New player question

Annath

So after reading up a bit, I think I understand the concept of MAGs and how they work:

They provide stat buffs to your character based on their stats, they have an attack ability that charges up, they increase in level and get new stats based on what you feed them, and they can evolve into new forms based on their stats.

My question is, as a new player, how do I know what kind of MAG is most effective for me? I see all sorts of guides for how to get a particular MAG form, but I'm not sure on how I decide what form I should be going for in the first place.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

To reach certain max stats you should get a specific trained MAG.
But if your new, just train it to the mag.

If your a hunter/Ranger try something like a 5/145/50/0
If your a FO try something like 5/0/0/195/

It it hard to train a MAG perfect but there are enough guides for this.

Also, if you get some currency (photon drops or donation tickets)
Photon drops are in game and donation tickets are on forum, 1DT = 7PD-ish

@JADE sells mags for good prices, you can hit her up.

Hope this helps

Edited by Orukei
  • Like 2

If you have downloaded the mag simulator program Magatama Beta9 that I linked for you in your last thread, you'll find it also has a MagDex in it.

This has stats and info on nearly every mag in the game, save the Love Rappy.(server exclusive)

With this, you can see the mags possible PB bursts, it's feeding tables and it's possible actions at near death/10% health, at character death, enter a boss room or at 100% PB energy.  Mags like Sato, Nidra, Tellusis, Soniti and Love Rappy all have nearly all Invulnerability actions and even Reverser at death.  This makes for a great mag for many characters, namely for HUs and FOs, Satos are particularly valued for this as well as being ahem, "super cute." :onion-head65:

The main thing you want to look for is whether or not how easy it is to get Twins/Mylla & Youlla and what the mag's actions are at the above circumstances.  This is particularly useful for characters who cannot cast shifta and deband, like HUmars and Casts in general.

It's stats are purely what you wish them to be, save 5 def, unless you get a PPP mag that has completely zero stats.

Above all, you must raise the mag's stats exactly as Magatama shows to in order to get the mag to evolve into what you want it to be, save of course with some you'll need a mag cell to trigger it's evolution.

Other than that, you'd need to refer to a mag guide to see how to trigger it's evolutions to the final mag form you want.

Also take note, you may need someone to help you with this if you don't have the right character class or section ID to trigger a certain mag evolution.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Edited by Trigunman
  • Like 1

as a new player I would suggest you buy your first mag.. its a long tedious task to perfect train one, especially as a new player.. you don't wanna be alt tabbing to check a guide all the time, focus on leveling and when you are strong enough spam Int. Defense Systems quest for photon drops if you have the patience... its around 15PD for a mag from @JADE  this can be as few as 15 runs or as many as 30 its RNG but the drop rate is roughly 70% from the hidden box on the quest.

Here is a guide for the hidden box: 

note: not my video

You know, I also raise mags for people, gives me something to do while I play.   You can hit me up with questions too, I've made my own guide for mags since many of the online feeding charts are inaccurate and some are downright wrong.   

Let me know if I can raise a mag for you.

Please note I specialize in 4th evolution mags, Rati, sato, nidra, etc etc and I can make just about any mag you want provided you supply the mag cell if you want something special like agastya or tellusis or ciao or something.   Let me know if I can help you. 

I let you pick the color, photon blasts, and stats you want, then I raise the mag accordingly.   

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hey, sorry for my total dumbkoff ignorance here, but I hardly understand much of what is being said.

From a comment in this thread:

-What are those numbers?  Are they the levels for each mag characteristic - DEX, POWER, DEX, MIND????

-My character is a big clunky robot called a "RAcast", and the ID is "Whitill".  Does anyone know what either (or both) of those terms mean????

Thanks for any information on this

But in case anyone else stumbles across this thread, I found this link online and found that it answered so many questions I had about mags, and informed me on things I did not know:

https://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=1034

On 6/10/2023 at 5:05 AM, System7 said:

Hey, sorry for my total dumbkoff ignorance here, but I hardly understand much of what is being said.

From a comment in this thread:

-What are those numbers?  Are they the levels for each mag characteristic - DEX, POWER, DEX, MIND????

-My character is a big clunky robot called a "RAcast", and the ID is "Whitill".  Does anyone know what either (or both) of those terms mean????

Thanks for any information on this

But in case anyone else stumbles across this thread, I found this link online and found that it answered so many questions I had about mags, and informed me on things I did not know:

https://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=1034

Nice necro , did you really read what was being spoken?

It does say mag , so common sense would say they are talking about mags , and stats would then apply to mags.

Ra stands for ranger and id would correspond to what type of mag can evolve for said ID's .

The link you have provided does not explain this here is a link where you can see what id will evolve mag etc

https://pso.fandom.com/wiki/MAG

best of luck

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/14/2023 at 7:59 AM, ink said:

Nice necro , did you really read what was being spoken?

It does say mag , so common sense would say they are talking about mags , and stats would then apply to mags.

Ra stands for ranger and id would correspond to what type of mag can evolve for said ID's .

The link you have provided does not explain this here is a link where you can see what id will evolve mag etc

https://pso.fandom.com/wiki/MAG

best of luck

While that link will go neck deep into the subject of mags..... It only gives you the feeding chart of the mag you're viewing whereas several mags use the same chart - so why not make it efficient.... I don't know, I didn't make the site.   That site also does not go into any of the mag cell combinations / evolutions other than a sentence at the bottom.  Raising one of those mags deserves more than a sentence IMHO.

When I started playing PSO back in 2001 when it came out on the GameCube, I got the official players guide which did have all the feeding charts in them..... but I noticed several inconsistancies from what the players guide said to what I personally observed. 

So.....  I made my own Maglopedia, complete with nearly everything you need to know about mags..... *** DISCLAIMER ***  My maglopedia will NOT go into activation rates based on what lv IQ and Syncro are.... IMHO there's information, and then there's information overload.

When I made my maglopedia, I wanted it to be as correct as possible .... So I figured out a way to convert the olde school CRT light lines into values and put those as the numbers in each of 12 feeding charts that are in my guide.  As the years went on and TVs upgraded to LCD panels and now LED TVs and 4K Variants, the precision of pixels is such that my numbers were able to be updated to more accurate values.

When I was done, I went and compared my numbers with a myriad of other sites such as this very forum, pso-world.com, SEGA.com/pso1&2 and others just to see how close i was to what the official stuff is.  My numbers are pretty spot on.  In a couple of the feeding charts my number is off by 1 either up or down on one of the values and I figured that was good enough since I based my number on what I personally observed.

I hope my guide, my Maglopedia can help you out if you want to raise mags for fun, or if  you want to get into raising mags for others for say, PDs or something - I hear that can be quite lucrative since raising a baby mag to lv 200 takes a good deal of time and in-game meseta and there are players out there who would happily buy a lv 200 mag raised to exacting standards so they can concentrate and what they want to do and not have to worry about raising a mag, slowing down their desired gameplay.

Cheers everyone!!

-Z

The Maglopedia.pdf

Edited by Zandres
grammar and syntax

7 minutes ago, Zandres said:

No you are wrong it does show all feeding charts click on the mag evolve , it loads their feeding charts . Doh!!! Your feeding charts are for before blue burst based off pso gamecube

Edited by ink

14 minutes ago, ink said:

No you are wrong it does show all feeding charts click on the mag evolve , it loads their feeding charts . Doh!!!

It also doesn't go into any of the mag cell evolutions.... it makes mention of them, that there are mag cells out there for certain evolutions but doesn't go into any other detail than that.

Edited by Zandres

2 minutes ago, ink said:

@Zandres Still dont change the fact your charts are before blue burst

My charts have updated numbers BASED ON PERSONAL OBSERVATIONS which I have made on Ultima Server PSO

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

thank you for this information!

by the way, Zandres, I played on the Dreamcast system so long ago....did that precede GameCube?  I think so, by 2 years at most, perhaps.  I think it was the year 2000.  Wow...that was amazing at the time.  If I were to stay on late enough, I'd run into players from Japan who were logging in.

Some weekends, you could NOT even get into the game!  It was incredibly busy and there was no room on the server!  After maybe 1 1/2 years or less, that all went downhill in a hurry - the sharks and FSOD made it miserable.  Gone were the crowds of colorful characters, created by users across the globe, and the fun of a four-person quests, etc.

I digress!  haha  

But thank you both for your input on this, and thanks, Zandres for that .pdf.... I will read it eventually.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2023 at 7:04 PM, System7 said:

thank you for this information!

by the way, Zandres, I played on the Dreamcast system so long ago....did that precede GameCube?  I think so, by 2 years at most, perhaps.  I think it was the year 2000.  Wow...that was amazing at the time.  If I were to stay on late enough, I'd run into players from Japan who were logging in.

Some weekends, you could NOT even get into the game!  It was incredibly busy and there was no room on the server!  After maybe 1 1/2 years or less, that all went downhill in a hurry - the sharks and FSOD made it miserable.  Gone were the crowds of colorful characters, created by users across the globe, and the fun of a four-person quests, etc.

I digress!  haha  

But thank you both for your input on this, and thanks, Zandres for that .pdf.... I will read it eventually.

You're gonna kill me.....I found another error I need to fix in my maglopedia when I was raising a mag for someone....it just irritates me after taking careful measurement and great care in making my .pdf .... Sigh.  I'll get it fixed eventually....