Starting up a FO?

Hey all,

Anyone have a few tips for starting up a FO? I've been playing since DC V2 and I remember it being a massive pain in the neck to get a FO started. Has it gotten any easier? And outside of piling up mind mats on other characters/trying to get a mind mag, anything else I should be keeping an eye out to start one? I just picked the game back up after putting it down for a few months, so I have another character or two, but missing the magic lifestyle.

Thanks!

Well compared to DC V2 it's much easier. Obviously here we've got the boosted exp that makes getting through those lower weak levels a bit quicker. Quests like Path to Salvation allow you to zalure an entire room and get exp very fast while not having to kill bosses. I know that it seems that magic is tempting, but do not forget to collect the good force weapons like Bringers Rifle, Excalibur, and other simple things. Good luck.

There are a number of things that do make it easier, but forces still have a pretty slow start overall. Meseta is easy to come by for fluids, so that's not really an issue. Elenor(ashura) and Mark3 mag cells are usually around for really cheap too, and those can be used to make easy 195 mind mags.
Tagging enemies with debuffs (Jellen/Zalure) does give you exp when enemy dies, so you can contribute to a team quite well with just buffs/debuffs/heals without losing out on exp. Glide Divine increases debuff range, but it takes 900mst to wield so it takes some levels before you get that high (though with a 195 mind mag and a set of h/mind or c/mind, you'll get there soon enough, as early as lvl 9-61 depending on which force and cent/heavenly difference even without mind mats), it is huntable in from vhard sand rappy on several id, which is a pretty easy hunt (max attack 4 route a, b, or c; scare 12 rappies and restart). For really high monster counts, you would use Gifoie or Rabarta to hit more of them, as most spells have a target limit of 10 (however, don't spam rabarta in a team game, as spamming spells will cause issues for your teammates, especially so with that one though; one tag is enough to get exp).
When you do get to higher level and are able to get ata/atp up, then contributing with Demon's weapons like Bringer's Rifle and Slicer of Fanatic can be very very helpful to a team, allows you to do a lot with what little you have as a force still leveling (demon's don't care about atp and just does -75% current hp damage, so getting just enough atp to use SoF and SN combos to gaurantee hits will work even at low ata, or focusing entirely on ata for bringers rifle w/ smartlink). Note that when you do get to high levels as a force, gameplay is more Red Mage focus than Black Mage, as the latter just isn't really viable except in niche circumstances with a lot of tech boosting gear (mostly ep4, and some early ep1 runs,) and mostly solo runs at that, since it's generally detrimental to teamplay in team games. PSO is a bit biased against magic for actual raw damage, it's more for utility use in teams, and wide but weak aoe coverage in solo.

Sweet that gives me a good start. I think I have the mag cell for Elenor and I can raise that while on other characters. Between that and hunting for the mats/techs that should be the start I need! Hunting for a glide shouldn't be too rough either. This will be my first non cast character on the sever since I kept reading that casts were broken beyond belief. Hoping the mag feeding but doesn't take too long and I can get a good jump start to ult and then work on support 

Hi, welcome back to the server! It seems like you're Set on dealing high tech damage, so let's start with that. If you need anything please feel free to message me. I have extra items.
As mentioned above, you can come across decent melee gear that are equippable by forces, but that requires time because forces need hit on their melee weapons to be effective.
As for tech dealing damage, it's possible to find an event item that's worth 10 Donation Tickets, and flip it in-game for technique boosting gear such as:

Useful FO Shields:
Hylian Shield*
Franks Bunny Costume*
Anti-Dark Ring*

Useful FO Armors:
Mothergarb+* (this stacks TP reduction on top of Adept unit)
Samurai Armor*

Useful FO Area of Effect Technique Boosting Weapons:
Quasar Staff*
Psycho Wand*
Prophets of Motav*
Dark Bridge*
Psycho Bridge*
Sorcerer's Cane*
Fire Scepter: Agni*
Ice Staff: Dagon*
Storm Wand: Indra*

Useful FO Boss Damaging Weapons:
Summit Moon*
Glide Divine v.00*
Twinkle Star*
Magical Piece*
Mercurius*
Club of Laconium*
Mace of Adaman*
Club of Zumiuran*
The Sigh of God*
Hildebear's Cane*
Hildeblue's Cane*

Useful Resta Range Boosting Weapons:
Solferino*
Marina's Bag*
Madam's Parasol*

Useful Shifta/Deband Range Boosting Weapons:
Striker of Chao*
Madam's Umbrella*
Principal's Gift Parasol*

Useful Jellen/Zalure Range Boosting Weapons:
Clio*
Glide Divine*

Useful FO Units:
V801*
V502*
Heart Container*
Centurion/Technique*
Adept/Limiter*
Cure/Freeze*
Trap Search*
Smartlink*

Useful Melee/Range FO Weapons:
Vivienne*
Tyrfing*
Hundred Souls*
Excalibur*
50Hit Charge Mechgun*
Great Fairy Sword*
Ultima Reaper*
Sacred Bow*
Rambling May*
Sil Dragon Slayer*
Master Sword*
Samba's Fiesta*
Rage de Glace*
TypeME/MECHGUN*
Lindcray*
Banana Cannon*
Inferno Girasole*
Asteron Striker*
Suppressed Gun*
Hand of Justice*
Blood Tornado*
Slicer of Fanatic*
Bringer's Rifle*

Peep this link for more information on which weapons boost what:
http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=472

Also, feel free to try Terror's Ultima Pso. Have fun, and keep it respectable. May the manliness be with you.

Edited by Emewn
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1

Meseta, lots and lots of meseta, for fluids as you will be drinking them like water.  Thankfully the GMs open up a Meseta room every occasionally, so keep an eye open for one.

Oh, a Pinkal ID is the best ID it seems for certain FO gear and most importantly, finding tech disks.

Depending on what kind of FO you choose, either human or newman will greatly dictate your gear needs, as the humans can be capable battle mages (melee & techs) while the newman are best as support/rafoie nukers.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Edited by Trigunman

2 hours ago, Trigunman said:

Meseta, lots and lots of meseta, for fluids as you will be drinking them like water.  Thankfully the GMs open up a Meseta room every occasionally, so keep an eye open for one.

Oh, a Pinkal ID is the best ID it seems for certain FO gear and most importantly, finding tech disks.

Depending on what kind of FO you choose, either human or newman will greatly dictate your gear needs, as the humans can be capable battle mages (melee & techs) while the newman are best as support/rafoie nukers.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Pinkal does not find tech disks better than other ids, not since dreamcast v1. While pinkal does get some of the most basic fo weapons (the elemental wands and clubs), it's pretty garbage at getting anything decent (except when I put event drops in easier locations on it that is), so it's generally passed over in favor of other ids.

I was thinking of trying to focus on support gear to be more useful in parties off the bat and the drops will come that way. I know how thankful I am whenever we have a decent force in a party and would be slick to return the favor.

Off the bat I'm leaning toward FOmarl since I haven't done one before, also since they are supposed to be solid support classes. I'll probably set my mag timer and start feeding an Elenor right away so I'm not completed gutted in the magic department as I'm working on my HUcast. Should also drop enough mats and disks to get things started, and try to hunt for a merge or two, and a glide divine along the way. Most of the good nuking stuff looks like event items too, so I can try to hunt for that on the HUcast that just hit ultimate. 

Nuking is fun in solo for sure, but may be cool to do the whole utility mage. Haven't done it and need to try it. 

Thanks again for all the help and feedback! And @Emewn your post was an absolute goldmine of info. Definitely will be referring back to it.