Progression flow on Ultima

So I'm from a more vanilla server if you catch my drift and i'm really interested in the boosted exp. How does the game progression feel in comparison to vanilla PSO? Is there any point where mobs feel like sponges or is it simply accelerated PSO with better exp and drop rates?

Hi fren! I wondered this whenever I first started as well. The conclusion that I came to is most similar to the latter part of your question. My impression after six months or so is that it's just better EXP and droprates. I think because of the amount of content that has been added on this server, there will always be something difficult but fun to do. Even at max level with good gear, there are some encounters that are still a challenge (in a fun way). Some of the earlier content can feel kinda faceroll after a while but you can always just up the difficulty at that point.

The way I look at it is the path to getting to the "end-game" might be accelerated but even once you get there and have been for a while there's still tons to do. Which is great for me because that's the kind of stuff I like. At least that's been my experience. Hope this helps and welcome! 

Edited by Dutch Ride
  • Like 2

imo, the original game had an extremely high grind factor, far more than other games in the same genre. If you played vanilla offline on gamecube/xbox, then you could spend multiple hundreds of hours and still not be in ultimate. The drop rates here are pretty similar to gc/xbox for the most part (dreamcast rates were insane, with items in the 1/millions), aside from happy hours and individual rate bonuses making things slightly better than gc/xbox, but the boosted exp really helps you get up to a level where you can get to hunting stuff faster, so the progression feels a lot smoother with actually making gains rather than just a slog to do anything at all. You still have to do work to get your drops, and work to get maxed out on a character, but its not painfully slow. If there is a point where mobs 'feel like sponges' it's probably when you first make the jump to ultimate difficulty; original dc v1 only went to level 100 and no ultimate mode, so when they added in ultimate it's made to scale all the way from 80-200, and thus enemies generally double their hp/stats from what they were in vhard and can be a bit difficult when you first enter it (we've also raised the min level for ultimate in each ep by 10, to 90/100/110 for ep 1/2/4 though, so it's not quite as big a jump as vanilla). With a little bit of effort and maybe some help though you can jump over that gap pretty quickly, leveling up from 90-120 doesn't take all that long when being powerleveled by other players, especially when we run x5 exp events (default exp is x3 up to level 160, then x2 after. The bosses in ep2 have boosted exp as well). We technically also run the exp tables from dreamcast instead of gc/xbox, so the curve and max is a little different, with the midway at lvl172 and 96M maxEXP instead of midway at lvl182 and 83M maxEXP, so it's not exactly that multiplier amount faster. At around 150 you can start setting yourself up to be at top tier effectiveness for the most part depending on gear, but you still got a good bit of level progression to achieve too. Overall it the progression is smoother and accelerated to get to the point where you are potentially 'strong'.