Making a FOmarl

buu11235

I am looking to build a FOmarl as a battle mage/supporting FO, and I read Zynetics FO guide from 2011, and I was wondering if there are any changes recommended from his list of equipment

Battle Mage Weapons

Rambling May

Vivienne

Last Swan

Excalibur

Charge Mechguns (50H+)

Diska of Braveman (45H+) with Thirteen

Slicer of Fanatic 

Bringer's Rifle (50H) 

Support Weaponry

Glide Divine and Tyrell's Parasol 

Armour

Thirteen

Lieutenant Mantle (if it has Trap Vision)

Aura Field / Virus Armour:Lafuteria

Units

V101 (when using any sort of melee weapon)

V801 (always keep this equipped if you can)

Smartlink (when using any sort of ranged weapon; slicers included)

Fill any blanks with Heavenly/Arms or Heavenly/HP. They are the best choices.

Shields

Resta Merge

Red Ring 

Nuking Merges

Thanks for any help

Edited by buu11235

Odds are you won't be teching much on a FOmarl, she's more of a melee/support force. For a starter, that's a general guideline of what to aim for, but when you get more familiar with Ultima and its weapons, there's custom stuff that'll improve that loadout. Although for Armor, I'd suggest Kroe's Sweater, at least in end-game. Also Cent/battle is an upgrade to v101 here, although it might be difficult for a newer person to obtain.

• Like 1

For FOmarl you'd be a bit more attack damage centered than tech damage so a lot of your gear wouldn't be tech related items. That guide while still good is a bit outdated with items. You'll definitely want some good support techs(Shifta, Deband, etc). 

54 minutes ago, buu11235 said:

Battle Mage Weapons

Rambling May

Vivienne

Last Swan

Excalibur

Charge Mechguns (50H+)

Diska of Braveman (45H+) with Thirteen

Slicer of Fanatic 

Bringer's Rifle (50H) 

Support Weaponry

Glide Divine and Tyrell's Parasol 

Armour

Thirteen

Lieutenant Mantle (if it has Trap Vision)

Aura Field / Virus Armour:Lafuteria

Units

V101 (when using any sort of melee weapon)

V801 (always keep this equipped if you can)

Smartlink (when using any sort of ranged weapon; slicers included)

Fill any blanks with Heavenly/Arms or Heavenly/HP. They are the best choices.

Shields

Resta Merge

Red Ring 

Nuking Merges

Rambling May is strictly outclassed by Lindcray these days so you'd be better off looking for that rather than RM.

Excalibur is amazing but there is a bit of an upgraded version in Hundred Souls that you'd want in addition to Excal or instead of.

For armor you'd probably want Kroes Sweater until you can upgrade to Sonic Team Armour.

V101 is pretty much never used any more as Centurion/Battle has 110% speed boost compared to V101s 40%. I also would look towards Centurion/Resist, Centurion/Body, Proof of Sword Saint, and maybe even Trap Search before either of those recommended units.

• Like 1

This is my Battlemage Fomarl build that I've found to be very streamlined.  I find that between Glide and Maracas I rarely have to use other weapons.  If I need single target damage for a boss, Lindcray works.  If I need multi target damage for a hoard, Banana Cannon works.  But most of the time, if your party is good, you'll be casting Zalure, then using Mechs to demon that monster your teammates aren't targeting.  Frankly, I'm thinking of banking the Banana Cannon all together.  I rarely use it.

Glide Divine
Samba Fiesta
Lindcray
Banana Cannon *for when you're the carry
Tyrell's Gift Parasol
Sonic Team Armour (Kroes or Wedding Dress if you don't have this)
Cure/Confuse *This tends to be my favorite cure unit, I find it's the most common status effect.  But Cure/Paralysis would also be good here.
Smartlink
Centurion/Battle
v801 *for when you're the support
v502 *for when you're the carry
Guardian Angel Costume
Agent K Costume *For when you're team is using Dark Flow

Edited by Lemon
Put Samba Maracas instead of Samba Fiesta
  • Like 2

Thanks for the advice!

I'm still not yet lvl 100, so I have a ways to go for a lot of those items.  I'm still looking for techs lvl 15+.

Is the lindcray a Valentines event only item?  And how do I obtain the Samba Maracas/Fiesta?

56 minutes ago, buu11235 said:

Is the lindcray a Valentines event only item?  

Yes

57 minutes ago, buu11235 said:

And how do I obtain the Samba Maracas/Fiesta?

Samba Maracas is a reward for completing the quest Raid on Central Tower in ultimate mode.  It's a random item from a short list, or a pd.  weapons come with 0-80% in 1 attribute.

It's turned into a Samba Fiesta with a Harmonic Resonance Core, which is a Easter Event drop.  You can replace it with Slicer of Fanatic or TypeME/Mechguns [Demons] until you work your way up to it.

I'd recommend starting with a Glide Divine and ask around if someone will give you level 30 shifta / deband / jellen / zalure.  (NEVER PAY FOR THESE).  Then use Glide to tag the whole room of enemies and wait for your team to kill them.  Unfortunately, battlemage fo is kinda expensive to build since many of the items used are event drops, and hit is very important.

6 hours ago, Lemon said:

weapons come with 0-80% in 1 attribute.

85% ^^

• Thanks 1

I'd say Rambling May is better than Lindcray for fomarl tbh (especially after it got its grind boost way back). Fomarl has awful slow rifle animation, but crazy fast shot animation (and a unique good slicer animation too). On other classes lindcray is better, but for fomarl specifically it's flipped. While Lindcray looks more flashy on higher numbers, it's so painfully slow on fomarl, can't even SN a blank one without having extreme distance because of her poor animation speed with rifles. Sacred bow might be something to have as a rifle but more so for the grants boost to stack with her innate boost (fomarl grants is highest of all), I'd still rather use reaper or kiss of death or even s. gun hell over it for actual hell special even just for better animations.

Kroe's sweater is definitely top tier female armor, but Sweetheart is a great choice too for atp boost instead of ata boost and elemental resist instead of dark resist. Besides the Agent K Costume (rico's glasses + halo rappy soul), Safety Heart is also a great shield to go for as it's lower level than red ring, better ice resist, and gives a massive ata boost to rambling may (+20ata to all wep like rr, but extra +30ata to may for +50 total) making it easy even to use the blank one you can get from doing white day + st valentine quest reward. Ultima Reaper, Sil Dragon Slayer, and Master Sword are great aoe melee weapons to use on fomarl, as is slicer of vengeance or even braveman + thirteen, banana cannon is good too in the right situations when things are especially grouped up but is weaker than those usually. Blood Tornado (bloody art + blue-black stone) could be an option to consider over Vivienne, as fomarl has a bit slower doublesaber animation than most (though her tech cast animation with it is good), since that is a dagger animation instead and a demon special (I don't quite remember how dagger tech cast animation stacks up offhand), or you can go instead for Tyrfing which is even stronger as well as better tp steal than vivi does, and has the great female Twin Sword attack animation (and also a great tech cast animation with twin sword on fomarl, it's significantly faster than most, almost as fast as fcr female wand).

If you want to play to her strengths, then you should avoid Rifles and Doublesabers as they are quite slow (most other animations are at least tolerable/manageable, e.g. sword/hg are slower than most but still decently usable) , and lean on other things like her unique slicer animation with Fanatic / Kiss of Death / Slicer of Vengeance / etc., twin sword animation of Tyrfing, and her shot speed and the innate special properties of Rambling May. Honestly though, Rambling May is so good on fomarl specifically that it's almost the only weapon you'll ever need on her, handgun-range double-firing non-bullet projectiles from a high atp gun that fires that crazy fast on fomarl is very abusable.

There's a lot of very fun things to use on fomarl overall, despite some of her animations being poorer than other classes she has a very wide selection of interesting items to try out. I advise trying out a lot of different things as you climb your way up and see what kinds of things you enjoy using. You can try out some easy items like Wok of Akiko's Shop or S-Berrils hands to see if you like dagger animation, or G-Assassin arm's to test out Twin Sword animations on her, or inferno bazooka (lul) for shot animation (though honestly, the quest reward rambling may isn't too hard to get just need another char that is male yourself or another helpful player). Regardless of how you choose to play her, I hope you find something to enjoy out there.

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for the advice!  I'll definitely keep an eye out for all of the equipment mentioned and see what i like to use.

On 2/18/2019 at 5:11 PM, Fyrewolf5 said:

can't even SN a blank one without having extreme distance because of her poor animation speed with rifles

If I understand what you're talking about, SN is Special attack followed by a normal attack?  Is that the same as SN trick with slicers?  And "blank" is a 0/0/0/0/0 weapon?

On 2/17/2019 at 10:48 PM, Lemon said:

Samba Maracas is a reward for completing the quest Raid on Central Tower in ultimate mode.  It's a random item from a short list, or a pd.  weapons come with 0-80% in 1 attribute.

Thats a challenging quest.  Better invest in a anti-dark ring.

19 hours ago, buu11235 said:

Thank you all for the advice!  I'll definitely keep an eye out for all of the equipment mentioned and see what i like to use.

If I understand what you're talking about, SN is Special attack followed by a normal attack?  Is that the same as SN trick with slicers?  And "blank" is a 0/0/0/0/0 weapon?

Thats a challenging quest.  Better invest in a anti-dark ring.

Yes, that's correct. While lindcray makes use of the spirit special to do more damage, rambling may only needs the ata to hit hard attacks, which it can easily do even blank, especially with a safety heart, so it's just overall a lot better fit for fomarl's stats / animations.

Also, for ROCT the resist you really need is fire. Dark attacks are dodgeable / preventable (just stun the lilys and don't walk up to ill gills), but it can be more tricky to avoid epsilon rafoie without moving it to bad positions, you generally want 40-45efr so that a force only needs 1 resta to heal up after. Sweetheart + Safety Heart can be good for tower, as can Kroe's Sweater + Agent K costume. Anti-dark ring has no fire resist, so you will get ohko by epsilons if you don't take extra precautions.