Tough Times W/Groups

It's nice to meet you all. I play as Ace on the server, been around here and there, level 123 Ramar. 

I know that's not level 200, but hear me out. Lately I feel like everything's a rush to get to the end- lots of people are doing TTF or RF and that's totally fine, don't get me wrong. If someone wants to play those quests and powerlevel, by all means, do so.

But I've never been interested in TTF or RF which, in essence is a condensed run-through of the episodes. Sure the EXP rates are great and the drops are wonderful on Ultimate, but I feel like it's the only quest anyone is ever interested in anymore. 

I couldn't get someone to do one of the Phantasmal world quests on Ep2 if it was to save my life. and Regular Non-mission hunting seems to always get someone who wants to drag me into TTF. And then after that it becomes a barrage of "I've got a billion level 200 characters, I can solo ultimate this and that, you HAVE to play the game this certain way and chain PB or donate Photons or else you're not good at the game, etc, etc."

I mean today I got roped into RF without thinking and beforehand, the only part of EP2 i had experienced was the jungle and VR missions. and I thought those were super cool- I mean blow me away awesome. I couldn't stop listening to the jungle soundtrack. But then today I got rushed through EP2 in a quest, fought Olga Flow amongst other really cool bosses (like Gal Gryphon) and then when we finished the first thing i heard was "want me to go onto a level 200 character so i can powerlevel you?"

I had to tell her what i tell lots of people who ask- I'm just not interested in powerleveling and repeatedly bashing my controller against my head because we're doing TTF for the Millionth time. and then not knowing what people mean when they start using acronyms I'm unfamiliar with.

I think it was like a few weeks ago i logged off despondently when I was talked down to for not knowing about damage canceling on Dark Falz. I felt really bad about the whole thing and I didn't log on again for a few days because I was being chastised for trying to play the game well and then getting snarked at when i messed up. 

It feels like the only way I can play my favorite game anymore is alone on solo mode, because even if I try to play co-op with the missions I want to do, either nobody comes or the first thing I hear is "lets switch to TTF/RF".

I admit my weapons aren't the most amazing and my mag isn't the top tier mag of all time, but I enjoyed worked on them and putting in the time to get those items. And I really liked playing the Gov Quests and doing side missions and the custom quests added in.

Hopefully I'll find some more like minded people in the future, but it kinda sucks that everywhere I go, I feel like I'm one bad agreement away from being railroaded into doing another powerleveling quest.

There’s people who play different quests besides that. A lot of ultima has become rt/ttf but there’s niche groups playing all sorts of quests. I wouldn’t worry too much about people “talking down” on you cause I’m sure those same people make the same mistakes all the time. 

I'll go or take you anywhere you wanna go you're brave enough to tread good sir.

I've got lvl 200 characters or others that are near your range, which ever you'd like to run with.

I've been doing alot of DQ Builders 2 on Steam lately, but I'll take a break for a bit and hit up the server from time to time.

Look for my Tri or Quad characters and hit me up if you see me running about Ace.

Regardless, good luck and good journey man. :onion-head11:

It should also be said that for those who are new to the game (which for me, are already more than the old players, if not, someone who denies me please) The missions "TTF RT and POD" are the most famous missions and "simple" so to speak. These missions for the new public are flashy and entertaining and are not so long, that is why sometimes there is a lot of spam from those missions, but after all they are the best! when you show the game to someone for the first time I think you take it to a TTF first, and that person feels good! Of course, as this person progresses, he will want to experience new missions, of which let me tell you, there are enough on the server :)

• Like 1

Welcome to Ultima! Sorry you had a sour experience. I've been in the same boat! Here are a few insights into why this my be the case and what you can do to get around it. Trust me, this game is still very much a fun game to play! 😉👍

Most folks have played all the standard vanilla missions (forest --> ruins, temple --> seabed, desert --> subdesert) in this game, so going to play through them can be a little slow for those who have played this game a lot. (long stretches going from room to room with few enemies, sometimes getting lost, sometimes getting stuck when a locked door requires multiple people to unlock). Add to the fact that these same folks probably have decent gear, so running through the vanilla freeplay levels can be a breeze. An easy fix is to play missions with high number of enemies / higher challenge.

QUESTS, QUESTS QUESTS. There are tons of quests on this server, many of which are custom that have mad-fun spawns (way more enemies than normal) These days, I usually play these and put the name of the mission in the party name so others joining will know  exactly what to expect.

1️⃣ Free play in one of the stages while you wait for more people to join.

2️⃣ Once you have a solid party, have everyone meet at the Hunter's Guild to start the quest.

3️⃣ When everyone is at the Hunter's Guild counter, go to the ULTIMA section, and you'll see a bunch of custom quests. Most of the missions in this section will have way more spawns than usual. Choose one and have fun!

4️⃣ At the end of the mission, see if anyone from the party will want to join in for another quest.

Unless there's a push for me to play RT/TTF (power leveling a char, or hunting an event exclusive item), then I usually can't be bothered to play them because I've burned out of those myself 😅. I bet you a stack of 999,999 🟨 meseta that many other people feel the same way and would be happy to try something different, provided there's a good challenge (more enemies/spawns).

Also,  you may have luck using the discord group to help form parties beforehand.

See ya in game!

Example of Episode 2 custom quests:

image.thumb.png.1547de21111f44f2d0b428a9e1dd69af.png

• Like 1

I like playing various quests too. I do see where you're coming from as well. The way it's structured here is having a few key quests that are hot to hunt any given items during any given event.

Then there are the TTF/RT spam for those trying to level and get somewhere.

I do personally wish there was something in place that can give exposure to the great many quests that are on this server.

(Phantasmal World series is great btw)

Thank you all so much for your support guys. I'm glad you feel the same- to tell the truth I was a little afraid that I was gonna get ostracized for not wanting to TTF/RT all the time.

In fact, I think I might have found my answer to this issue. Had a great Vanilla group yesterday on EP2. I just called the room "Hunting" and we all just ran at the Vanilla experience of Episode 2.

The OST in EP2 is so bombastically well done that I think I, in a bit of a guilty conscience, may enjoy it a bit more than EP1. However, I've done EP1 like a bajillion times.

Maybe the key to finding a good group is just doing whatever the heck you want and naming it something cool so people will come in.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, RestrictedWings said:

Thank you all so much for your support guys. I'm glad you feel the same- to tell the truth I was a little afraid that I was gonna get ostracized for not wanting to TTF/RT all the time.

In fact, I think I might have found my answer to this issue. Had a great Vanilla group yesterday on EP2. I just called the room "Hunting" and we all just ran at the Vanilla experience of Episode 2.

The OST in EP2 is so bombastically well done that I think I, in a bit of a guilty conscience, may enjoy it a bit more than EP1. However, I've done EP1 like a bajillion times.

Maybe the key to finding a good group is just doing whatever the heck you want and naming it something cool so people will come in.

You welcome 😄 

Hi Restricted,

If I'm on, I'd love to hunt with you, whether it be through a quest or just farming vanilla stages. I'll also gladly bank my best weps/gear so we can feel the struggle if you'd like that. Some of the most fun I've ever had in MMOs was when I constantly wiped to bosses or monsters with my friends, and I don't believe that being the "strongest" or "most efficient" always translates to having the most fun.

I fell in love with PSO on GC by running through vanilla stages with my siblings (without quests), and you're absolutely right that this game has WAY more to offer other than RT/CCA/TTF. I feel like the massive XP quests are useful when you want your first lvl. 200 and just want to be able to access the endgame quests or play with really good players. But the way I see it, this server already rewards boosted XP and you can only hit lvl. 200 once on a character, so you should enjoy that journey how you see fit--whether that be hunting a specific drop, exploring different areas, or trying out new quests. I've actually kinda started to stray away from RT/CCA/TTF unless I'm running it for newer players on lower difficulties because I feel like leveling up is a big part of the game, and being powerleveled kind of takes that aspect of the game away from me.

Hit me up if you ever see me online, and we can hunt together!

Edited by Nills
  • Like 2