Soly's PSOBB Input Mapping tool

EDIT:This issue has been solved by asking a developer to delete server-side control configurations.  It has also been stated that this will not be done again if there are further issues due to critical connectivity failure between the keyboard peripheral and the human in front of it.
Guildcard: 42110792
Character Slot: all
Date/Time: Thursday, May 23, 2019 (as of June 12th, 2019, this is no longer an issue.)
Description: Below
Comment: Currently Unable to play

Sigh

Alright, I'm going to skip over everything that I did to get here because frankly, I can't be arsed.  The short of the story is that I REFUSE to use the keyboard for this game.  I utterly and completely refuse.  After a series of desperate actions I wound up downloading Soly's PSOBB Input Mapping tool so that I could change many of the game pad controls to enable joytokey to properly function with modifier buttons.  PSOBB has this obnoxious habit of reading your controller inputs directly regardless of what you're telling joytokey to do.  So if i press the A button, no matter what modifier keys i have set on joytokey, or even if i make it to where that button is supposed to be disabled, the game reads the input anyway.  This is why I downloaded Soly's Input Mapping tool so that I could change all my controls either to NONE (which didn't work) or to "Button 16" which doesn't exist on my controller.  This would allow me to, step by step, control the game the way I wanted.  Unfortunately, after changing these controls, the KEYBOARD CONTROLS are now completely destroyed and I don't know how to fix them.  I am now unable to log into the server because on character select, pressing enter, esc, or the END key results in all commands that I changed to button 16 to trigger at once.

I have already tried uninstalling the game and reinstalling, manually deleting the logs and crying.  So two questions:  Is there a location on my computer where the gamepad configs are stored that I have failed to delete? 
EDIT: This has been answered.  No, there is no location on my/the user's computer.  All control schemes are saved server-side.  If you are looking to remove all launcher options such as login information and graphics options, it was found on my computer using regedit, at HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-471330482-451288726-1735837332-1000\Software\SonicTeam.  Deleting the SonicTeam folder will reset these options back to default.  Again, this does NOT include your control schemes.
and
If not and its stored on the server or something, I might need someone to try and fix it for me.

Here is a link to Soly's PSOBB Input Mapping tool  or at least the forum that it's on if you need more information on it.

Edited by Foxen

Geeez c'mon, what did the big bad mean keyboard ever do to you? :onion108:

Heh, seriously though, breaking it's functionality wasn't necessary...  My Logitech F310 has keymapping within it's own software/driver suite.

There is more than one way to skin a cat as they say.

Bottom line, your keyboard in PSOBB is now completely borked you say?  You've tried trying to find any and all PSOBB .ini files, anything related to the keyboard binds?

Alright...  Well as far as I can guess, there is one last place you probably haven't tried on your hard drive but this one will be the most difficult and tricky to try to rectify.

Your Windows Registry file.  My educated guess is to try to find any and all Sega/PSOBB/Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst registry entry references and delete them completely out of the registry, (REGEDIT.EXE) hopefully one of them is tied to your forced keyboard binds.  Then try to completely reinstall the game with the original Ultima PSOBB installer .exe file.

Again, this is quite risky, one wrong registry entry deletion can possibly seriously screw up your Windows install or another installed program.  However, you've exhausted all other avenues of solving your problem, this is a last-ditch solution so tread carefully Foxen.

Hope this helps, good luck, you're gonna need it.

Edited by Trigunman
  • Like 2

I wouldn't have an earthly clue how to remove the registry entry for PSOBB, so I would prefer to search for any wayward .ini files I may have missed.  I've searched through program files, windows, and appdata with no luck trying to find them.  If there are .ini files, then they are not located where the game is installed and do not disappear upon uninstallation.  Is there a known location where configurations are stored that I missed other than the installation folder?

I just updated my post with how to edit the registry, use REGEDIT.exe, just type it from the search line from your Windows Start button.

From there, you can do a word search in REGEDIT to find the words "SEGA", "PSOBB", "Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst" throughout the entire Windows Registry file.

Once found, delete ONLY THOSE KEYS AND ENTRIES, nothing more.  Exit REGEDIT.exe (it saves on exit) and then pray...

Then the moment of truth will come to see if it worked.

Looking for more .ini files?  Good luck, even I wouldn't know where else to look, I also highly doubt the PSOBB install would put .ini files elsewhere on the install drive.  I base this on the conclusion of that I play this game occasionally off a USB thumb drive on other computers, with only the install folder on the thumb drive.

Edited by Trigunman

I thought I had fixed this issue. 

I had found a registry folder named HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-471330482-451288726-1735837332-1000\Software\SonicTeam\PSOBB by searching for the word "Phantasy".

I deleted the SonicTeam folder.

While this removed system and Launcher.exe settings, login information, graphics and sound settings, when I reached character select, the previous control issue persisted.

Edited by Foxen
  • Like 1

Update: I have been unable to fix this issue on my end.  I have searched for "Sega", "PSOBB", "Phantasy", "Redria", "Sonic", "SonicTeam", "Ultima", and "Endmyexistence".  After deleting all relevant data related to PSOBB and Ultima, I don't think that I'm able to fix this on my end.  My only thought is that it must save the configurations serverside?  Any further assistance with this issue would be greatly appreciated As I am unable to play otherwise, thank you!  I do not have another system to install PSOBB Ultima on to test if my theory is correct, I'm sorry.

Edited by Foxen
  • Dw 1

With your results Foxen, I too am convinced there must be some information to the accounts based server-side regarding the key config for PSOBB.

It would explain how I can just copy and paste the entire PSOBB folder to a thumb drive, run it off another computer/laptop and it still all works without a hitch.

I pray Soly will read this and chime in with his thoughts and hopefully, a solution for ya hon.

There are no control settings client side, only server side.
I find interesting that you ended up breaking the whole thing, can you give me you guildcard?

For the controller to NOT be read by the game, I believe connecting it after starting the game works.

Unfortunately I don't know how to find my guildcard number without logging in.  I could give you the character names and levels though, would that help at all?

Foxen lvl 143 RAcaseal Redria, Black maid outfit, Sato mag with full CUSTOM RAY/BARRIER/ARMOR VER.00 set. Units installed on armor include Heavenly/Battle, and I believe God/Power
Callista lvl 102 Hucaseal Oran, Pink color scheme
Foxen lvl 43 FOnewearl Pinkal, Blue color scheme
Lunestra lvl 27 HUnewearl Skyly, Red/black color scheme

I'm not sure any of that will help you find the proper account, if not, I'm sorry.

Edited by Foxen

Foxen, have you tried using THIS?

https://www.phantasystaronline.net/forum/index.php?/tool-box/character-viewer/

Just enter your login information for the game, complete the captcha and you can see your characters items, bank items, common bank items, character level, character info AND guildcard # for that account.

Foxen, have you tried using THIS?

https://www.phantasystaronline.net/forum/index.php?/tool-box/character-viewer/

Just enter your login information for the game, complete the captcha and you can see your characters items, bank items, common bank items, character level, character info AND guildcard # for that account.

I had no idea that was a thing, thank you so much!

I find interesting that you ended up breaking the whole thing, can you give me you guildcard?

My guildcard # is 42110792!

Edited by Foxen
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...