Question about solo mode and tech damage

Hello! new to the forum, and to the server, relatively.

I'd like to know if solo mode works with the stats from traditional offline mode on Game Cube, I'm under the impression they might be a little bit stronger?

Also, I've heard bad stuff about tech damage in the server. Is starting a Force (with the intention of soloing 50% of the time, that's how I roll) a good idea? from what I recall FOS used to be nice support  online but tech damage was meh, however offline they had really fast clearing times using techs. It will remain that way whenever I play solo mode? Thanks in advance.

hace 10 minutos, mudkipzjm dijo:

Tech damage isn't great when you get to higher difficulties. May want to check into melee gear when you get high enough leveled.

First of all, thanks for the reply mudkipzjm, although, that doesn't answer my issue really. 

The thing is, is tech damage changed from the original game? 

Both in multi and solo mode?

How the solo mode works? it haves boosted stats for monsters or it's like vanilla offline?

Thanks in advance. 

Afaik, tech damage isn't changed, nor enemy resistances. Solo mode is going to be easier of course, but I know certain bosses are unbeatable in ep 2 on Ultimate in solo mode.

It's a complicated answer. Monster resists have not been changed in any difficulty. However, in 1p mode for hard/vhard/ultimate, several monsters do have more hp and other stats than they would in vanilla. In multiplayer, ep1 and ep4 enemies are not boosted (besides bosses and dorphon eclair), only ep2 enemies are. So playing in 1p mode it is not quite the same as it would be on vanilla. However, that's not the full answer still. Monsters in 1p mode still have significantly lower hp than their multiplayer counterparts even with the bonus stats they have (e.g. So Dimenian hp 2500/3125/3750 for gc offline, ultima 1p, and anywhere multplayer). On top of that, here we have many items which significantly boost tech damage far beyond what you might find in vanilla. On gamecube you can get a psycho wand and a rafoie merge to boost rafoie by 30% each. On Ultima, you have access to weapons like Pwand (45%, up from 30%), Pbridge (85%), and Hylian Shield (75%), and Ignition Cloak (30%, was 10% in vanilla blue burst), meaning you can get three times the rafoie boost you could get on vanilla. Overall, techs do far more damage on ultima than they would on vanilla.

However even so, this is not a game that is friendly to spamming magic. There are no black mages in this game, only red mages. It's not just a question of damage, the game has many issues and designs that are inherently biased against using magic for damage. Things like enemies with specific bad ai reactions to being hit by techs (gunners flee, slimes split, etc.), enemies which ignore all tech boosts (sinows, slimes, vol opt, gi gue, etc.), enemies with insanely high resists to all elements (e.g. Chaos Bringer 90/90/90/100/123, etc.), these are features built in to the vanilla game which ultima has not changed (though sega did modify some resists to account a bit for the last one). On top of that are other problems like poor monster reactions for teammates and damage cancel, which make spamming techs in team games have a significant negative impact on your team. Again, these aren't issues with Ultima server, which has greatly buffed techs to be actually borderline OP in the right areas when properly geared out, but rather issues with the vanilla game. PSO itself is just heavily biased against magic.

So it was a really long complicated answer. But yes, you can clear solo mode even quicker than vanilla considering the extra tech boosts we have on gear, despite monsters having more hp than vanilla in solo modes.

Unbeatable EP2 bosses?...That's quite the change considering how they've just melted in the original game.

Thanks for the long and detailed reply Platypus, although, I have some concerns.

Why hp for single player have been boosted? kinda encouraging no solo play at all? the progress worked perfectly on the original game, I don't think this is a good decision at all.

Also, regarding techniques...Yeah, I'm familiar with the original game. Thing is, you could be 100% caster in MOST classic stages. Considering tech range no one cares how much Gunners try to run from you (in solo) the same way no one cares how much Slimes split after a series of Rabartas since they go in one multiple hit of accumulative bugged Gifoies, you're literally the best dealing with those two enemies as a force. Sinow Zelees get Megi'd anyway, classic Sinows don't resist boost. Slimes have the tech boost resist but don't have the health to make use of it, I don't remember Ult Chaos Bringer taking more than 7 Foies maybe? how much of a waste of time is that? considering you clear groups in 4 cast of RA.

The only ones from that list that make a case for the non pure caster argument are Gi and of course Volt op, which is indeed terrible.

About the Tech Boosters, that's cool but it doesn't sound very well imo. One thing is a character progressing naturally and the other thing is depending on pure RNG for getting the build you want. On the original game an unarmed Fonewn will work perfectly, in fact getting faster times than almost anyone else for ep 1 offline, the faster unarmed casting animation was also arguably better than rare finds like Psycho Wand etc (way way better imo) so the character was actually better than geared from the get go or arguably as good as geared, offensively at least, you still want armor. Other charas like Ramar or Fomar really don't need much more than a 50% hit Vulcan to start rolling BRUTALLY. Ultra rare, gimmicky, RNG based gear was only big on Cast Hunters and that's because they've reduced the % damage values from the Dreamcast game and without a way to shifta they need the ATP of weapons like Comet/Red Sword dearly.

So, original PSO/Ep2 was not a game reliant on ultra rare finds and I think that was a very good thing, even better, offline casters were one of the clases that didn't even needed to care about getting a %hit common weapon, and I don't see how changing that could be good.

Anyway my two cents, sorry if it sounds a bit ranty and I'm waiting for clarifications in case of missunderstanding on my part. Cheers!

As a person who usually plays forces over the other classes, you might struggle to kill some of the high res enemies, even on solo mode. It's worth considering a melee setup sometimes. I might be a little biased, though. I'm a huge fan of being a battle mage. As for the unbeatable ep2 bosses... you will NOT defeat gal gryphon on solo play mode. I'm not saying this because gal gryphon will be incredibly tough to beat. But because you will do no damage to it. Hardcore zeroes. I'm not sure what other bosses are unbeatable on solo play mode (ultimate). I found this one out the hard way. I digress, though. In ep 1, you'll do fine with techs. Ep 2 enemies have naturally higher resistance, though. And ep 4... techs still do pretty good damage. You'll notice a huge difference with tech boosts, though! You'll be nuking those rooms in no time, haha!

1 hour ago, eggmith said:

-snip-

Chaos Bringer is weak to ice, not fire (instead of 90/90/90 elementals its 90/30/90 in single). And yea, we do want to encourage people to play together, as that's kind of the point of having an online server. The other thing is that we have events that give unique drops from bosses, we don't necessarily want people to take advantage of the extremely weak stats in 1p mode to farm a drop solo, as that would stifle any interactivity on the server. Vanilla 1p enemies generally have only 60% of the hp/stats of multimode enemies, they are extremely weak comparatively and far quicker to kill with any class. The bosses in question here are Gal Gryphon and Olga Flow specifically, and olga was always extremely difficult with techs regardless (it only applies in ultimate solo btw). There are also other examples of enemies that ignore tech boosts or have high resists or poor ai reactions, I just gave a few examples off the top of my head. Cast kill slimes far better than any force (dt instakill), while many other classes can also deal with gunners faster too with status effects to make them vulnerable and some things that penetrate their invulnerability (such as demons and gush), thus giving advantage again to casts (especially racast/racaseal) which can do some freeze trap>spread needle kills on them. I did main force on gamecube as I do here, but they were still comparatively underpowered, they just felt better to many people rather than actually being better. Despite all this, I have made numerous buffs to force on this server, both to their tech casting abilities and their melee abilities. They clear things incredibly fast with techs when it is possible, it just so happens that it's only really actually 'good' to so in about half of the game, and even then mostly just when you don't have a good team (first half of ep1 and all of ep4). Player classes also have higher max stats on this server as well. Enemy hp in solo mode isn't really high enough to make going barehanded on males worth it imo (iirc on gc it would be 7 vs 8 cast threshold, but idk what it is on blue burst with the addition of v801). Overall, without using anything special you might take a single extra spellcast to kill something on solo mode, but that quickly gets outstripped by other changes with even only basic easy to get things. Tech casting is quite strong on force atm, but it's mostly limited to non-team games because of other inherent issues (like dmc and monster manipulations). It's especially nice when running ep4 as a force to do tech based runs. I really don't think you'll notice too huge of a difference if you intend to play solo mode with spells only and not use anything special that the server has (though like I said, we do have a lot of unique strong tech gear).

I know it's a bit of a wall of text,  but I hope that helped explain a lot of things. I do hope you are enjoying it here so far regardless.

Cast, and only cast, can kill slimes faster but not divide a full group easily and fast with a multidirectional AOE for exp + chances of a red one, then killing the whole group just as easy no matter how spread they are, so, if anything they're better for moving to the next area asap, but worse for farming.

Olga is not "extremely difficult with techs" 340+ damage spamming barta iic withouth missing, large range, and better aiming than guns is ok, it's not the fastest but it's extremely fine. And for the second form...LOL. Try Gizonde, thank me later, don't look at the numbers, just keep using Gizonde. You can try the same againsnt Sil, Gol Draon, and 2nd Faltz btw.

A caster with Razonde will eliminate a group of 6/8 spread gunners withour following around, aiming, or one vs one them, doint it faster with any other class is either impossible/they have to group together willingly, so, not really.

I admit though that I don't remember exactly Ult Bringers resistance or Griphon's (although I do remember doing damage to GG with Grants, Gizonde, and maybe Barta, although, maybe not spectacular) but those alone don't make a good case. Above examples are terrible examples about "why a solo nuking force is underpwoered" as explained. Seaside was Grants bait, while Mountain/Jungle/Seabed was Gizonde bait + Megid bait, Temple + Spaceship are irrelevant in terms of farming exp, and most times, gear. As a nuking Fo you had incomparable times clearing groups on Ep 1 and half of Ep 2, having to stop your momentum only on some midly resistant heavy weights, which I admit can put a Ranger slightly ahead, but only a correctly geared one, while on Forces...it doesn't matter.

I'm not experienced in Ep 4 and for what you say seems a very good adition for Fos, so, I plainly admit that they don't look bad at all in here.

However, about the Ult HP thing (straight punishing solo players) I could't disagree more and the argument doesn't hold well. You seriously think that 3 Racast with a Fo will make it through any level slower than solo? lol. I've played "doubles" with myself with a Game Cube controller out of curiosity, and, even as a solo Ramar that doesn't have the ATP of a Ractast OR Traps, normally a single FO casting S/D/Z was enough not only to compensate but to buff you beyond the stats of multiplayer and make you straight stronger than in solo. 3 Racast with Shots and traps will be literally a fucking joke. Also, most people don't really solo PSO (they're to bussy with duped Spread Needles on groups and not learning the game at all) so, what are your fears? that the whole comminity will solo EZ one player mode and take all the good stuff? not happening because the above reasons. You're just ruining new character creation for people who enjoy solo, and breaking the natural game progress as it was, and as said for no reason, because people will KEEP playing with groups no matter what.