1440p Monitor, what resolution?

My monitor is 2560x1440.  I like ultima servers better but can't find the right resolution for PSO.  When I put that custom resolution in the font is too tiny, even though the game itself looks nice.

The Schtack servers aren't as populated as ultima so I I prefer ultima but one thing I like about Schtack is that it has black borders on the side so you get a good resolution but same aspect ratio as original. 

Edited by Hadley

I assume that is your maximum resolution?  I currently run mine at 1680x1050 and the icons/text are perfect to me, not too big, not too small.

You'll want to try a few resolutions below your maximum until you hopefully find your "sweet spot" between high resolution and font/icons that are readable.

I use the Windowed Borderless Gaming app to set my game to desktop resolution to allow also for full screen/windowed hybrid mode, that might give you a bit more flexibility in your resolutions and it might handle it better than the game client can.  This also allows you to run the game full screen and still ALT+TAB to other programs while the game is running.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Trigunman

I have a 1440p monitor.  I tried the custom 2560x1440p resolution in options, but the font is way too small.

For the other server, they put black bars on the sides which makes the game look nice by delivering the same aspect ratio as the original, I was hoping to find out how to have that happen on this server.

On 1/28/2020 at 7:37 PM, Trigunman said:

I assume that is your maximum resolution?  I currently run mine at 1680x1050 and the icons/text are perfect to me, not too big, not too small.

You'll want to try a few resolutions below your maximum until you hopefully find your "sweet spot" between high resolution and font/icons that are readable.

I use the Windowed Borderless Gaming app to set my game to desktop resolution to allow also for full screen/windowed hybrid mode, that might give you a bit more flexibility in your resolutions and it might handle it better than the game client can.  This also allows you to run the game full screen and still ALT+TAB to other programs while the game is running.

Hope this helps!

I suppose you might use WBG on other games but we added "Virtual fullscreen" and it does exactly that... make a window but set it as the display resolution with no border or title bar.

5 hours ago, Hadley said:

I have a 1440p monitor.  I tried the custom 2560x1440p resolution in options, but the font is way too small.

For the other server, they put black bars on the sides which makes the game look nice by delivering the same aspect ratio as the original, I was hoping to find out how to have that happen on this server.

As @nnorton44 said, you can use a lower resolution for the HUD (when you use custom resolution it lets you input both).
I'd recommend something like 1280x720, it should look just fine.

• Thanks 1