Launcher refuses to >start the game< if vJoy is active.

Issue: Launcher refuses to >start the game< if vJoy is active.

Description:

When I click "Start Game" on the launcher, it opens a black screen and a popup with the following error message:

bbmod: DirectInput8Create

Unicode dinput8 was created, cannot continue

The launcher can "start the game" if Vjoy is disabled.

The launcher can also "start the game" if the file 'dinput8.dll' isn't on the program's folder.

I found two clunky workaround solutions to this problem:

• Either disable Vjoy before "starting the game",  then re-enable it once it's running. (Warning: while using win7, if a "User Account Control" window pops up while the game is running, the game will stop working for some reason).
  • Or remove the file 'dinput8.dll' from the game folder in order to be able to start the game, then return it later. (But I'm not sure if this can cause other issues).
Edited by Limonada
3 hours ago, Limonada said:

I can start the launcher if vJoy is disabled as the launcher starts the game

This part's a little confusing, you say the launcher won't open if vJoy is active in the name of the topic but that you can start it if vJoy is disabled as the launcher starts the game, in which case vJoy would have already been active before opening the launcher. o.o;

7 hours ago, Limonada said:

I can start the launcher if vJoy is disabled as the launcher starts the game or if I remove dinput8.dll from the game folder.

I am using vJoy in order to simulate the xbox 360 start button and get access to the alternate action palette. If you know a better way to simulate it on a keyboard or mouse, I'd appreciate it.

Ive used xpadder was OK but I use anti macro now and find it the best for setting macros. I hated vjoy lol 

Can you actually not start the launcher if vJoy is active?

The message you posted is an issue with the addon framework, the issue is here https://github.com/HybridEidolon/psobbaddonplugin/issues/16, it has not been worked on.

If you are 100% sure that the launcher doesn't actually start, then send me a PM and I'll ask you for some information to see why the launcher is not working.
However, if the launcher actually starts and you can start the game from it but you get the message you posted, then I can't really help you with it.

I apologize, I worded it horribly. At first I wrote "Launcher refuses to launch" but that sounded horribly so I quickly changed it to "open" (open the game) and mixed launcher/game.

On 7/28/2018 at 2:18 AM, Limonada said:

Launcher refuses to open ("start the game"*) if vJoy is active.

I can start the launcher (the launcher can start the game*) if vJoy is disabled as (before*) the launcher starts the game or if I remove dinput8.dll from the game folder.

bbmod: DirectInput8Create

Unicode dinput8 was created, cannot continue

I am using vJoy in order to simulate the xbox 360 start button and get access to the alternate action palette. If you know a better way to simulate it on a keyboard or mouse, I'd appreciate it.

Rewrote the first post to clarify the issue.

13 hours ago, Soly said:

[...] if the launcher actually starts and you can start the game from it but you get the message you posted, then I can't really help you with it.

The launcher starts, but if it's commanded to "Start Game", it just opens a black screen and the error message.

Btw, could you please tell me why does the game crashes (w7) if the "User Account Control" window opens as it is running? Edit: It also happens if I Ctrl+Alt+Delete.

Edited by Limonada

You still have some issues with the description of the issue, as the launcher starts the game correctly.
The problem is the game cannot start with the mix of vJoy and the addons.

The Unicode dinput8 code is missing so that's why the message appears and the game doesn't start.
The game normally doesn't create the Unicode dinput8 but it seems vJoy makes the game use that one, this is why if you either disable the addons or vJoy, it works.
Not much we can do there.

The game has an issue that it won't recover when losing the display device, so when it's fullscreen and another app takes the display (alt + tab) or when UAC kicks in with the desktop dimming enabled, there isn't much we can do about this either.

For UAC to not crash it, you need to disable the desktop dimming settings (the 3rd level of UAC iirc, set it to the second level).