Hello! New to Ultima!

Zachski

It's been awhile since I played PSO on another server, though I used to play during the Gamecube days.  Those were good times.  I even own Episode 3.

Anyways, I'm "Zachski", though just call me Zach.  I prefer Forces and using Techs over Hunters or Rangers and slashing or shooting everything, though I still do sometimes want to play a Hunter or a Ranger.  Depends on my mood, really.  I'm a bit shy, voice-wise, but as I get used to the people here I'll probably be able to come out of my shell a bit.

When it comes to what I like to discuss - I like talking about pretty much anything regarding video games or tv shows I'm interested in.  That being said, I often play games to get away from politics, so if a political discussion pops up, don't mind me if I decide to jump into a solo room instead of sticking around.  No offense is intended, I just like to minimize my stress levels, and this compromise works out the best for everyone involved.

Looking forward to enjoying this game with all of you :)

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Zachski said:

That being said, I often play games to get away from politics, so if a political discussion pops up, don't mind me if I decide to jump into a solo room instead of sticking around. 

This is why most of us play video games I think:onion-head18: Welcome to the server! See you around.

I must confess to being a little disheartened by something - found a guide for FOs for this game/server and apparently what someone told me about Forces still being able to use techs in endgame was a bit exaggerated (or rather, I misunderstood its tone)

I don't mind FOs being a support class, in all honesty - I mean, heck, that's one of the reasons I like magic users in games, able to both attack and support in ways.  I forgot about Damage Cancel, though, but if nuking is really only useful in Episode 4 Ultimate, and not even anywhere else Ultimate-wise, then I'm probably gonna have a harder time motivating myself to keep playing.  Also, apparently, you're not supposed to make a Force as your first character due to expenses... darn.

The problem is that I don't really wanna play any other character right now.  I know that guides aren't hard-set rules and that you really shouldn't take them as gospel truth but everyone seemed to agree with it so... bleh.  I feel lost X_X

Thank you all for your welcomes, though.  I'll try to find a way to get past my trepidation and get to playing soon.

Edited by Zachski

It may seem disheartening that full black-mage isn't really super useful always, but there's a lot of fun to be had in red-mage styles too, and in lower difficulties or in low player games, or just when messing around with friends it can still be fun to do black mage setups, they just aren't always the ideal for every area. Still nice to run through ep4 and see everything explode multiple times, even though it still takes 3-4 rafoies to kill everything (when it would take 4-5 from a single player alone) from all the damage cancel, it can be good fun regardless. I hope you can find some enjoyment. An option you can do is to play a fonewearl using a lot of Si- techs, along with grants, using a glide divine 00 in teamplay to attack single enemies without just trying to nuke the entire room.

• Thanks 1

FOnewearl does seem to be my best bet because at the very least, if I focus on simple techs, when it comes to party content I can actually focus on an enemy no one is fighting and blast them down without worrying about damage canceling.

My other options are picking FOmar and going full battlemage or picking FOmarl and going cleric-style.

It just seems like FOnewm gets the short end of the stick all around, despite having the playstyle I really wanted to play.

That being said, the guide does still make the assumption that you'll be going as another class and twinking your Force out, which is... iffy for me, because I've never been particularly fond of twinking.  I prefer to either earn or trade for what I need on the character that it's for.  It's a bad habit I've had for a long time now.

Keep in mind too.. it's your experience. If you want to play force no one will stop you and in fact a lot of people play with people that are chill and fun to talk and goof around with. True, force is more supportive at high level ultimate play but it is definitely not useless. Do what is fun for you!

Edited by beezemanjones

You're right, of course.  I'm definitely overthinking this.

Still, I'm gonna rule out FOnewm because I want to do *some* forward thinking, and FOnewm technically has the hardest time doing what needs to be done endgame (not that he can't or isn't good at it, but needs more help doing it).

So now it boils down to "Actual Red Mage" FOmar, "White Mage" FOmarl, and "Black Mage with Healing" FOnewearl.  Which isn't much of a process of elimination, but still, an important decision to make.

EDIT: I decided to go with FOmarl, because I guess the nuking power isn't that much worse than the other Forces, and if I'm gonna be a support/melee class in the end, I may as well fully embrace it.  I've heard that a key piece of equipment for FOmar is bugged, but that post was from 2015 so I don't know if it's been fixed.

Edited by Zachski
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Zachski said:

So now it boils down to "Actual Red Mage" FOmar, "White Mage" FOmarl, and "Black Mage with Healing" FOnewearl.  Which isn't much of a process of elimination, but still, an important decision to make.

Not as much as you think.  They're much more similar than you'd think.  They can all play each of those roles passably.  Though I think your choice of Fomarl was the correct one (i'm biased).

8 hours ago, Zachski said:

I've heard that a key piece of equipment for FOmar is bugged, but that post was from 2015 so I don't know if it's been fixed.

What item?

• Thanks 1

I think it was Godric's Cloak but I'm not sure now.  I can't remember what topic I found it in.

Either way, I went with FOmarl because apparently female specific equipment is just that good.  I also picked Purplenum because apparently that's the best option for Forces on this server.

In all honesty, I'm not really suffering from the lower MST.  In fact, I sort of feel like I'm better balanced because I'm already capable of using a saber to finish off some foes instead of spending even more TP.  I've barely used any fluids whatsoever.  (This is also teaching me to fight smarter, with 1-2 flee instead of 1-2-3, and tricking enemies into attacking thin air so I can get behind them and hit them)

However, I'm terrified of feeding my MAG XD because I don't know what I should go for first.  I already know that this MAG isn't going to be one of the ones I use end-game, I just need something for leveling.  I should look up a basic mind mag for FOmarls.