Hello, everyone. Nice to meet you all. Also, first impressions about PSO.

LuxerWaffle

Well. Never thought of being here, but I manage to try out PSO for the very first time.

Greeting, everyone. The name is, Luxer. Recently new to the Phantasy Star franchise. I have never paid much attention to the series till this year with the whole PSO2 craze on the Nintendo Switch, and how we haven't had the game localized since 2012. There were so much discussion about PSO, that I decided to look in and see what's all the fuss and hype was about. I have watched a few videos of what the games are and how they look. It's an RPG and I like RPGs so I got a little more interested. The fact that it's online kept me even more interested and how the community is still going strong after years of PSO1's release, got my eyes on the franchise so much, that I gave in and decided to try it out and see if I like it or if it's not my cup of tea.

Oh boy, trying to find ways of play PSO was a chore. First was the Dreamcast version. And then the GameCube version, both requires broadband internet connections, which I don't even own. I have been trying to find any work arounds to connect to Wi-Fi, but there were none. I didn't know what else to do I was about to give up while I was still searching for not outdated tutorials. Luckily for me, I stumbled upon a recent post about getting the game on PC and it lead me to Blue Burst. And that's when I joined here and started playing the game.

So, my thoughts on the game. It's really great! I like adventuring with others who I have not have met ever before in my life, and then quickly become friends with them. The team were super nice and aid me through quests that I really shouldn't be dealing with. Level progression is pretty great. I got up to 15 really quickly, even though I had most help from other players, but it was still cool. Still quite amazed that this game was made by Sonic Team. I thought they only make Sonic games. Haha. But anyway, it's a great first experience. I am happy to have played it, and I will come back and play more. I know MMOs have a ton of replay value. The only thing I am not a fan of are the Keyboard controls; looking at the controls on keyboard hurts my brain... I tried to connect my Xbox One controller in and the game didn't pick up the controller. I am gonna try to find a fix for that.

Again, hello everyone! Glad to be here! :D

• Like 6

1 hour ago, LuxerWaffle said:

I tried to connect my Xbox One controller in and the game didn't pick up the controller. I am gonna try to find a fix for that.

Again, hello everyone! Glad to be here! :D

Oh about this controller you just have to plug it before you launch the game and it should work!

Welcome to Ultima!

Hail and well met!

There is a keyboard layout diagram btw, the controls are not that terribly difficult IMHO and you have far more control with hotkeys for techs, items, IMHO. (plus the mini-menu CTRL+END is a must for fast weapon switching)

keyboard-layout.jpg&key=2e834c04646c6acc

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lipelis said:

Oh about this controller you just have to plug it before you launch the game and it should work!

Welcome to Ultima!

I have tried that many times before with other games. It just doesn't want to read my controller. But thanks!

52 minutes ago, killswitch said:

buy microsoft xbox 360 wireless controller and dongle...it work the best  https://www.microsoft.com/accessories/en-us/products/gaming/xbox-360-wireless-controller-for-windows/jr9-00011  

Yeah, I have been reading thst the game takes the 360 controller very well. Sure, I will look into it. May go with wired though. Thank you.

47 minutes ago, Trigunman said:

Hail and well met!

There is a keyboard layout diagram btw, the controls are not that terribly difficult IMHO and you have far more control with hotkeys for techs, items, IMHO. (plus the mini-menu CTRL+END is a must for fast weapon switching)

keyboard-layout.jpg&key=2e834c04646c6acc

Thanks, but I can get use to the keyboard controls. At firsr glance, I was confused, but I kinda understood how it works. Unfortunately, that's not ssying much since I am very slow at typing. I had to keep looking at thr keyboard to make sure my fingers are on the right key.

I personally like to use wired controllers for my PC needs. Tends to work very seamlessly in those cases. I've had bad luck trying to get wireless controllers to work, not to mention batteries running out at the worst times... I don't mind a little wire-clutter consequently. I'd go for an afterglow XBox 360 controller. Those things are much cheaper than the official brand, and pretty damn sturdy. I can't tell you how many times I dropped mine on the floor and its going strong!

And welcome to Ultima!

Edited by Colt

Ah welcome. Im not one of the newest people around finally i think lol.

Also. As a fellow xbone controller user. You gotta have it plugged in and ready before starting the game. I had the same issue when i started lol. XD Also glad ya enjoy the game. Years after its original release and people are still finding their way to this amazing game and experiencing it for themselves. Thats just something neat about this game i find. Not a lot of games manage to exist after their "Death" quite like PSO does. Says something about its quality i would say.

Im sure if you keep playing you'll become as addicted as a good bit of us are lol. XD Im so addicted i literally play 4 different versions of this game. Ultima is my main one, Then Ephinea as a side server, The gamecube version. And finally i even have my own personal blue burst server i use to play offline by myself lol. I dont have a problem i promise. I DONT.

So yeah, Once again welcome. And i hope you enjoy your time with the game continuing forward like so many of us still do.

Edited by CrabCake

Welcome!

The game is pretty easy to learn, but difficult to master. Even after ~15 years playing (off and on) I'm still learning new tricks. As I'm sure you know, if you ever have any questions, the community is always happy to help. Shoot me a message if you ever need anything!

And don't fall for the ALT+Backspace trick ;)