Why is hard so hard

So uh apparently trying to independently clear hard w/o handouts and stuff is a chore with basic gear. Why is this a balance change without an option to take it off? I've always enjoyed progressing by myself. The new difficulty changes are incredibly spongey. Any ideas to help besides getting carried with items and help?

10 minutes ago, click2winipod said:

So uh apparently trying to independently clear hard w/o handouts and stuff is a chore with basic gear. Why is this a balance change without an option to take it off? I've always enjoyed progressing by myself. The new difficulty changes are incredibly spongey. Any ideas to help besides getting carried with items and help?

Well... tbh the balance changes are not kind to the things you'd like to do. Your best bet is to at least take some meseta from someone as it is literally something provided free by the GMs(something I think should stop) so you're only making your life harder there. Use the meseta to feed a mag and that'll help you tons.

> Makes game harder for the challenge.

> Complains about game being too hard.

:onion-head57:

Edited by Lemon
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Lemon said:

> Makes game harder for the challenge.

> Complains about game being too hard.

:onion-head57:

But it's not a fun kind of hard. A hard game would be fair but punishing, this is punishing and spongey. Literally the only work around is by not playing the game to achieve rares and taking items. That's avoiding the game for it being too "challenging"

Edited by click2winipod

How is the game unfair? Ā You only take damage when you're hit by an attack. Ā So don't get hit. Ā Monsters don't heal as long as you're on the map, so keep hitting them. Ā If you don't do damage, get better stats by raising your mag.

Mags can litterally give you 100's of points in free stats. Ā Don't have money to feed your mag? Spend some time box farming. Ā 

There a multiple ways to just get better at the game. Ā This early stage is to learn them. Ā Learn how to combo attack. Ā Learn monster AI and attack patterns. Figure out elemental weaknesses. Learn to dodge.Ā 

This is an rpg, it will be grindy. Ā That's kind ofĀ the point. Ā Don't scoff at people who offer to cut down on the boring parts of that grind and then complain about it not being fun.Ā  It makes you sound like a child.

Edited by Lemon
  • Like 6

I could have sworn the game is only buffed in Ultimate lmao. Dude believe it or not but Hard has always been for the lack of a better term... HARD lol. It's just that players get here and get carried or get handouts that they shouldnt have in lower levels making the game look easier than it actually is. I know you only need to be level 20 to play Hard but even playing it at lvl 40-50 which is the minimum for the next level is way to low to be playing hard especially alone. The good thing about playing online is that you can play with others, i am sure there are other players who wouldnt mind playing it vanilla with you, if offered the chance.

2 minutes ago, Lone Ranger said:

I could have sworn the game is only buffed in Ultimate lmao. Dude believe it or not but Hard has always been for the lack of a better term... HARD lol. It's just that players get here and get carried or get handouts that they shouldnt have in lower levels making the game look easier than it actually is. I know you only need to be level 20 to play Hard but even playing it at lvl 40-50 which is the minimum for the next level is way to low to be playing hard especially alone. The good thing about playing online is that you can play with others, i am sure there are other players who wouldnt mind playing it vanilla with you, if offered the chance.

But even on the gamecube and dreamcast version-(to some extent, monsters were harder in the dc version than the gc version) you could probably go to the next difficulty or area without any trouble. Independently. The hard part is getting to the next area, and getting better equipment. With rares, and handouts, it made the process quicker. The gap between normal ruins, and hard forest is gigantic. That's my problem. Even with a level 55~ ranger I was still struggling to kill things quickly. And a level 40~ Human hunter with a photon claw and a 45 pow and 50 dex mag, and normal ish equipment.

6 minutes ago, killswitch said:

noobs still complaining about Utlima...the subject never dies....THE GAMEĀ is free...THE GAMEĀ is challengingly fun....THE GAME makes alot of friends...point Made....i dont get why people complain

Because there isn't any other way to play the game, rather than a "newer" player to slog through it. No other difficulty modes which makes the game easier. My argument is game flow, and how easy it would be to transition. I'm not asking for no grind, I'm asking for an achievable one. I love rpgs. I don't want it to be easy either.

Edited by click2winipod

Ultima is more like gamecube online. The monsters are harder to beat because they are meant to be fought by a group. Solo mode is closer to offline. However, leveling up is dependant on gear. Until you can farm better gear, try to join groups. Hit the enemies with anything, including jellen/zalure. You will gain levels and get better gear to drop.

9 minutes ago, click2winipod said:

But even on the gamecube and dreamcast version-(to some extent, monsters were harder in the dc version than the gc version) you could probably go to the next difficulty or area without any trouble. Independently. The hard part is getting to the next area, and getting better equipment. With rares, and handouts, it made the process quicker. The gap between normal ruins, and hard forest is gigantic. That's my problem. Even with a level 55~ ranger I was still struggling to kill things quickly. And a level 40~ Human hunter with a photon claw and a 45 pow and 50 dex mag, and normal ish equipment.

Well see, thats the issue.Ā  "Struggling to kill things quickly" I dont recall ever being able to kill things quickly on Hard during my GC days, even in level 70. This is a simple hack and slash game, but at no point is it that easy without end game gear lol. The rares that drop on Hard/Very Hard are crappy as hell and some are even weaker than the highest level regular weapons. Besides Forest all other levels on ep 1 are pretty long and would take over an hour or two to get thru minimum. Even is your Humar(Human Hunter) had a lvl 200 mag it would still be hard. Make sure to feed your mag as often as possible, use any power mats you find and try to play with others if you can. I think it's harder to run thru the game with smaller parties.

The point is unclear to me..Ā :blink:Ā if you feel "hard" is too much for you, then go back to normal, keep grinding your characters and farming your mag. Once you feel ready then go back to hard do the same, jump to very hard and so on. GMs give free meseta, but if you dont like then you can find meseta from monsters and boxes. It will take longer, but it will still take u there.

• Like 1

Why can't people answer the question without feeling the need to mock the guy? The manliness is not with you.

Answer: If you want to experience the offline side of PSO while on this server, then play solo (One Player) mode. You can select that option upon creating a room. (Play Mode).

That being said. PSO never really was considered one of those (easy) games.

With the numerous exclusive weapons and changes this server has seen, the difficulty of the server needed to be boosted to an extent in order to balance the game. Especially considering how old this game is. Nearly everybody here has some form of experience with this game. So it would seem that most folks are in favor of the extra challenges. I doubt it could have been avoided. A GM told me one time that in episode 1 only monster HP has changed.

Either way, welcome to Ultima. Have fun wit it, and may the manliness be with you.

Feel free to let me know if you need help.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

38 minutes ago, Emewn said:

Why can't people answer the question without feeling the need to mock the guy? The manliness is not with you.

Answer: If you want to experience the offline side of PSO while on this server, then play solo (One Player) mode. You can select that option upon creating a room. (Play Mode).

That being said. PSO never really was considered one of those (easy) games.

With the numerous exclusive weapons and changes this server has seen, the difficulty of the server needed to be boosted to an extent in order to balance the game. Especially considering how old this game is. Nearly everybody here has some form of experience with this game. So it would seem that most folks are in favor of the extra challenges. I doubt it could have been avoided. A GM told me one time that in episode 1 only monster HP has changed.

Either way, welcome to Ultima. Have fun wit it, and may the manliness be with you.

Feel free to let me know if you need help.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk
Ā 

Thanks for defending me. When I get attacked for pointing out enemies that are sponges it's never fun. It would be a different story if they had base stats but did 2x as much damage, but they did more than just change one enemy. I'd rather have a voice discussion about this, and if you guys are up for it add me on discord. click2winipod#2761

• Like 1