Jump to content

Hello world! gamecube player here.


Recommended Posts

I can't believe this is still going. My favorite game i played as a kid still has a community keeping it alive, You don't know how ridiculously happy i am.

My old childhood friends and i played this game way too much. But we were young and pretty bad at video games so we never finished it. I still have my GC and a copy (along with my og memory card with my first character!) but my friends and i can rarely meet up at the same place. So being able to play it online together is wonderful.

I'm more of a lurker type so i probably won't be posting on the forums very much, I just wanted to leave this post so i could say thanks to the people who make this possible. My inner-child is ecstatic

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Webweaver, 

You and I are in the same boat.  On a whim I did a google search for Phantasy Star Online thinking I'd revisit some of the cool fan made comics, but what I found instead was a link to an article on PC magazine describing the thriving PSO community.  (here https://goo.gl/ZSKUz8)

After reading it through I followed the bread crumb trail here to Ultima! That was 5 minutes ago, I've since registered for the forum and got my Guildcard and game account verified! 

Just like you I spent my youth along side some pals happily grinding through Boomas and pondering the great secrets of Pioneer I while collecting the mysterious Photon Drops (Never went online with my Gamecube).  

I'm excited to get online and explore the whole other side of the game,

see you out there,

 

The Shoddy Mender     

    

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy to have you both here. You'll find it hard to meet a player that played this version of PSO on this server for their first experience ever. Most of us either played on the GCube, Xbox, or Dreamcast. We are all nostalgic people around hereB) Hope to see you around! If you have any questions PM me or if you need training!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the warm reception, 

Like most of you guys I played episode I and II to death and even though I'm still happy to while away hours grinding on tried and true quests, I have to admit I'm excited for this new (to me) content. 

I might take you up on that training offer once I've got my feet wet (with Booma blood lol) and know what I'm doing behind a mouse + keyboard.  

 

The Shoddy Mender 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey folks

I am exactly the same. Originally a GameCube player, playing with my friends. On and off line.

How I found this was 'cause The wife showed me sword art online last week. It reminded me of playing PSO for hours at a time and how much fun it was. Meeting new people and questing with them.

I signed up last night and hoping to get a couple hours play today. 

 

Pr1merJT (originally Amanojaku on th GC lol)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Pr1merJT,

Seems like PSO really resonated with some people, I can say it's the one GC game I buy when I see it.  I have 3 copies in storage with their receipts tucked in their covers, the first copy being $19.00 or something crazy cheap back in 2003 and the most expensive was at a convention for over $150.00!

Are you going to look into getting your GC onto the Ultima server? 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm also from the GameCube era, wonderful time! Welcome to ultima and enjoy the full online experience, both of you!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ShoddyMender said:

Hey Webweaver, 

You and I are in the same boat.  On a whim I did a google search for Phantasy Star Online thinking I'd revisit some of the cool fan made comics, but what I found instead was a link to an article on PC magazine describing the thriving PSO community.  (here https://goo.gl/ZSKUz8)

After reading it through I followed the bread crumb trail here to Ultima! That was 5 minutes ago, I've since registered for the forum and got my Guildcard and game account verified! 

Just like you I spent my youth along side some pals happily grinding through Boomas and pondering the great secrets of Pioneer I while collecting the mysterious Photon Drops (Never went online with my Gamecube).  

I'm excited to get online and explore the whole other side of the game,

see you out there,

 

The Shoddy Mender     

    

:cr-what: I was quoted in that.

10 hours ago, Webweaver said:

I can't believe this is still going. My favorite game i played as a kid still has a community keeping it alive, You don't know how ridiculously happy i am.

My old childhood friends and i played this game way too much. But we were young and pretty bad at video games so we never finished it. I still have my GC and a copy (along with my og memory card with my first character!) but my friends and i can rarely meet up at the same place. So being able to play it online together is wonderful.

I'm more of a lurker type so i probably won't be posting on the forums very much, I just wanted to leave this post so i could say thanks to the people who make this possible. My inner-child is ecstatic

Welcome to the server! As with everything in life, the more you put in the more you get out.  Enjoy your stay.

4 hours ago, ShoddyMender said:

 

Are you going to look into getting your GC onto the Ultima server? 

 

There are no plans to support Gamecube on this server.  But really, BB has more content and can still be played with a controller.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Also to all the new players, one great thing you can do to get started on this server is:

1.) Be active on the forums. Almost all trading is done here and server events are posted here as well. I also recommend looking into the teams section of the forums and finding one that suits you. Having a team allows for group hunts and don't forget just the help that goes along with it.

2.) When you are online in the actual server go ahead and label your rooms NEW PLAYER. By doing this other more experienced players may join and not only give help, training, and friendship but many will give you decent gear to get started in the first 100 levels. Hope this helps!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, chuk said:

I'm also from the GameCube era, wonderful time! Welcome to ultima and enjoy the full online experience, both of you!

Hey Chuck,

Thanks for the welcome.  I logged into Ultima for the first time last night and immediately was greeted by a higher level player offering to show me the ropes! it was great!  But it being my very first time online I didn't want to party up until I had gotten some bearings.  I wound up poking around trying to figure out how to reach some familiar territory aboard Pioneer II but didn't understand how the Lobbies/Rooms work.  Eventually I turned to the forums and did some searching for "Beginners Guides" and that's when I found what I thought was the answer to all my problems: Chuck's "The ultimate PSO newbguide".

Haha, needless to say it wasn't quite what I expected but provided a good laugh! 

I wound up turning to youtube for the basics and all in all it was a happy first day for me on Ragol ending with a cleared Forest Area and a vanquished Dragon.  

 

 

@Lemon Was a good article for sure! 

@beezemanjones Thanks for the "New Player" tip 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ShoddyMender said:

Hey Chuck,

Thanks for the welcome.  I logged into Ultima for the first time last night and immediately was greeted by a higher level player offering to show me the ropes! it was great!  But it being my very first time online I didn't want to party up until I had gotten some bearings.  I wound up poking around trying to figure out how to reach some familiar territory aboard Pioneer II but didn't understand how the Lobbies/Rooms work.  Eventually I turned to the forums and did some searching for "Beginners Guides" and that's when I found what I thought was the answer to all my problems: Chuck's "The ultimate PSO newbguide".

Haha, needless to say it wasn't quite what I expected but provided a good laugh! 

I wound up turning to youtube for the basics and all in all it was a happy first day for me on Ragol ending with a cleared Forest Area and a vanquished Dragon.  

 

 

@Lemon Was a good article for sure! 

@beezemanjones Thanks for the "New Player" tip 

Ah my good old newb guide, if you read in between the lines and the sarcasm, it actually could provide somewhat useful ;) 

But glad you are getting  help from some Ultima veterans. But be careful not to rush the game. Better level slowly and truly learn the game, than being a high level beginner. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/9/2017 at 1:03 AM, beezemanjones said:

Happy to have you both here. You'll find it hard to meet a player that played this version of PSO on this server for their first experience ever. Most of us either played on the GCube, Xbox, or Dreamcast. We are all nostalgic people around hereB) Hope to see you around! If you have any questions PM me or if you need training!

Funnily enough, I got some friends in to ultima who've never played phantasy star before. One friend and i are making pretty fast progress through normal mode of episode 1. Which compared to how fast i was when i was younger is pretty jarring.

 

(I think it's because my childhood friends and i were scared to death of the hildabears so we always ran all the way back to forest 1 whenever we saw one)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...