Help with combat

synthetichug

I've been playing this game on and off for a while now, I am a little above 100 on my HUcaseal. But I am awful, I often end up eating mates like candy. I want to fight in melee range without having to constantly switch to different weapons. Is there someone out there who can help me get better at melee combat so I am not eating so many hits?

just get good, thats it. It takes time and patience with this game. Join rooms and CCA/TTF grind...get strong and at the same time practice. It's i assume your first charactor so don't worry about it being tough, it is for most. Once she gets stronger, and your skill better, you will start getting some good drops for gear, and your second charactor will be a beast then. 

I haven't been on in like 2 months now myself, been getting a itch to get back on, i could either hop on my ramarl or fo and power level you, giving you pointers, or hop on my 100 hucast and level up with you tonight, lmk.

Thanks for the quick response! I would appreciate having someone to level with, unfortunately I am working right now so I cannot hop on. If youre still up for it I should be on late sunday.

I am more so looking for advice on handling mechanics, for example Ive been told never to use a third attack because you wont get out fast enough after. I just do not want to do the constant switching to ranged attacks, and not have to rely on specific weapons to play. Which is often how I see hunters played. I don't think I have problems with bosses, its more so the groups of enemies.

Use your freeze traps & confuse traps. They often get overlooked due to having a tiny blast radius in normal - veryhard difficulty. However in ultimate they have a much larger blast radius. 

1 hour ago, synthetichug said:

Thanks for the quick response! I would appreciate having someone to level with, unfortunately I am working right now so I cannot hop on. If youre still up for it I should be on late sunday.

I am more so looking for advice on handling mechanics, for example Ive been told never to use a third attack because you wont get out fast enough after. I just do not want to do the constant switching to ranged attacks, and not have to rely on specific weapons to play. Which is often how I see hunters played. I don't think I have problems with bosses, its more so the groups of enemies.

Well there's a number of mechanics that can make things easier. For one, enemy attack hitboxes are actually miniscule. Even a centimeter of movement can dodge an attack if timed correctly, so being able to bait enemy attacks is a good skill to practice. They have a lot longer recovery after an attack, allowing you to easily flank them and reposition. As for combos, yes 3rd attack does have larger recovery time than the 2nd, however, you can also do things like combo delay (i.e. not attacking as fast as possible); this allows you to keep monsters flinching, so that you can do full combos on them. You have a fair bit of time with which to delay attacks, so practice different timings. Another important thing is to either have a setup that has no targeting attacks on back palette (and none on number keys, just on front pallete only), which is very easy to do on cast. This allows you to hold the back palette key and drop all targeting easily for good movement; the alternative would be to open a menu (quickmenu or full menu, either one). This will prevent you from slowing to a walk, which happens when you are near something that you are targeting.
For Hucaseal, daggers, twin swords, and katanas generally have very fluid animations that chain well even without delay. Doublesabers have a bit of recovery at the end, making them more difficult. Partisans also have more forward reach and less horizontal than swords do, as well as better recovery.
I can maybe show you some of these techniques in game if you are around.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, rashan0121 said:

Use your freeze traps & confuse traps. They often get overlooked due to having a tiny blast radius in normal - veryhard difficulty. However in ultimate they have a much larger blast radius. 

Thank you, I did not know the blast radius of traps changed between difficulties.

23 minutes ago, Fyrewolf5 said:

Well there's a number of mechanics that can make things easier. For one, enemy attack hitboxes are actually miniscule. Even a centimeter of movement can dodge an attack if timed correctly, so being able to bait enemy attacks is a good skill to practice. They have a lot longer recovery after an attack, allowing you to easily flank them and reposition. As for combos, yes 3rd attack does have larger recovery time than the 2nd, however, you can also do things like combo delay (i.e. not attacking as fast as possible); this allows you to keep monsters flinching, so that you can do full combos on them. You have a fair bit of time with which to delay attacks, so practice different timings. Another important thing is to either have a setup that has no targeting attacks on back palette (and none on number keys, just on front pallete only), which is very easy to do on cast. This allows you to hold the back palette key and drop all targeting easily for good movement; the alternative would be to open a menu (quickmenu or full menu, either one). This will prevent you from slowing to a walk, which happens when you are near something that you are targeting.
For Hucaseal, daggers, twin swords, and katanas generally have very fluid animations that chain well even without delay. Doublesabers have a bit of recovery at the end, making them more difficult. Partisans also have more forward reach and less horizontal than swords do, as well as better recovery.
I can maybe show you some of these techniques in game if you are around.

Wow, thank you, I did not know you could drop targeting by switching palettes. I  will also have to look into partisans, it sounds like it may be a better bet than a sword at the moment. Do you have any recommendations for daggers?

1 hour ago, synthetichug said:

Thank you, I did not know the blast radius of traps changed between difficulties.

Wow, thank you, I did not know you could drop targeting by switching palettes. I  will also have to look into partisans, it sounds like it may be a better bet than a sword at the moment. Do you have any recommendations for daggers?

It only works if you don't have something that can target enemies on the back pallete or 0-9 buttons, which is very easy for cast (since it's just normal/heavy/regular attack). If a non-cast did it with a technique on 0-9, that tech could still target enemies and cause a slow-walk, so using a menu is the other option. It's just nicer to use back pallete since you can use the camera button during it.

For daggers, the top tier ones are Fury of the Beast (event, charge), Blood Tornado (upgrade from bloody art with blue-black stone), Daylight Scar (Berserk, 1/214 boota all id ult), and Flapjack Flapper (Gush, merissa AA drop on oran 1/4 iirc). There is also Two Kamui, but those don't come with any stats from claire's deal. They do work very well if added to though, and are pretty unique. A simple dls or flappers are pretty easy to get and many people may have spares laying around. A much stronger option would be to go for the twin sword Jizai though. It's made from Guren (1/4 eclair viridia/whitill), and Shouren (bpd2), and is one of the strongest weapons in the game at nearly 900 atp (most strong daggers are around 500-700). Female twin sword animation is extremely good, and a decent jizai isn't that difficult to get, they run maybe 5-10 pds depending on how much stats/hit they have.

• Like 1