Dedicated GPU

ipolyr

I'm seeking technical assistance.

I have a Lenovo Y50-70 Touch Notebook with an Nvidia GTX 860m.  When running Psobb.exe, it will only utilize the Intel Graphics.  

I have tried the following:

• Running psobb.exe as an Administrator
  • Right clicking psobb.exe and forcing the app to run with the "high performance processor"
  • Changed the global settings in Nvidia Control Panel to prefer the "high performance NVIDIA processor"
  • Selected the Nvidia Program Settings, and selected psobb.exe to use my GPU
  • Tried using Geforce Experience (PSO is not compatible)
  • Accessed my Notebook's BIOS settings, but I cannot set the GPU to be the only graphics setting.
  • Rolling back my nvidia driver, uninstalling all the nvidia related apps, and reinstalling. 

-I was able to get psobb.exe to run on my desktop, utilizing my R9 Graphics card.  I'm not sure why it refuses to run with my Notebook's GPU...  I am able to run the launcher.exe, chrome, and other games using the GPU. (I was monitoring the GPU activity) 

I thank you for taking the time to view the post, and any help is greatly appreciated!

-Polyr

3 minutes ago, mudkipzjm said:

My guess is that PSO is too old/stupid to know to use the Nvidia card and will only use the default card. I'm probably wrong but that's just my guess.

Or the fact that pso doesn't the leverage the gpu for anything. I think there's only 2-3 things total in the game that it'll actually use the gpu at all for (I think maybe water reflections and something in ep4 like merissa a/aa texture or hot sand room fog?). Not entirely sure which things, but 99.9% of everything in the game is done by the cpu only.

yea oif you have a laptop with that gpu in it, its cpu has a strong enough built in card for this game, you wont get any benefit from runnings a aftermarket card, trust me im crossfiring 2 8 gig radeon's

as a matter of fact, if you had been using amd cards, anything before the crimson softweare you can actually set what progs run from what card, but i updated to crimson...i was just looking into where you went for that....but eww you have nvidia anyways 

Edited by O9B066
1 hour ago, mudkipzjm said:

My guess is that PSO is too old/stupid to know to use the Nvidia card and will only use the default card. I'm probably wrong but that's just my guess.

I appreciate your input!

59 minutes ago, Fyrewolf5 said:

Or the fact that pso doesn't the leverage the gpu for anything. I think there's only 2-3 things total in the game that it'll actually use the gpu at all for (I think maybe water reflections and something in ep4 like merissa a/aa texture or hot sand room fog?). Not entirely sure which things, but 99.9% of everything in the game is done by the cpu only.

I see... It is definitely playable on my laptop, just wanted a higher resolution and drawing distance.  Thanks!

46 minutes ago, O9B066 said:

yea oif you have a laptop with that gpu in it, its cpu has a strong enough built in card for this game, you wont get any benefit from runnings a aftermarket card, trust me im crossfiring 2 8 gig radeon's

as a matter of fact, if you had been using amd cards, anything before the crimson softweare you can actually set what progs run from what card, but i updated to crimson...i was just looking into where you went for that....but eww you have nvidia anyways 

I have a R9 8 GB in my desktop, but wanted to take advantage of my notebook's gpu, if possible.  Nvidia has a similar function (monitoring which apps are using the GPU), but that's irrelevant.  Thanks for your response!

4 hours ago, O9B066 said:

actually, if you want some better graphics theres all sorts of resolution packs etc that make certain things or places in the game look pretty good hd texture packs i think there called

I'm not too interested in better graphics necessarily.  I want a consistent framerate.  Barba Ray, for instance, becomes very laggy.  Ep 2 SeaLab runs 50% slower, as well.
I have textures with shading, high-def text, etc on my desktop.  This is actually why I was trying to get it to run well on my laptop, as well!

31 minutes ago, Soly said:

Afaik that's a know bug....
Maybe there could be some sort of generic patch or something but don't think we can fix it... ... maybe.

Thank you for your response, Soly!
I will take advantage of some of the texture/skin packages available to reduce the graphic demand, and i'll you know if I discover anything that may be useful to you.

I believe it is safe to close this thread, at this point.

Happy New Year!

7 minutes ago, serverus said:

try to update ur graphics drivers 

I gave that a try. No dice! Thanks for your advice, though.

• Like 1