Remote Play at work

C01D1

Is it possible to make a version of the game you could transport with a flash drive, and play without having to install? I've seen that done with Counter Strike, C&C Tiberian Sun, and a couple other games. That way you could circumvent administrative blocks on installation and have plenty of FPS. I'd play at lunch all the time if we had a version like that.

1 hour ago, HK-47 said:

Is it possible to make a version of the game you could transport with a flash drive, and play without having to install? I've seen that done with Counter Strike, C&C Tiberian Sun, and a couple other games. That way you could circumvent administrative blocks on installation and have plenty of FPS. I'd play at lunch all the time if we had a version like that.

Yea, I've done it many times.  I have a entire PSOBB Ultima install along with the Mag Farm, Section ID calculator, and a fullscreen/window mode app for PSOBB all running off a 8 gb thumbdrive.  Usually I'd play it off my mom's laptop or maybe my sister's laptop when I'm visiting her out of town. (along with tons of other emulators/roms and a few other games)  Depending on how good your laptop or desktop computer's graphical abilities are (whether standalone graphics card or something like AMD's APU, CPU/GPU on-die) it's very possible to do it at playable framerates with PSOBB.  It doesn't require massive amounts of modern CPU and GPU muscle to play it at decent framerates.

Edited by Trigunman
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Trigunman said:

Yea, I've done it many times.  I have a entire PSOBB Ultima install along with the Mag Farm, Section ID calculator, and a fullscreen/window mode app for PSOBB all running off a 8 gb thumbdrive.  Usually I'd play it off my mom's laptop or maybe my sister's laptop when I'm visiting her out of town. (along with tons of other emulators/roms and a few other games)  Depending on how good your laptop or desktop computer's graphical abilities are (whether standalone graphics card or something like AMD's APU, CPU/GPU on-die) it's very possible to do it at playable framerates with PSOBB.  It doesn't require massive amounts of modern CPU and GPU muscle to play it at decent framerates.

Oh my computer at work can handle it no problem. It has a high spec CPU/GPU and lots of RAM because we do a lot of complex CAD work and finite element analysis simulations. Can't install anything though so my lunchtime gaming options have been limited.

How did you make PSO and other games portable? Is it easy for someone with limited programming knowledge? I have a very high capacity flash drive, so I could put lots of games on it. Do you know if Steam games require a portable copy of Steam to run them? I'd love to make Factorio, Kerbal Space Program, Frostpunk, and others portable.

8 minutes ago, HK-47 said:

Oh my computer at work can handle it no problem. It has a high spec CPU/GPU and lots of RAM because we do a lot of complex CAD work and finite element analysis simulations. Can't install anything though so my lunchtime gaming options have been limited.

How did you make PSO and other games portable? Is it easy for someone with limited programming knowledge? I have a very high capacity flash drive, so I could put lots of games on it. Do you know if Steam games require a portable copy of Steam to run them? I'd love to make Factorio, Kerbal Space Program, Frostpunk, and others portable.

Given the size of thumb drives up into the 128 GB size and the size of the install of said games, making them portable is soooo very easy these days bro.

No coding or programming required in most cases, it's just merely a matter of how tied to the System Registry the game is if I had to guess.  If it's like PSOBB, easy peasy, no installed registry entries.  Steam games sadly are a whole other ball of wax, you have to have the client installed and it IS most likely tied to the System Registry.  There may be some games that may be hacked to run without Steam, that would seem to be an easier venture IMHO.  As far as how exactly to do that...  Ahhh yea, no clue.   Time to exercise some google-fu... ^_^

Edited by Trigunman

5 minutes ago, nnorton44 said:

I'd say speed is more important than capacity

Agreed, assuming the computer you're on has a USB 3.0 port on it.

Bottom line, modern USB thumb drives are nothing more than very small, portable solidstate drives, their I/O will be inherently faster than platter drives, particularly USB 3.0 ones.

Edited by Trigunman
  • Like 1

Yeah I figured steam games would be impractical. But what about making PSO portable, how did you do it? Just copy/paste all of PSO’s files onto the flash drive? Something else? I’d rather not use third party software if it can be avoided, I did see one freeware program that takes a snapshot of your system state before and after install to make a portable version. Is that what you used?

1 hour ago, HK-47 said:

Yeah I figured steam games would be impractical. But what about making PSO portable, how did you do it? Just copy/paste all of PSO’s files onto the flash drive? Something else? I’d rather not use third party software if it can be avoided, I did see one freeware program that takes a snapshot of your system state before and after install to make a portable version. Is that what you used?

Bro, you're waaaaayyy overthinking this, it's far easier than you're thinking...  Like I said, there are no real system files associated with the game that Windows needs apparently, at least I know this for sure on Win 7 64 bit and Win 8 64 bit.(where I have played off the thumb drive on)   You do know how to work your way around Windows Explorer right?

Find your PSOBB folder the game is installed to on your C: drive (I assume, mine's on my platter drive, F:, C: is my OS drive, my solid state drive) right click on folder, copy.

Insert thumb drive, paste files to thumb drive.  Eject thumb drive.  Insert thumb drive on computer of choice, find PSOBB "LAUNCHER.EXE", run updates (if necessary), play game...

The PSOBB folder on my hard drive is only a little over a GB in size, 1.12 GB to be exact.  Just make sure you have some space left over for temp files on the thumb drive, about 20 megs would be sufficient I'd say.  A 8 GB thumb drive is plenty big enough for this.  Just remember, if you don't play off that thumb drive often, the game will have to update occasionally, since it's files will be so old by that point.  Hope this helps!

Yea, I was doing a Sham/Kon/St. run in EP4 the other day with an IT guy who was literally playing PSOBB on the clock and doesn't get busted for it, LOL.

I need to get into one of those kinda jobs... :onion108: