DEF vs EVP - Which One and Why

Hey guys, 

Yesterday evening the conversation of material boosting DEF vs EVP briefly came up. Both sides had merit, but I wanna hear your take on which one is better to boost and why. 

I'm currently building my material formula for my characters so I'm hoping to make a decision based on what we discuss here.

That Is such a very difficult question, since nobody cares about those Dx

People naturally leave that matter to their armors and shields (and Jellen and Deband). [Mags should also Avoid gaining any defense at all cost, too. It's a waste since It's only worth 1 point of dfp, unlike POW or MST >.<]

[Also, there was something about EVP where It also gives additional damage to the Photon Blast Estlla, iirc...]

Defense for sure. I’m not sure what class you’re making a mat plan for, but not all classes truly have space for that so be careful. The mat plans are all mostly solved if you check the thread. Defense can buy you a hit from like any of the grunts at low HP which could possibly end runs. EVP is mostly irrelevant since blocks come down to rng. If you’re stuck in a group getting attacked by stuff but you block everything so you just can’t move it’s really annoying. 

• Like 2

While this is wholly your decision, personally I would only focus on a character's main stat.

For RAs and HUs, that's POW mats for ATP, for FOs, it's MIND mats. (save FOmar/FOmarl, as they rely on POW as well for melee attacks)

For all difficulties except Ultimate, defense is a priority.

However the game changes towards evade in a BIG way when you hit up ultimate.

The EVP on certain monsters is crazy, therefore you want more of it than DEF, but having a good balance is important IMHO.

Again as others have stated, let your armor handle those stats, I'd try to find a good balance on your frame/armor and barrier selection when it comes to DEF/EVP. (high def armor/high evade shield or vice versa)  However, some classes excel in defense better than others, namely RAcaseal.

If you focus too much on defense or evade, your mind or ATP will suffer when you get to ultimate.

Plan and choose wisely, therefore I'd refer to a mat plan for your character before I'd go eating mats on the fly.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Edited by Trigunman

EVP can actually make you avoid a physical hit. The easiest example I can think of is RAmarl. Maxed evasion works extremely well on her. During TTF the room before Baranz where there are 4 Sinow Blues they cannot hit you with max evade you can stand there forever and not die, try that with high defense you will die! In fact the argument can be made that RAmarl is superior to RAcast in some scenarios because of her lower Def and HP. She dodges more often and gets knocked down easier avoiding the dreaded 1 hit KO that casts can face.

Edited by C01D1
Typo

2 hours ago, C01D1 said:

EVP can actually make you avoid a physical hit. The easiest example I can think of is RAmarl. Maxed evasion works extremely well on her. During TTF the room before Baranz where there are 4 Sinow Blues they cannot hit you with max evade you can stand there forever and not die, try that with high defense you will die! In fact the argument can be made that RAmarl is superior to RAcast in some scenarios because of her lower Def and HP. She dodges more often and gets knocked down easier avoiding the dreaded 1 hit KO that casts can face.

you gotta keep in mind that there are 2 caps. first is DEF cap. if you reach that cap you take 0 dmg from an enemy if enemys ATP is to low. second cap is EVP cap. if you have enough EVP and the enemy not enough ATA you just do not get hit by it.  both scenarios act the same way. DEF and EVP blocks have same animations. So its sometimes hard to say if its a DEF or an EVP block. If you wear STA + max RR + Deband, that could result you to have DEF blocks, jsut because dmg formula for your DEF and enemys ATP leads to 0 dmg. To figure this out you gotta keep your DEF at that point and lower your EVP. if you take dmg then it wasn't the EVP cap.

My personal flavor is, if i have leftover materials, i always put em into DEF. i rather have lower taken dmg and survive a hit than hoping for a roll to not getting hit. Also the extra DEF adds extra DEF if you have Deband on, which could mean you reach the DEF cap faster :)
in the end its just everyones own decision what they love more, if you dodge the attack as good as possible there is nearly no need for those mats :P

Edited by toxic
  • Like 1