What am I doing wrong?

Nathan Poiry

Yeah, so I recently got back into playing Ultima (of what looks like about 4 years since my last post on here). Keep in mind I like playing solo/by myself cuz for some reason I'm nervous around other people or I just like being by myself, I made a RaCast a couple days ago, somehow managed to take down Dark Fallz (on normal tho..) and I'm currently level 35 ish. Right now I'm attempting Forest on Hard and it's really difficult for me, and the "best" weapon I have atm seems to be a lockgun +3, and as for armor I have the grand (lvl 33 set?) And a lvl 32 mag...I barely use traps, if at all, cuz I don't have them equipped. Anyways, should I be playing on some other level or difficulty or Normal mode or One-Person mode? And what online (Ultima) or offline quests should I play? Sorry for being all over the place, it just seems like I'm permanently stuck in Normal difficulty and it just gets so irritating that I can't get better..

Edited by Nathan Poiry

I know I'm replying to my own post, but, it's funny how my first rare drop (other than some Bug Catching net from dark Fallz) was a Twin Psychoguns, which my RaCast was unable to equip...so, I created my redria RaMarl, she's only lvl 7 right now but, she'll get better, hopefully..

If you're having trouble with your RAcast, I highly advise setting your traps to hotkeys. They will be of a big help to you from Normal to Ultimate. You can continue to level up spamming Towards the Future runs (the usual thing players do) until you feel you're ready to tackle the next difficulty. You may want to see if you can buy a level 200 mag from another player here with the appropriate stats for your character, that will help you equip stronger weapons at an earlier level, then you can deal more damage and stay alive longer.

34 minutes ago, Grimoire Greys said:

If you're having trouble with your RAcast, I highly advise setting your traps to hotkeys.

I strongly recommend this. If you're using the 1-0 hotkeys, you should have room to set every possible move to a key without even needing to use the ctrl menu (as an android).

If you're playing with Play Mode "Normal" (ie multiplayer) then all of the enemies you face are going to be scaled up because it's designed for multiple players. Selecting Play Mode "One Person" will be just like the offline version of the console games, and its difficulty will be scaled to one player (I BELIEVE - someone please confirm!).

You can play solo if you want, but if you play with others, many people on the server are happy to give away better equipment to help you get started. I was a long time solo player before playing online, and now I can't imagine playing any other way.

6 minutes ago, Diricos said:

If you're playing with Play Mode "Normal" (ie multiplayer) then all of the enemies you face are going to be scaled up because it's designed for multiple players. Selecting Play Mode "One Person" will be just like the offline version of the console games, and its difficulty will be scaled to one player (I BELIEVE - someone please confirm!).

As far as I know, the only monsters scaled differently in solo vs multiplayer are ultimate final bosses, which are scaled up in solo to promote team hunts.  When you select Solo mode however, it will spawn less monsters per room.  That is where it's scaled for solo play.

8 minutes ago, Diricos said:

You can play solo if you want, but if you play with others, many people on the server are happy to give away better equipment to help you get started. I was a long time solo player before playing online, and now I can't imagine playing any other way.

This is a huge deal.  A large portion of items that are amazing at the stage you are at aren't even worth the bank space later in the game.  A lot of players will see you taking their 'hand me downs' as a service to them rather than to you.  Beware scalpers though, I've seen people charge for dumb stuff like resta lvl 30, which isn't worth anything.

2 hours ago, Nathan Poiry said:

... And a lvl 32 mag...

Get this higher.  Your mag is free stats.  If you have materials, use them.  You can always reset them later on once you get to the stage of the game where maxing stats matters.  If you need meseta to do so, just ask around.  Many people will give it for free, and GMs sometimes run events where they give out full stacks for free.

2 hours ago, Nathan Poiry said:

I barely use traps, if at all, cuz I don't have them equipped.

Freeze traps are one of the strongest weapons in the game.  I'd defiantly recommend binding these to the back palette or to 0-9 keys.  Learning how to trap shoot (shoot a trap as you place it) is an extremely useful skill to have on cast.  If you don't know how, I can log and show you.  But use your traps, they are very very useful.

just another quick thing is ramarl is a great solo class while racast is probably going to have a rough time until you really get some gear due to the lack of shifta and deband. ramarl can use lvl 20 techs so finding those support technique upgrades will help  A LOT

• Like 1

Yeah, so, after just trying some of the said quests, Wrath of Forest was pretty neat and wasn't too bad, was on normal diff tho, might be able to do it on Hard, and I made the unfortunate mistake of trying Towards the Future, solo, at level 38 ish. I had a shot type weapon so it was kinda fun with that, made it thru Forest and caves pretty easily, and then I hit mines..that room with the 20ish Garanz...took me ages to clear somehow, oh my god..and at the next wave of all those robots just shooting you with  lasers were annoying, but, somehow got thru all that and took down vol-opt with my lockgun, all the same my controller I was using kept disconnecting randomly, I just had a rage fest..lol. so I wandered into the ruins, walked in the next room, and got swarmed with those claw guys, and said..nope, guess I'm done, and just ended the mission there..lol..it was good exp though

Edited by Nathan Poiry

5 hours ago, Nathan Poiry said:

Yeah, so, after just trying some of the said quests, Wrath of Forest was pretty neat and wasn't too bad, was on normal diff tho, might be able to do it on Hard, and I made the unfortunate mistake of trying Towards the Future, solo, at level 38 ish. I had a shot type weapon so it was kinda fun with that, made it thru Forest and caves pretty easily, and then I hit mines..that room with the 20ish Garanz...took me ages to clear somehow, oh my god..and at the next wave of all those robots just shooting you with  lasers were annoying, but, somehow got thru all that and took down vol-opt with my lockgun, all the same my controller I was using kept disconnecting randomly, I just had a rage fest..lol. so I wandered into the ruins, walked in the next room, and got swarmed with those claw guys, and said..nope, guess I'm done, and just ended the mission there..lol..it was good exp though

There is an easier version under VR that has less monsters.