Newbie needing help

Hello, I'm new to PSOBB and still trying to figuring out a lot of things, but first, I have a question, that's what's the best for levelling up, it's the main quests or just do online quests, I'm still level 13, so any advice would help me a lot

Ahhh, on behalf of the server, welcome to Ultima Tavinhocj!

Allow me to lead you to links here that are introductory reading for any newcomer:

Keyboard Controls Layout Overlay - keyboard-layout.jpg

Section ID Calculator - https://www.phantasystaronline.net/forum/index.php?/tool-box/calculators/section-id/

Ultima Weapons, Armors and Items Wiki - https://www.phantasystaronline.net/forum/index.php?/wiki/items/

Ultima Drop Table - https://www.phantasystaronline.net/forum/index.php?/droptable/drop-tables/

Commonly used Ultima abbreviations -

Mags - https://www.phantasystaronline.net/forum/index.php?/forum/80-mags/

In-game Commands - https://www.phantasystaronline.net/forum/index.php?/tool-box/commands/

Ultima Server Character Viewer - https://www.phantasystaronline.net/forum/index.php?/tool-box/character-viewer/

Magatama Mag Calculator/Planner program (courtesy of Aether89) - https://github.com/Aether89/Magatama/releases

Quests - https://www.phantasystaronline.net/forum/index.php?/forum/81-quests/

Special Quest Rewards tables - https://www.phantasystaronline.net/forum/index.php?/droptable/special-quests/

Max Stats Calculator - https://www.phantasystaronline.net/forum/index.php?/tool-box/calculators/max-stats/

Max Stats Guide -

Ranger Class Guides -

Edited by Trigunman
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Oh, as far as your first questions regarding quests, Single player or multi, I'd do both.

The single player quests will unlock some very useful quests for creating monster weapons, adding hit to them and creating certain weapons.

The multiplayer quests like Towards the Future in EP1 and Respective Tomorrow in EP2 are all effectively boss speed run quests, thus giving you quite a bit of EXP each run from the bosses.

Honestly regarding any further advice at this point is rather moot as I don't know what character you're using and at level 13, you're still pretty low level to use any mid to high level gear that I would even recommend.

Let us know what class or classes you're playing, hit about level 50 or so and then maybe me or others can chime in to help you out.

Hope this helps, good luck and good hunting!

Edited by Trigunman
  • Like 1

Trigunman, it makes me proud to be your teammate when I see you help others in such a way. It makes me happy to see you keep it respectable. The manliness is with you.

As for easy power leveling, I recommend using traps if you're a cast, shotgun if you're a ranger, or slicer like Diska of Braveman if you're a hunter. Such a weapon can handle the first three bosses in TTF Ultima effectively.

Plus, a 50hit charge mechgun with a stack of meseta that can be obtained through users or GMs would be very helpful.

However, if the monsters are too stronk without a lv200 mag, then I recommend doing TTF Ultima until the Caves boss.

Up until that point there are a few monster spawns you want to skip and get.

In the first room of Forest, walking back triggers a few spawns which give nice exp until a certain level. At some level you can begin to skip the first room.

In the first room of caves, walk straight into the back of the hallway of the hidden door. After, unlocking the next door by killing the gate keeper, there is another spawn that triggers after the Lillies. Kill that spawn, then continue. I recommend RAcast, so you can use traps, shotguns, and avoid having to use status healing items.

In the next room, kill all the monsters except Lillies, then continue, kill them all in the room after that, but in the next room with the bunch of Slimes, try Damage traps or kill them all somehow. After, the last spawn will appear giving the best exp between forest and caves. Then you can type /lobby and repeat. This tactic is good if you're a solo player that wants to power grind exp. When playing with other players, you'd benefit from doing the entire quest.

If I remember correctly, regular TTF gives about 3 levels, while TTFu gives about 5 levels if you target the correct mobs and keep a good pace.

In the first room of Mines, walking all the way back to the gate spawns another spawn for good exp followed by another spawn worthy of taking out. The 3rd spawn in Mine's first room can be skipped.

Also, feel free to try Terror's Ultima Pso texture/ogg pack if you use 1080p resolution.

Welcome to PSO Ultima. Have fun.

May the manliness be with you.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Emewn said:

Trigunman, it makes me proud to be your teammate when I see you help others in such a way.

It makes me happy to see you keep it respectable. The manliness is with you.

Heh, it's just what I do here man, for a long time it seems...

Being a mentor to the newcomers, it's my way of "paying back to the server", it's all good and thanks.  :onion-head11::onion108:

Edited by Trigunman

How do I use the quick techs menu in keyboard?

On 1/20/2017 at 11:25 AM, Fyrewolf5 said:

Quick Menu Techs are ordered specially as well (you can order the quick menu techs with Tab), Quick Menu is great for things you only use occasionally(grants/megid/gifoie/shifta/deband), need a backup from back palette in case of having 100 pb (shifta/deband, since those are only every 4-5minute cast anyway), or may want to do 0delay casting for (resta/gizonde/gifoie/grants/megid), so it's really useful to reorganize so the top and bottom techs are specific things you may want.

I wish I had more than 10 + 6 keys to use for skills, so I really want to get access to that quick menu, which is probably comfier than using F3 to open the technique tab, browsing the technique tiers, and selecting a technique.

Also, can you really cast skills with 0 delay? o-o

I realize there is a Ctrl+End to change weapons quickly, which is really handy, but where is this quick techs menu or how can I add it?

Edited by Limonada
expanded

52 minutes ago, Limonada said:

I wish I had more than 10 + 6 keys to use for skills, so I really want to get access to that quick menu, which is probably comfier than using F3 to open the technique tab, browsing the technique tiers, and selecting a technique.

I realize there is a Ctrl+End to change weapons quickly, which is really handy, but where is this quick techs menu or how can I add it?

With Ctrl+End quick menu open, you can use the arrow keys to toggle through Weapons, Consumables, and Spells windows.  You can even reorder spells with tab so you can always have quick access to a less used spell (I keep resta on top for healing myself w/o healing DF uses, and Reveser and Ryuker on the bottom) 

*The heal only myself trick is that if you select a spell from the quick menu to cast while in an animation it will cast on 0 delay, but also will not target allies.  This means you can glide attack and then resta only yourself.  This is useful when you have a DF user that wants to have low hp, but you are out of mates.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Limonada said:

Yes, by using the quick menu (which as lemon said is the same ctrl+end menu, it just cycles through weapons>items>techs/traps with right palette) or the f3 tech menu to queue spells, you will cast them on your first free frame, which is usually quite a bit faster when spamming a lot of something, even a turbo controller will not keep up with it. It can be useful for a number of things, such as gizonde tricking vol opt phase1 (0delay casting usually required to stunlock properly), and resta for selfcasts. Another use as mentioned, if you can drop targeting (such as when knocked to the ground, in weapon recovery, or changing weapons) and queue up a resta, you will not regain targets until after you cast resta, allowing you to only heal yourself. I like to keep Resta-Gizonde-Gifoie-Grants near the top of my menu, and Ryuker-Megid-Deband-Shifta near the bottom, allowing me relatively quick access to those spells whenever and can chain cast them if need be (mostly for gizonde/gifoie/grants/megid). It is also possible to cancel a queued tech by scrolling the menu to another category.

• Like 1

Yes.

Spoiler

I can confidently say that is the case.

I haven't seen the official numbers, but I solod the story mode of episode 1, and thanks to the 3x experience boost I did caves/mines in hard and ruins in very hard. Did the hunter's guild solo missions first, then the governor ones. When I could one-combo monsters in solo, it took me an attack or more two on "normal", even without accessing to missions amd just going to forest/caves/mines/ruins.

It makes sense that multiplayer mobs are scaled to last a bit more against multiple players. :P

Different quests to also have monsters scaled up or down even in the same difficulty and game mode.