The impending PSOBB Exodus... to PSO2?

Since last year's E3 announcement, I have been thinking alot about this...

Hell I've even been watching the PSO2: The Animation released in 2016 this week in huge anticipation of the western release of PSO2 for Xbox and PC, haha!

So on one hand, I'm very pumped to check out the stuff that I've only been able to watch and see via youtube from others who were playing on the japanese server using the unofficial english patch.

I'm curious to see all the stuff the PSO2 japanese players have been enjoying for years now and all the changes they've made to the game from PSO to PSO2.

On the other hand, I know full well there are many PSOBB players who are going to "jump ship" headlong into PSO2 from respective private PSOBB servers when it gets released here.

I anticipate this is going to devastate the player base for PSOBB private servers (including Ultima) and I'm thinking it may even force the smaller private servers to close.

Okay, so while I know many are going to say...  "Tri, it sucks."  Or... "It's not the same game Tri, you may not like it."  This may be true.

However, people like myself that have been playing PSOBB for years now have pretty much "done" the game.

I'm looking to see what PSO2 has to offer.  Granted, I'm no where near ready to give up my Tri and Quad accounts for PSO2, but I imagine they will not see significant play once PSO2 is released.

Anywhooooo....  I'm curious to hear from the community your thoughts about this, if you plan to move on to PSO2 or stay either way.

Regardless, I hope to see some of you in PSO2, at least I know I'll see some of my fellow Triforce teammates there for sure.

-Tri

Edited by Trigunman
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Trigunman said:

Since last year's E3 announcement, I have been thinking alot about this...

Hell I've even been watching the PSO2: The Animation released in 2016 this week in huge anticipation of the western release of PSO2 for Xbox and PC, haha!

So on one hand, I'm very pumped to check out the stuff that I've only been able to watch and see via youtube from others who were playing on the japanese server using the unofficial english patch.

I'm curious to see all the stuff the PSO2 japanese players have been enjoying for years now and all the changes they've made to the game from PSO to PSO2.

On the other hand, I know full well there are many PSOBB who are going to "jump ship" headlong into PSO2 from respective private PSOBB servers when it gets released here.

I anticipate this is going to devastate the player base for PSOBB private servers (including Ultima) and I'm thinking it may even force the smaller private servers to close.

Okay, so while I know many are going to say...  "Tri, it sucks."  Or... "It's not the same game Tri, you may not like it."  This may be true.

However, people like myself that have been playing PSOBB for years now have pretty much "done" the game.

I'm looking to see what PSO2 has to offer.  Granted, I'm no where near ready to give up my Tri and Quad accounts for PSO2, but I imagine they will not see significant play once PSO2 is released.

Anywhooooo....  I'm curious to hear from the community your thoughts about this, if you plan to move on to PSO2 or stay either way.

Regardless, I hope to see some of you in PSO2, at least I know I'll see some of my fellow Triforce teammates there for sure.

-Tri

I think with the amount of time and effort people invested into this and the minor inconveniences and paywalls that are native to PSO2 people will test the waters but many will also realize it is too different for their taste. I think this place will survive just do to human nature and its resistance to change. I personally will still play here during events and what not but yes I will be split if I were to guess 75% PSO2 and 25% PSOBB and see how it goes from there. Either way having options is nice!

• Like 1

There’s a very similar thread to this on other forums and I’ll share what I thought seemed like good thoughts from there. 

The truth is PSO2 has been out for 8 years. The players who wanted to play it have. The game also isn’t the same as PSO and that’s the truth. It lacks the depth PSO1 has. It surely will draw attention. It won’t be the death of any private servers and I actually think it’ll trickle down to us getting more players by reminding or allowing other gamer to discover that BB/GC PSO still exist. If the game was so good it was gonna kill server counts it would’ve already done so. Many people also play both games. I don’t foresee any issues myself. 

• Thanks 1

Lol I've been on pso2 for almost 2 years, and I still pop on here (psobb) for events or time to time to say hi. Personally for me it's been too difficult to juggle more than one MMOs and RL. I have even been playing less on pso2 now. However I don't think pso2 being released for the west will be the death of this server. It will find a way to live on. Even if it only gets a spike of life during events. Once GM's don't shut it down, I'm sure it will live on.

• Like 2

Played PSU but was glad to still have PSOBB around. Hopefully Ultima will still be going even after PSO2 becomes unprofitable.

psu20120918_231412_003.png

Edited by zoom
forgot a word
  • Like 1