Can't Make Account, Email's Already in Use

Sorry to ask an obvious question, but I'm having a bit of a problem registering. I tried to create an account, but I was was given an "invalid password" message. Poking around a little, I noticed one forum post mentioned not to use capital letters or "weird characters," so I tried to create a new password. However, now I can't create an account because the email is "already in use." I've tried using alternate names, alternate passwords, but to no avail. I haven't received an email, so I don't think it completely registered in. Should I wait for twenty-four hours before trying again, or am I missing something obvious?

I suspect I should have stopped over in the Hello section to introduce myself first, but given that I had troubles even signing in here (misread the initials question, failed, and the page wouldn't reset the security check for some reason; gave up and used my Google account), I didn't want to make my presence too largely known before I even knew whether I was here or not. Again, I'm sorry if this gets asked a lot; I tried searching older posts, but the only results seemed to involve PMs, so I decided to give it a shot. Thank you in advance for any help and advice!

3 minutes ago, Exotic said:

if you add a period anywhere in your gmail address (except the very beginning/end of you address) and you should be able to use it again.

Example: 

myemailaddress@gmail.com = my.emailaddress@gmail.com

Thank you so much, that worked perfectly! I have no idea why it worked, but I'm incredibly grateful to finally get a shot at this. Thank you again for the advice!

• Like 1