The operation was not complete because the file being downloaded contained a virus or unwanted software, or something like that.

If anyone's having problems with the launcher not able complete its auto update, Windows Defender might be stopping it (should appear as a notification that Windows Defender is removing the malware).

Sign in to your administrator account

Open up Windows Defender, and go to settings.

Under exclusions, click "Add an exclusion"

Exclude your Ultima PSOBB folder. It's default location after installing it will be in your C: drive.

Now you should be able to use your launcher without being an administrator, but while you're in your admin account, you might as well try using the launcher, then launch the game.

This is actually helpful. However, since this started happening my language changed to perhaps Japanese? It doesn't change when I change the language back to English. I didn't download any updates or anything. Just a few days ago I went to log in and everything was in perhaps Japanese or some other language and I can't get it to change back no matter what I do. I uninstalled and re-installed. Know anything about that? When I go to the options menu everything is in English still but when I go to log in it isn't. 

Just now, Naravis said:

This is actually helpful. However, since this started happening my language changed to perhaps Japanese? It doesn't change when I change the language back to English. I didn't download any updates or anything. Just a few days ago I went to log in and everything was in perhaps Japanese or some other language and I can't get it to change back no matter what I do. I uninstalled and re-installed. Know anything about that? When I go to the options menu everything is in English still but when I go to log in it isn't. 

This is because an update to your antivirus made it delete our DLL.
You will need to white list the game folder.

You can also manually update with the latest update from here

I broke it. I broke everything. I got my software to stop blocking and quarantining it. Then it started giving me a weird white window with an OK button that had a ton of symbols like percent signs and whatnot. Then I did the manual update thing and now it giving me a window that says insufficient resources exist to complete the requested services. Now it won't even open. I am going to try and figure something out. I know this isn't something you can fix. I am just being complainy because I am sad.  

I believe I've seen that error window before, I think it's supposed to be jp text normally but it displays as random symbols instead. You should probably try reinstalling the game now that your got your antivirus to stop messing with it, just to make sure you actually have all the files correctly in place.

8 minutes ago, TheGhost said:

I am having the same exact error and japanese switch!

If i delete and reinstall the game will ot delete my characters and bank?

no, all data is serverside, you can delete and reinstall the game at everytime

13 hours ago, John Villaluz said:

If anyone's having problems with the launcher not able complete its auto update, Windows Defender might be stopping it (should appear as a notification that Windows Defender is removing the malware).

Sign in to your administrator account

Open up Windows Defender, and go to settings.

Under exclusions, click "Add an exclusion"

Exclude your Ultima PSOBB folder. It's default location after installing it will be in your C: drive.

Now you should be able to use your launcher without being an administrator, but while you're in your admin account, you might as well try using the launcher, then launch the game.

Thank you for the quick fix <3

I did have a momentary issue where my resolution was messed up and the game text was in Japanese. Being the not-so techie guy, I just straight up deleted my Ultima PSO folder (I wonder if I was supposed to use the uninstaller...) then reinstalled, and used the launcher. I guess I got off lucky than some people. Anyone here using the psobb.exe instead of the launcher? I wonder if that might be the issue. If anyone has any other solutions, that'd be great.

Also, what's this pso.dll? What does it do?

• 1 month later...