Please play Phantasy Star Online

Hello everyone. Good to see you all.

My name is Wyatt, but most of my friends call me Varista.

The topic of discussion for this thread is specifically is Phantasy Star Online. You might be familiar with this game, it's very special to a lot of us, myself included. Fact is, PSO has been dying for some time now. I have a deep passion for this game and its survival as I know lots of others also have.

We all play PSO, this wonderful game has brought so many people together. Some of you have played more than others, but that hardly matters at this point. We all play, that's what matters the most—you might be wondering exactly why I say this? It's because I care about this game and the community within it.

Through thick and thin this game has continued to draw in more and more attention after the death of the officials. It's because of the dedication to excellence that this community strives to maintain that makes this game such an overwhelming success in the face of absolute destruction. Phantasy Star is special in this way almost exclusively. A vibrant community ready to embrace every new and old player ready to engage themselves with this masterpiece. This game is by no means perfect and neither is everybody within this community... but that's what makes it even more special that despite everything we can come together and continue to grow this game into something much more than I think even Sega and Sonic Team even had the creative capacity for.

Between the incredibly talented developers that continue to develop new and innovating content for each and every server that still stands to this day—to the work that the admins of these servers do to maintaining an environment that allows players like myself to continue playing with the friends I make—all the way to the people that dedicate themselves and their time to assisting in the publication of the game we spend hours and hours playing each night—this game thrives off the hard work and continued dedication of every single player that plays.

I don't mean just this community, the individual server community that this thread might exist within, or the external chat service this message might reach out to. I am speaking to the PSO community. Despite dividing ourselves among several different platforms and servers, we all stand together under this one singular game as one single entity. You might even say that we are all the Stars in Phantasy Star. Each and every one of us. Not all of us may get along, as to be expected, not all of us play on the same platforms, or even really play on the same server, but we all play this game and we should unite our efforts together. Despite the differences, despite the setbacks, despite the grudges. We can and should drop the past, drop the issues and in-fighting and just settle things together. We should be fighting for this game and the people we love to be together with. I'm a Gamecube player, my friends are almost all Gamecube players. But I don't simply limit myself or restrict myself to such a platform, or the server in which I derive from. Settle your differences, settle your scores, and reset.

I ask this of you, in addition to asking you to continue making this game amazing. If you're an artist that likes to make art of the game, continue to make art for it—if you're a video producer like myself that likes to spend hours and hours editing footage for this game, continue to record and edit—if you're a streamer that wants nothing more than to turn on your stream and see players come and hang out with you in the chat room to enjoy PSO together, continue streaming—if you're a developer that loves to create new and interesting ways for your fellow players to interact with the game, continue developing—if you're an admin that wants nothing more than to provide a place for your friends and fellow players to play on, continue to provide, and I will continue to play—if you're a fellow player that wishes to keep logging in every day and play with their friends and family that you enjoy this game so much with... keep logging on and playing. Please. Please keep doing what you are doing.

There will always be competitiveness among different servers, but please try to keep it positive competitiveness. Please attempt to try to keep every aspect and point of view in mind when you remember this game and the people who play it. At the end of the day, we're all PSO players, we all love and cherish this game together. Keep things positive, don't burn bridges between different servers and admins. You may never know who will be around to help you in the future, you may never know what might happen.

All I want for this game is to continue. That's my hope and dream. I will continue to do my part in getting players interested in this game that we have continued to keep alive through thick and thin over the many years. The death of the officials, didn't stop us, so nothing else should either. I appreciate everything each and every one of you do. This is my address to the PSO community. To the most faithful community to a game that was supposed to completely die so many years ago.

Please keep playing Phantasy Star Online.

Thank you for reading.

-Varista

• Like 8

Throughout my life I've played this game since it came out in some capacity or another, from the launch of the Dreamcast version being overloaded with crappy Varistas, to the Gamecube version and then Blue Burst. I played on the Schthack server for years, making friends and farming. Most games don't travel with me in the same way PSO does. Many years after I stopped playing on Schthack and the subsequent loss of all my characters that followed a few years after, I wasn't sure anyone played PSO anymore. The world changed, I changed. I have less time then I once did. More obligations, responsibilities. Anytime I considered trying a new server, the loss of my high level RAmarl almost felt like an end to my time with the game. This old gem was able to draw me back in.

Even with all the new games that have come out from the time I last set foot on Pioneer 2 until now, PSO is still a game I really enjoy spending my free time on. With that being said, I want to thank the people who made this server possible, and kept it going. I wouldn't be able to play otherwise. Yes, there are other servers but like I said, everything's different in my life now and I absolutely don't have the time to invest in the game to get back to where I once was, not on a vanilla or heavily modded experience. Ultima is somewhere in the middle, and I'm very thankful for that.

• Like 1

It's beautiful what you say, man sincerely. But to be honest as far as I'm concerned, if the server company dies, there must be a good reason. Maybe other server offers content that players are looking for, maybe also some players have had bad experiences on this server with other players. And then, maybe if some content was not reserved only for some players in particular (the elite) then this would not suck jealousies. Anyway for me, I started on this server, and I continued to play on it. What I find just a pity is that I have experienced experiences that make me prefer to play alone rather than with people right now.

• Like 2

PSOBB has a number of great things going for it.

It's free, with an number of private servers to play it from, with no legal oversight from SEGA.(and thankfully they no longer care)

It's player base is from all over the world, most server populations are pretty friendly and helpful.

It's old enough now that nearly all kinds of information and data on how to excel in the game is available through sites like www.pso-world.com.

It's game engine is hackable to the extent that new items, weapons and armor can be created into the game on respective servers, given the talents and abilities of it's staff.

The game itself can run on a number of different platforms, namely PCs and nowadays, can run smoothly and at high resolutions with relatively minimal PC hardware.

Considering it's a game that was released on console (v1) back in 2000, then with PSOBB for PC in 2004 and even after SEGA closed the official servers here in North America in 2003, the fact this game is still being played even in 2019 is nothing short of remarkable for a MMORPG and may outlive nearly all of it's predecessors.  The fanbase and private servers have the possibility to continue as long as there are always people wanting to play the game and enough to maintain a server population to support it, which means there is no telling when, where or how, if ever, the game will cease as we know it.

As long as the memories of this game exist and there are private servers to play it, PSO will live on in the hearts and minds of it's players, past and present, well into the future.

Long live Phantasy Star Online!  :onion-head11:

Edited by Trigunman
  • Like 2