This is what PSO BB Would look like in 60FPS

Hello , im not a really active user in this forum neither ingame , but a while ago i discovered something called Framerate interpolation wich is basically doubling up the frames of a 30fps video (in my case) and letting a software "guess" what frames should be in between to make it look like a 60 FPS video

sadly , this was not me playing live , it's an added video effect , there is ways to have live frame interpolation for some games but that's kind of a tricky thing to do .

I've also seen people doing this with filters using OBS (https://obsproject.com) But there wasn't much information on how he did it , i mean it would be cool to be able to play PSO BB with a "Simulated 60 fps" in live if you have processing power to spare !

So yeah i just wanted to showcase that video :

Be sure to select 720p60 on youtube to be able to notice the difference : image.thumb.png.c0b6e928ca264dc8ed44201570e694a8.png

Edited by Liarus
  • Like 11

After watching it on my computer (rather then phone) it does look nicER without the motion blur. It'd be nice if they'd or someone would remake the game, well remaster the graphics, Even doubling it, requiring 1gb dedicated GPU would be great.

Ahhh the smooth transition of the camara, it feels awesome to see it at 60fps. Thanks for the video !

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

It definitely looks very nice even just using interpolation. I always advocate for at least 60fps in games if possible, it would be nice to actually unlock the framerate in pso for modern systems someday, provided doing so doesn't cause major animation/physics/collision/etc. issues.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Fyrewolf5 said:

It definitely looks very nice even just using interpolation. I always advocate for at least 60fps in games if possible, it would be nice to actually unlock the framerate in pso for modern systems someday, provided doing so doesn't cause major animation/physics/collision/etc. issues.

10 hours ago, Soly said:

I have looked into it before (not for too long) but didn't get anything, might try so more some day.

Indeed it would be nice.

I know that has never been really possible for PSOBB as people already tried

i m not sure , but i am guessing many timings in PSO are based on the framerate so unlocking the game to 60 fps would cause problems , that's the basics of what i heard / seen

Now , almost no one thought about using this technique , maybe an external DLL or somthing like that could be injected in to the game to add a framerate interpolation filter on top of it , so it wouldn't affect the game in anyway , and still give us 60 FPS

I did some ressearch about this , and some of it leaded me to a video encoder called SVP (Smooth Video Project : https://www.svp-team.com/wiki/Main_Page)

wich makes one media player able to play a interpolated 24 - 30 fps movie at either 60 or even 120 FPS live , of course i don't have much more information than that but maybe something could be done using an external filter to do this instead of trying to alter the game itself ?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Liarus said:

i m not sure , but i am guessing many timings in PSO are based on the framerate so unlocking the game to 60 fps would cause problems , that's the basics of what i heard / seen

Yes but you never know....

8 minutes ago, Liarus said:

Now , almost no one thought about using this technique , maybe an external DLL or somthing like that could be injected in to the game to add a framerate interpolation filter on top of it , so it wouldn't affect the game in anyway , and still give us 60 FPS

I did some ressearch about this , and some of it leaded me to a video encoder called SVP (Smooth Video Project : https://www.svp-team.com/wiki/Main_Page)

wich makes one media player able to play a interpolated 24 - 30 fps movie at either 60 or even 120 FPS live ,of course i don't have much more information than that but maybe something could be done using an external filter to do this instead of trying to alter the game itself ?

I saw something like that or even that same thing before... 
The problem with such technique in video games, is that you would need the next (few?) frames to do the interpolation??
I can't say anything for sure as this is not something I have experience with but I personally think the best way is to "unlock" 60 fps in the game itself, then the timings can be dealt with.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Hatsodoom Reiga said:

Okay, honest question here, why do some people think everything needs to be 60 FPS? I never notice a difference and I can spot a white speck on a white wall.

Besides the obvious of it looking much better (motion is far more fluid / smooth), most games poll input per frame, meaning higher framerate results in more precise control. While some people do play pso kinda casually, it is heavily timing based and could stand to benefit from it. Most often you see fighting games, fps games, and precision platformers really strive to hit minimum 60fps, as quick, twitch reaction control is important in those types of games.

1 hour ago, Hatsodoom Reiga said:

Okay, honest question here, why do some people think everything needs to be 60 FPS? I never notice a difference and I can spot a white speck on a white wall.

Edited by O9B066
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Hatsodoom Reiga said:

If you don't see the difference , you might be using a high latency monitor , or just an old monitor , or not be watching in 720p60 , or maybe your computer itself can't really do a video playback at such a framrate ( wich is common with old computers)   going from 30 to 60 fps isn't a graphical improvement , but more of a quality of life thing .

if any modern game ( wich pso bb isn't ) having more than 30 FPS is crutial as you can react and see moving stuff much clearer than a locked 30 fps game , and that is important especially in FPS or fast paced games .

and if this is what you are trying to say , i understand that 60fps isn't necessary at all for PSOBB as it isn't by any means a fast game .

oh and the video above that compares 30 to 60 fps isn't really good , the guy doesn't even get to a stable 60 fps , here's a good one :

also @Soly you don't necessarly needs the next frame , a software can guess what will be the next frame by comparing the ones before , i think that process is called Extrapolation

as an exemple if you have a black background image with a white dot on it , and the next image is the same image but the white dot is offset by 1 pixel to the left , a extrapolation algorythm can guess that the next image will be the same dot offset by one more pixel

this gives the same effect as interpolation but yeah it could cause more noticeable visual glitches .

anyway , im not a really good programmer neither devlopper , but i like talking about that stuff !

Edited by Liarus

4 hours ago, Liarus said:

If you don't see the difference , you might be using a high latency monitor , or just an old monitor , or not be watching in 720p60 , or maybe your computer itself can't really do a video playback at such a framrate ( wich is common with old computers)   going from 30 to 60 fps isn't a graphical improvement , but more of a quality of life thing .

if any modern game ( wich pso bb isn't ) having more than 30 FPS is crutial as you can react and see moving stuff much clearer than a locked 30 fps game , and that is important especially in FPS or fast paced games .

and if this is what you are trying to say , i understand that 60fps isn't necessary at all for PSOBB as it isn't by any means a fast game .

oh and the video above that compares 30 to 60 fps isn't really good , the guy doesn't even get to a stable 60 fps , here's a good one :

i was litteraly going to use this for an example, because the graphics in this game are very nice, and its easy to see the difference especially in the background, the trees and stuff, but i found a high speed gta run and theirs more going on, other cars, water buildings.

is a even better example that shows clarity. I notice a difference in things on my computer, 2 screens (samsung smart led tv's) are hooked up via hdmi cables, to my video card's. I have a third monitor to the onboard gpu, and even playing pso on either of the two different types of displays theirs an apparent difference. 

@Hatsodoom Reiga It's really just textures as they move, especially lines that define different things when they go by fast, are much more smoother. 1st person shooter for example, if you spin around in a circle at 30fps things are more of a blur, not so bad, but at 60fps and above things are crisp  and at certain high speed/fast paced games, it does help, but in pso, it would just be a comfort of living thing, and its a noticeable difference in that too.

another very great example, a stand still example, that goes beyond 60fps, skip to about 30 seconds in ( or watch it all) and this is a still cam, notices the difference in the waves?

and also @Hatsodoom Reiga your monitor's ability to "refresh" play a huge part. You can have a sweet video card playing project cars or max effect andromada playing either on max settings, and have a cheap monitor(tv) with a slow refresh speed, and it will look crappy too. But with the same gpu and a faster refresh rate, you will get a better picture, and sometimes just a better monitor alone will help quality alone. example here....

Edited by O9B066
  • Like 1