Pthalo's Awful Art Thread

Pthalo

'Nother update.

I noticed that my thread didn't have any male drawings -- soooo...

Here's a profile portrait of a superhero character that me and a friend cobbled together-- We call him The Meteorite. Uhhh... we haven't fleshed out more than that. For fun, what do you all think the Meteorite's backstory should be like? 

20180808_201551.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everybody,

It's been a while! This is a pseudo-update, and in it I just wanted to...

...Really  thank everyone for all of your nice words and support. It literally saved me.  I'm not joking when I tell you that I basically gave up on drawing this year because it seemed like a dead end. I'll gush here, since it's relevant now-- I have an arts degree, but I was never able to find any work with it-- heck, most of my faculty seniors didn't like my stuff while I was an undergrad, so I didn't get good references or intern work out of school, either. But, my grades were good, so there's that. 

The art that you've seen is actually me at my rustiest-- thus the name of the thread. One of the reasons I've been gone is my new job-- but there's another reason, too. As fun as it was to draw these, I want to go back and retry them. I've practiced --staying up late and getting up early-- for the last 30 days straight to try and get my techniques back! It's a weird feeling having a sort of purpose again. Prior to meeting you all, I hadn't really drawn since Halloween of last year.  

...I'm not used to good things being said about my work at all-- so again, Thank You all-- I wish I had known about Ultima when I was still an undergrad-- maybe I'd have done more. 

But! enough rambling. This weekend should be update city for this thread; The owners of these characters should be on the lookout--

*Claire

*Duja

*Goddess

*Dawn

*Memnok

-Pthalo :-)

• Like 7

That's such a cute little write up you just did. I'm glad everyone here gave you more faith in yourself. Your drawings are super clean. Remember there's always room for talent like yours in this world. Keep working hard. There's people out there who appreciate what you do. Get your name out there and make some money and love off of your talents. I look forward to seeing everything you're currently working on. <3 Stay cool

Edited by McLaughlin86
  • Like 4

Welcome back and nice ;) I'll look forward to them ^^

• Like 2

Never give up on the talents and abilities you've been blessed with Pthalo.  While you may not see the fruits of your labors now, like many famous artists, your recognition and accolades don't come till much later in life or in the fullness of time.  Always strive to push yourself beyond what you consider your limits and work harder to sharpen your skills, eventually that work and effort will pay off. 

Like many of the engineering jobs I do drafting for, sometimes it may take months or years before I finally see it built and enjoy the fruit of my own labors I helped create! :D

P.S. Sorry about never getting back to you on your "box" thingy, I could never get it to import into AutoCAD, you're probably gonna have to give me a hand-drawing of what you want and I'd have to take it from there.

• Like 1

Hi Everybody!

The telecom guys were fiddling with the tower outside all day, so I had to wait to post. 

Claire, as usual, is my first victim. The lines aren't crooked on the border, my hand was shaky during the photo. I inked this with some weird aquapens that bled through ALOT-- so this was a fun and exciting adventure. As far as progress-- maybe not 100% yet, but I feel like I'm getting there. 

ugu%202_zps8pmqlmss.jpg

-----

@McLaughlin86  Thank You! I really appreciate that; Hopefully I can get back in gear after all this time :). 

@R-78 Thanks! I'm glad to be back :-). 

@duja1001 Hi Duja! I guess I should add some Triforce stuff to the mix, too. I'll see what I can come up with!

@Trigunman  Thank You, Trigunman! That's something that I need to take to heart. Oh! And don't worry about the box-- I should have updated you-- I found an almost exact look-a-like at the electrical store while I was getting wire! But..now I have another question-- do you know of something that can cleanly cut a square in plastic?

Edited by Pthalo
Image Size
  • Like 8

19 hours ago, Pthalo said:

Thank You, Trigunman! That's something that I need to take to heart. Oh! And don't worry about the box-- I should have updated you-- I found an almost exact look-a-like at the electrical store while I was getting wire! But..now I have another question-- do you know of something that can cleanly cut a square in plastic?

Ahhh, that's easy, an exacto knife or maybe a utility knife as well if it's a thin enough piece of plastic.  However I will warn you, be extremely careful with both, use a piece of glass or metal as a cutting surface, make damn sure that plastic is secured before cutting and go easy with either.(just enough pressure to cut)  Cut away from you and make sure you don't cut close to your own hand with it.  The exacto is effectively as sharp as a medical scalpel and the utility knife (that uses a razor blade!) ain't too far behind it.   Honestly, you might be better off with a dremel though,(it's certainly safer than those two knives) but how cleanly you can cut with it takes a bit of practice, a dremel has alot of torque behind it for it's size which makes it tricky to get a clean cut.

Edited by Trigunman

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/9/2018 at 4:10 PM, Trigunman said:

Ahhh, that's easy, an exacto knife or maybe a utility knife as well if it's a thin enough piece of plastic.  However I will warn you, be extremely careful with both, use a piece of glass or metal as a cutting surface, make damn sure that plastic is secured before cutting and go easy with either.(just enough pressure to cut)  Cut away from you and make sure you don't cut close to your own hand with it.  The exacto is effectively as sharp as a medical scalpel and the utility knife (that uses a razor blade!) ain't too far behind it.   Honestly, you might be better off with a dremel though,(it's certainly safer than those two knives) but how cleanly you can cut with it takes a bit of practice, a dremel has alot of torque behind it for it's size which makes it tricky to get a clean cut.

Trigunman, I did most of what you said to do, and it turned out nicely! I'm going to glue the components down today and post the results after. :-)

For everyone who's waiting on a drawing from me-- I'm almost done with my current set; I had to wait on some ink to arrive. 

Thanks,

-Pthalo

• Like 4

On 9/8/2018 at 7:58 PM, Pthalo said:

Hi Everybody!

The telecom guys were fiddling with the tower outside all day, so I had to wait to post. 

Claire, as usual, is my first victim. The lines aren't crooked on the border, my hand was shaky during the photo. I inked this with some weird aquapens that bled through ALOT-- so this was a fun and exciting adventure. As far as progress-- maybe not 100% yet, but I feel like I'm getting there. 

ugu%202_zps8pmqlmss.jpg

-----

@McLaughlin86  Thank You! I really appreciate that; Hopefully I can get back in gear after all this time :). 

@R-78 Thanks! I'm glad to be back :-). 

@duja1001 Hi Duja! I guess I should add some Triforce stuff to the mix, too. I'll see what I can come up with!

@Trigunman  Thank You, Trigunman! That's something that I need to take to heart. Oh! And don't worry about the box-- I should have updated you-- I found an almost exact look-a-like at the electrical store while I was getting wire! But..now I have another question-- do you know of something that can cleanly cut a square in plastic?

I can't believe I'm just seeing this haha! Awesome work as usual!!  And it's always an honor to be your first victim :D 

Edited by cloor
  • Like 1

On 10/8/2018 at 9:46 PM, cloor said:

I can't believe I'm just seeing this haha! Awesome work as usual!!  And it's always an honor to be your first victim :D 

Thanks, cloor! I'm glad that you like it! :D

22 hours ago, redria7 said:

Ohey, it's you! You disappeared before our last TTF of the night. GG's! The art is amazing. Looking forward to more.

Hiya! I had to get some sleep before work so I had to bail, unfortunately. Thanks a bunch for the compliments, I plan to post more later this week! 

On 10/11/2018 at 1:04 AM, duja1001 said:

Excited to see what masterpiece you come up with, haven't seen you in game for a bit... Stupid work :onion-head05:

I haven't seen you in game in a while as well, Duja! Hopefully I can get some sessions in before this weekend is over. I've got a lot of things to ink now that my supplies are here, so hopefully I can add more to the thread. Thanks for being patient with me!

• Like 1