Ultima Christmas Event 2017

Larva

1 hour ago, Fyrewolf5 said:

Sadly it's not possible to have bosses drop more than 1 rare item. People didn't have to do only rt though. There are multiple ways to reach olga flow, and rt isn't even the fastest way. I was running other things because I think RT has really bad spawn and map design, and some of them do actually give extremely notable drops on the way (roct rewards like yas9k, red sword, and samba maracas along with high-tier tower drops like sjs, wd, or high-tier seabed drops like zanba and yas7k); finding up to 85hit roct reward or an sjs or zanba (zanba is stronger than dark flow, and tjs is nearly as strong) are certainly quite worth. I am for the idea of other events also dropping pgf so that it happens like twice a year instead of just once. We did have quite a lot of pgf drop this year though (definitely had over 100 of them at least), significantly more than previous years.

Unfortunately 99% of public games were RT with the occasional seabed+RT run. I'm not overgeared and therefore cannot quickly or easily solo Olga Flow in phase 2. So for efficiency I was more or less dependent on public games to get faster kills. The time difference was pretty absurd on whether or not someone in the party had Dark Meteor or Dark Flow. It easily cut off 5-10 minutes of the average run time. It would be nice if it was a year round drop or available from multiple events. I enjoy the challenge of finding a super rare drop but it sucks that it was gated behind a 3 week window. IF you were lucky and got a PGF or 2 or 5 you are now super rich and can clear all content several times faster thus increasing your wealth even further creating an even bigger gap between the haves and the have nots. It is extremely frustrating to have worked so hard for a drop only to see the majority other players with at least 1 of said item now. I know there are a select few players that I've run with and talked to that have been at this for several years with no luck. I feel really bad for them to have put in so much more time and effort only to see no reward year after year. If people can't get that carrot off the stick they're going to give up.

Would it really hurt the economy if everyone had at least one Dark weapon from that event? I don't know about anyone else but If I had gotten a PGF and turned it into a Dark Meteor I would be compelled to level one of each ID up to 200 as a ranger. That would be more items found and available in the trade economy. I enjoy playing with random people in public games. This event, however, left me with no desire to play my Ramarl anymore even after hitting 200 during the event because the best multi target weapon for that class is no longer available as a drop. There is no way newer players, such as myself, could afford to trade for one until probably next year (next time it is huntable haha right) if I was lucky enough selling other drops considering they are going for 200-300 dts or roughly 1400-2100 pds. Also the amount of PGF drops isn't really relevant if many of those went to the same people more than once and to people that already have Dark weapons while others that have an equal or greater amount of kills on Olga Flow received zero PGF drops. It creates an unfortunate disparity of wealth that is not very welcoming to new or veteran players with bad luck. Event items are insanely expensive and I now understand why. A select few reap the rewards of "luck" while others have to work their butt off only to have to do even more work to buy from the lucky few.

The main issue is people feel very slighted for the amount of time they sank into the event and have literally nothing to show for it while others may or may not have worked as hard and hauled in a fortune strictly because of RNG. The only thing we're told is that there is no way to track kill totals for players on specific bosses. Since you're only able to do one item drop per mob maybe instead of my previous suggestion you could have the boss like Olga Flow drop kill counter tokens during the events and during non-event times the PGF drop could be in effect. Another idea to use during events like this last one for Christmas, is it possible to spawn an extra box after Olga Flow dies that contains something like an item voucher, ticket or whatever you'd like to call it?

If that is not a viable suggestion are the GMs able to see the specific characters that found PGFs? You could always bump the drop rate higher and higher based on total kills if possible (which we've been told is not) or bump it every hour/day of the event until said character/account actually has PGF drop then reset the chance back to the original rate for that character or account. Its the same kind of idea they have put in many other games so that you will eventually get an item drop if you do enough work. At the same time it keeps people from finding inordinate amounts of an item because once they get the drop their odds of finding it drop back down. You definitely won't want to drop rate to become 100% at any point because then people would just pop on the last day to get one and leave.

Long story short some sort of progressively increasing drop rate would be another alternative to the current system other than some kind of item voucher drop for event items like STA or PGF.  I'm just trying to think of some ideas here to help make events a little less frustrating and a little more rewarding and fair to everyone that participates, especially the dedicated ones that spend a lot of time on the events.

• Like 4

The cycle cannot be broken.  To play here from anniversary through Xmas is to become intimately acquainted with frustration.  The ragequitters will mostly come back for valentines... mostly

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jj733 said:

Unfortunately 99% of public games were RT with the occasional seabed+RT run. I'm not overgeared and therefore cannot quickly or easily solo Olga Flow in phase 2.

I enjoy the challenge of finding a super rare drop but it sucks that it was gated behind a 3 week window. IF you were lucky and got a PGF or 2 or 5 you are now super rich and can clear all content several times faster thus increasing your wealth even further creating an even bigger gap between the haves and the have nots. It is extremely frustrating to have worked so hard for a drop only to see the majority other players with at least 1 of said item now.

Also the amount of PGF drops isn't really relevant if many of those went to the same people more than once and to people that already have Dark weapons while others that have an equal or greater amount of kills on Olga Flow received zero PGF drops. It creates an unfortunate disparity of wealth that is not very welcoming to new or veteran players with bad luck.

The main issue is people feel very slighted for the amount of time they sank into the event and have literally nothing to show for it while others may or may not have worked as hard and hauled in a fortune strictly because of RNG. 

I pretty much agree with pretty much everything in your post but I've highlighted the main points.

I did at least 200 Olga kills during the event, hunting without any dark weapon - although it was very rare to do a run where nobody had a dark weapon, so runs usually went pretty quickly. I didn't manage to find a PGF (although I saw a few drop and managed to get a pd - which almost destroyed my controller!) but I have to say, as frustrating as it is not getting a PGF, the worst part is having nothing to show for all my effort.

Surely it could be implemented that Olga always drops a green box stackable ticket that can be exchanged for something? If not, some way of rewarding a lot of effort.

I also like your idea of scaling drop rates based on amount of runs or amount of pgf's found ie. once you've found one, it's a lot harder to get a second - although I guess that would be extremely difficult to implement.

Personally I would love to see PGF huntable all year round with a low drop rate, increasing for the xmas event. This would help lower the crazy prices that are going around right now, which in my opinion is terrible for the economy. As you say, someone finds two or three PGFS and they're super rich and can buy every item they like. One spare PGF and you got 300 dts to blow, which pushes the prices of everything else up. For an item that is actually quite common (about 90% of the people I play with have at least one dark weapon) the price is insane.

I'm not one of those that constantly moans and threatens to quit (I'm looking forward to the valentines event!) but it's a situation that needs to be improved. However, thinking about it, most people who wanted a PGF found at least one, so it only affects a few of us and I guess most don't care.

I'm not sure how much attention @Larva pays to posts like this, especially from relative new comers to the server but I'd love to know his thoughts.

59 minutes ago, starscreme said:

I did at least 200 Olga kills during the event, hunting without any dark weapon - although it was very rare to do a run where nobody had a dark weapon, so runs usually went pretty quickly. I didn't manage to find a PGF (although I saw a few drop and managed to get a pd - which almost destroyed my controller!) but I have to say, as frustrating as it is not getting a PGF, the worst part is having nothing to show for all my effort.

Surely it could be implemented that Olga always drops a green box stackable ticket that can be exchanged for something? If not, some way of rewarding a lot of effort.

I also like your idea of scaling drop rates based on amount of runs or amount of pgf's found ie. once you've found one, it's a lot harder to get a second - although I guess that would be extremely difficult to implement.

Personally I would love to see PGF huntable all year round with a low drop rate, increasing for the xmas event. This would help lower the crazy prices that are going around right now, which in my opinion is terrible for the economy. As you say, someone finds two or three PGFS and they're super rich and can buy every item they like. One spare PGF and you got 300 dts to blow, which pushes the prices of everything else up. For an item that is actually quite common (about 90% of the people I play with have at least one dark weapon) the price is insane.

I'm not one of those that constantly moans and threatens to quit (I'm looking forward to the valentines event!) but it's a situation that needs to be improved. However, thinking about it, most people who wanted a PGF found at least one, so it only affects a few of us and I guess most don't care.

I'm not sure how much attention @Larva pays to posts like this, especially from relative new comers to the server but I'd love to know his thoughts.

Yeah I'm sorry if it looked like I was raging or complaining but it does suck for a few people to get absolutely nothing out of an event. I feel for you guys and gals that have dealt with this for several years. Hopefully a few tweaks can be made to make events a more rewarding and satisfying experience for all of us. I like the idea of having PGF drop all year but boosting the drop rate during events. That wouldn't be too difficult to implement if all else fails, assuming they do indeed wish to adjust things.

Why not do away with the pgf drop all together and doing something like the naka cards where you beat the boss get a card and at the end of the event exchange it for the pgf? and if you do not get enough this year you can save them for next year or sell them? This way you are guaranteed something for all the runs. I figure that would be better then seeing a player that has been on this server less then one month get two pgf in the first 3 days, and hearing the others brag about getting the drop in their first few runs while others end up with nothing. It is just an idea. I am not sure how hard that would be to implement or what the possible complaints would be, but it seams like having the pgf drop and some type of naka card drop at the same time would just cause problems. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Skitso said:

Why not do away with the pgf drop all together and doing something like the naka cards where you beat the boss get a card and at the end of the event exchange it for the pgf? and if you do not get enough this year you can save them for next year or sell them? This way you are guaranteed something for all the runs. I figure that would be better then seeing a player that has been on this server less then one month get two pgf in the first 3 days, and hearing the others brag about getting the drop in their first few runs while others end up with nothing. It is just an idea. I am not sure how hard that would be to implement or what the possible complaints would be, but it seams like having the pgf drop and some type of naka card drop at the same time would just cause problems. 

I like this idea but it kinda goes against the pso premises. Why only do that for this item and not for other things like Sealed J-Sword? The drop system from the vanilla game is part of what makes things interesting for some people. You could get mad at a new player who got SJS on his first encounter when you've been hunting endlessly but that doesn't mean the drop system needs to change. I do think the drop should be more reasonable if it's only gonna drop 3 weeks out of the year. I feel like if you devote your life to getting it during those three weeks you should have a pretty good chance (at least 60%). I'm at over 400 runs if you include my ones from 2016 and I know I'm not the only one.

If they were to take into account the average time it takes to kill Olga (factoring in people from different levels) then look at the amount of hours you can play during those 3 weeks assuming you still have to sleep and most people have jobs and/or school I think they would come up with a more reasonable rate. Anything close to 1/400 is ridiculous (I don't know the actual rate) you're looking at close to 200 hours of grinding in a 3 week period. There's only so many hours in a day. I'd rather something much more reasonable and very little or no happy hour during this time since it just complicates things unless they want to alter DAR.

I do like the idea of a special box appearing after you get the drop from Olga. As long as it contains something reasonably viable even if it doesn't help you get pgf. It's unfortunate having nothing to show for your efforts. I guess if new years cards are worthwhile it'll address that issue. Although all ID should've dropped it at that point or they should have told us which do. I wasted the first half of the event running on Viridia :"L

Edited by tru
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, tru said:

I like this idea but it kinda goes against the pso premises. Why only do that for this item and not for other things like Sealed J-Sword? The drop system from the vanilla game is part of what makes things interesting for some people. You could get mad at a new player who got SJS on his first encounter when you've been hunting endlessly but that doesn't mean the drop system needs to change. I do think the drop should be more reasonable if it's only gonna drop 3 weeks out of the year. I feel like if you devote your life to getting it during those three weeks you should have a pretty good chance (at least 60%). I'm at over 400 runs if you include my ones from 2016 and I know I'm not the only one.

If they were to take into account the average time it takes to kill Olga (factoring in people from different levels) then look at the amount of hours you can play during those 3 weeks assuming you still have to sleep and most people have jobs and/or school I think they would come up with a more reasonable rate. Anything close to 1/400 is ridiculous (I don't know the actual rate) you're looking at close to 200 hours of grinding in a 3 week period. There's only so many hours in a day. I'd rather something much more reasonable and very little or no happy hour during this time since it just complicates things unless they want to alter DAR.

I do like the idea of a special box appearing after you get the drop from Olga. As long as it contains something reasonably viable even if it doesn't help you get pgf. It's unfortunate having nothing to show for your efforts. I guess if new years cards are worthwhile it'll address that issue. Although all ID should've dropped it at that point or they should have told us which do. I wasted the first half of the event running on Viridia :"L

I don't mean this for all drops just the top event drops that are only up 3 weeks or so (pgf, sta things like that). The sjs drops year round if I remember right.

On 07/01/2018 at 7:35 PM, Shin said:

You can also get them from barba ray on ult with yellowboze. Last year dorphon eclair dropped them for redria on ult, but I have not confirmed it this year. 

Redria Ult Dorphon Eclair EPIV confirmed!

Event has finally ended Thanks for participate.

if you guys would like to keep the chitchat about the drops and all that surround the pgf magic. Please open another topic and gladly we can continue there.

gonna close this one.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2