were boosted by a fixed amount. If I find the announcement, I'll link here. Take the above chart as reference only (that's based on official sega psobb server).

😅 Sorry, don't mean to derail your thread. As far as ultimate team my vote goes to: 

Slot 1: FOmarl / FOmar

Slot 2: anything other than FO

Slot 3: anything other than FO

Slot 4: anything other than FO

Edited by Nessly
  • Like 1

On 4/16/2020 at 1:32 AM, Saber +7 said:

Typically the right answer is something like. Occasionally the answer involves a racast or hunewearl or ramarl. More often than not though the true IDEAL class comp looks something like:

fonewm/fomar

hucast

hucast

hucast

depending on the quest and difficulty i  rather want a ramarl/huney on my team

1. FO gives 30Shifta but lacks in dmg output (only demon if it hits is nice... as long it does no dmc)
2. ramarl/huney give 20 shifta (which is still pretty decent - also there is still pb = outclass force)
3. ramarl/huney - no lack in dmg output
4. really important value - zalure does a shitload of dmc, thats why i dont like forces that much on my team lol (except for roct runs haha)
5. if you play 3 huct you dont need zalure: huct + df = destroys everything; so rather have a nice demon buddy (=ramarl) or another DF slave with shifta if needed

but this is for endgame/time attacks/similar stuffs than the 2 things mentioned

but to be honest, if it comes to just play the game for fun, play whatever you want. i mean there was a team which did roct with 4x forces xD (they died at olga - noobs :P)

Edited by toxic
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, toxic said:

4. really important value - zalure does a shitload of dmc, thats why i dont like forces that much on my team lol (except for roct runs haha)

5. if you play 3 huct you dont need zalure: huct + df = destroys everything; so rather have a nice demon buddy (=ramarl) or another DF slave with shifta if needed

Zalure causes damage cancel?
I thought damage cancel occurred when two things caused damage at the same time?

what is "df"?

1 hour ago, brittaintrail said:

I thought damage cancel occurred when two things caused damage at the same time?

what is "df"?

Yes, jellen and zalure do damage cancel, and DF is Dark Flow, most powerful sword of the game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brittaintrail said:

what is "df"?

yes actually zalure and jellen cause damage cancel, its even the worst of all dmc's
while a tech or an attack still does little dmg while canceling, zalure and jellen cancels your dmg 100% and due to that you do 0 dmg at that time, its like you hit an enemy with a tech that does 0 dmg :P

like @bobshlibidich already mentioned, DF=Dark Flow, the strongest sword in game, its special launches an attack of 5 waves if the users hp are under 12,5% close up that means like hitting 1 enemy 5 times at once (in case of DF this can mean 5-7k dmg per attack - and DF can combo here, so multiply that with 3 and you see what amount of dmg it can do ;) , this numbers are like with sd 20 on at least i think)

Honestly, I really don't think it matters who is in your team class-wise, unless you're trying to TA something. Ultima gear homogenizes a lot of classes, so pretty much any "standard" team (1-2 FO, 2-3 non-FO) will be more than enough to get the job done. Also, your setup would vary greatly depending on what exactly you're doing. If you're in an elite group with 3 DF users, that fourth class is gonna change, and may not even be a force necessarily. But if you're playing with random people, the utility and safety provided by a force will greatly increase the number of things your group can accomplish, especially if your group isn't max level.

I think Fomarl is a little bit better than Fomar for a team on ultimate. Fomarls have easier access to increased support techs (less weapon swapping needed for support), and their increased ATA (compared to fomar) helps in ep 2 with meleeing. Despite max ATA and 50-70% hit on my weps, my Fomar is still pretty blind in ep2, so any additional ATA is always a big plus. Fomarls also have access to things like trap vision, and their max stat plan allows them to be much more flexible with situational units such as cure/freeze/shock.

Also, despite what people say, well-geared fonewearls and Fonewms attack techs can be pretty decent in ultimate if you love teching. If you know what you're doing, they're OK for some ep1 monsters, they absolutely destroy ep4, and still have their uses in ep2 on ultimate (especially for fonewearl).

Edited by Nills

RAcast is going to be the best class for you to make right now. its one of the cheapest classes to max out. its one of the cheapest classes to make good. its one of the best end game classes as well. work on your force and hunter classes later. get a cheap iron faust and a level 200 pow dex mag and some units and good to go maine. start building from a strong base. good luck

• Like 1