Sleep well, DC ver1&2 BWS-1

BWS-1

Today, minutes ago in fact, BWS-1 - or at least, his save-file - failed to save.

It's the first and last time this has happened.

The file is still present, but the soul no longer burns.

Its embers rest cold within the recesses of my first VMU, acquired over 16 years ago.

It caught me off-guard, I didn't expect that this casual Ultimate Forest 1 run would end the adventure for good. I still don't believe it. I feel like an idiot for being at such a loss, I shouldn't have expected the data to remain forever... but it's no way to go. I always thought I'd die before my save-file would fail me. Guess I was wrong?

What bothers me, and it'll sound silly, is that I went on to check if I had reached a level with PSO BB Ultima's BWS-1 that had exceeded DC ver1&2's BWS-1.

DC ver1&2 BWS-1 level: 157
PSO BB Ultima BWS-1 level: 158

Almost feels like the ''old one'' felt like it was no longer needed, that his ''re-created version'' had finally surpassed him. That it could finally cease to be.

It's silly I know, it's just data. And now it's gone. But still, I'll never forget the time spent online throughout the Dreamcast era of Phantasy Star Online.

I'll never delete the data either, and if possible, will take it to my grave*.

*if I ever get a grave that is

Edited by BWS-1
  • Like 4

Silly as it may seem, that's only your brain trying to rationalize things to keep you sane.

The fact it happened a single level above where you were before seems too bizarre to write off as "just a silly thing." What it means, I have no clue. But to say it means nothing would be sillier, IMO.

• Like 1