Name display tweak?

Kikori

It just hit me while browsing around peoples' names and levels in the lobby. It's REALLY hard to see the names and levels of people against a lot of the background objects in the lobby. The green hologram panels around one half of the lobby, the two light green lines of light in the barrier on the other half, the spinning yellow rings of light on the structure across from the lobby changing teleporter, the green outlines left and right of the pillars around the lobby structure... There's not much difference in the colours at work. If I want to make sure I'm seeing who or what I think I'm seeing, I almost always have to move some.

Unless I'm missing somewhere to change name display colours, it's hard to see who's who quickly. Don't suppose it'd be hard to find something that stands out against the light, green tones all around?

• Like 1

Take some pictures in lobby and mess around with the coloring and let us know what you find would be a better color.  Remember that we also have white names most of the time, and blue and red are already taken by GM and Admin respectively.

Names.thumb.png.f60c3c9d119f6c5a22debb096122a37b.png

After a bit of testing and thinking, I decided that two ideas I had are bleh. I wanted a grey, tried it, failed. The lighter sandy brown was tried in its place, still a fail. The others...

Purple- #641964 and #501450
Brown - #C87814 and #964B0F
Green - #009632 (my favourite colour ever, funnily enough) and #006419
Cyan - #00FFFF and #00E1E1
Sandy - #E1BE6E and #C8B464
Red - #FFB4B4 and #FF6464

I personally like the contrast Purple has against the light tone of the area, and I can't think of anywhere it would clash with. Turning the Red up a bit closer to pink like that could undo a fair bit of the problem with most people having color blindness issues starting with red, and it stands out really well otherwise. The cyan is fairly distinct from GM's blue while offering good contrast to most backgrounds. I'd support these easily.
The brown is okay, probably isn't anyone's favourite or first pick. The darker green looks nice against lighter spots, but would probably not go over too well in darker environments. These two seem nice if it were an option to be selected, but probably not forced on everyone.

Curiously, after all the clicking around... must we change from white?

Names.thumb.png.7847a77eac0e9ec643d5a581d48c9f97.png <- Uploaded something before I figured out to try more colours, can't figure out how to delete that. Somehow a smaller picture has a larger file size, too...

Edited by Kikori

14 hours ago, Night said:

i agree too, change green to pink! ;)

15 hours ago, Fyrewolf5 said:

i remember when we had purple names and orange names....

Ok orange will be the next one then.

I'd suggest to take the suggestions in this thread into consideration between the staff :P 
Not saying to not do orange but maybe someone else has good input on this too.

Might be good to finally sync colors of the game with the forum, too.

1 hour ago, Soly said:

Might be good to finally sync colors of the game with the forum, too.

Please.  (Though I think we should move blue to forums.  Purple is hard to read on here (at least for me).

1 minute ago, Lemon said:

Please.  (Though I think we should move blue to forums.  Purple is hard to read on here (at least for me).

That's actually sort of true...

I'll ask Larva, we should be working on some forum stuff soon.

For what it's worth, we've noticed the swap back to white in-game. Thank you. c:

(Please don't make our names white on the forums and chatbox. Worst early/late April Fool's joke ever.)