How to remove some RAcaseal parts.

Junsui

Hello and welcome to this tutorial. I will be going through some easy to understand processes of how one can remove the shoulder, back pads and skirt from the RAcaseal costumes, by deleting certain parts of the costume textures. This is my first tutorial so go easy on me if there are any errors :).

Programmes required: 

Paint.Net - https://www.getpaint.net

Texture Manager - https://psoskins.jimdo.com/tools/ 

Open Texture Manager > File > Load > Go to your ‘Ultima PSOBB directory’ > Data > plFtex.afs (RAcaseal textures)

2.jpg1.jpg

There’s a few ways you can do this tutorial but I think, its best and easiest if you choose your desired character costume as ‘default’ because this will be for what people will see you as. You don’t want to choose something fugly for their eyes but good for yours (when you apply the new modified textures). Might as well kill two gal gryphons with one blue black stone and look good for all. :D

For this tutorial, I will be using textures: 1 – 2 which should cover the back, legs and skirt.

Texture 0 = Front (won’t be using but just highlighting it as such)
Texture 1 = Legs/Back
Texture 2 = Skirt

3.jpg

These textures in that order correspond throughout the RAcaseal texture folder. So just find what costume you want as default by looking at what color it is and change it by using this tutorial. If you are skillful enough you can choose your default costume and import the other RAcaseal textures onto that ‘default class’ and modify it from there. This will allow you to have unique mix of the various RAcaseal's constumes textures available on your character, so enjoy experimenting with that.

Highlight the texture you want, for example Texture 1. Then click Textures > Export DDS > Texture 1

Repeat the same procedure for Texture 2. Texture > Export DDS > Texture 2

*Place your textures in a folder on the Desktop or something. Create an additional folder within that folder and rename it: 'Backup'. You can either copy and paste the 'plFtex.afs' from your Ultima PSOBB folder > data' or the textures you will exporting. This is to back them up in-case you mess up when experimenting.

Load up Paint.net

File > Open > Texture 1

Zoom in by (ctrl + wheel mouse) on Texture 1. Delete this part of the texture by using the rectangle select tool (at the top left hand-corner of the tool box).

4.jpg

Highlight the part as seen in the picture and press delete. Make sure you remove all the parts that connect to that part of the texture. This has deleted the ‘shoulder pads’ on a RAcaseal’s costume as that little rectangle is where the should pads texture for a RAcaseal are located.

Now press Save and go to the drop down menu and choose DXT3 (Explicit Alpha). I’m not that knowledgeable on Alpha’s at all etc but this one just works for this tutorial (I've played around with the other settings and they didn't work, except for the first one too if I remember correctly). If I choose the DXT5 for example and upload the texture into texture manager it will have horizontal lines on the texture and thus not the desired outcome we want. This setting: DXT3 (Explicit Alpha) preserves the transparency when uploaded into texture manager thus in the game also.

5.jpg

Now once saved. Go back to Texture Manager and go to the actual texture of the one you just exported for example Texture 1.

Then press > Texture > Import > DDS > Choose Texture 1. The texture you just imported should of replaced the existing one. The final step is to make it to work in game and this is done by pressing the save button (floppy disk icon) on texture manager.

6.jpg

That’s it for Texture 1.

Now for the back pads and skirt you just repeat the same protocol with a few discrepancies.

Paint.Net > File > Open > Texture 2

Again use the rectangle tool, highlight and delete this part of the texture.

7.jpg8.jpg

This rectangle is the 'back pads' of a RAcaseal costume.

Now repeat the saving steps.

Go back to texture manager > Import > DDS > replace previous texture and hit save.

Now to remove the skirt we have to use Texture 2 again. So at this point feel free to make another copy of texture 2 (the one you modified for the backpads and stick it in that 'backup folder'. Make sure you stick another letter/number in the filename otherwise it'll override the previous one).

Load up Texture 2 into Paint.Net again.

Use the rectangle tool, highlight the area that is shown in the screenshot and hit delete. You have to go like 1 pixal above the texture to get a clean cut in PSOBB, otherwise you'll have some texture illustrating the edges of the 'back pads', even though you're deleting the skirt.

9.jpg10.jpg12.jpg

Save using same settings. 

Go back to texture manager > Import > DDS > replace previous texture and hit save.

Load up PSOBB and select where your 'default costume' is located.

This is the effect I got by using this tutorial and you should expect the same result.

Untitled-3.jpg

For my RAcaseal, I have decided on deleting the shoulder and back pads, whilst I kept the skirt on. You can change colors too by using Paint.Net or Photoshop (but make sure you import the recolored texture back into Paint.Net and save it using the same ways as above. For some reason using the 'alpha settings' in photoshop doesn't work).  You can even import other costume designs into your ‘default’ costume and then play around with the colors, and delete the necessary bits too for your desired outcome.

For me, I took 8/9 costume and imported it into 2/9 (my default selection) and then changed/modified the texture to my liking:

Untitled-3.jpg
14.jpg

This ends the tutorial. I hope it helps and is easy to understand/follow.

Any questions, hit me up below! 

Edited by Junsui
  • Like 7

Your guide is really well made! I like it We need more Texture Guides uploaded to this forum in my opinion

Someday I'll publish mine..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Auli'i said:

Your guide is really well made! I like it We need more Texture Guides uploaded to this forum in my opinion

Someday I'll publish mine..

Heya!

Ahhhh! Thanks for your comment :) Hopefully its quite easy to read and follow, especially for my first one. It was a bit tedious but was fun to make. 

I agree! I bet there is some nice textures and techniques people are holding on too; whilst it should be widely available for others to try out, experiment and maybe improve upon.

Looking forward into seeing yours 'someday' lol :D

:o I was just thinking how ugly those wings were not a week ago! I shall do this today, thanks.

9 hours ago, Junsui said:

Texture 0 = Front (won’t be using but just highlighting it as such)

Texture 0: Front/back

9 hours ago, Junsui said:

Texture 1 = Legs/Back
Texture 2 = Skirt

Texture 1: Arms,hands/legs

Those r the only things u need to change in ur tutorial, but so far it's pretty good^^

• Like 1

being another texture editor myself (I use often custimized to myself huds and mix up area stuff with things I like as I need) I would for most parts flat out avoid using photoshop with reguards of editing a DDS file unless you know exactly how to use the dds tools you need to even use them correctly. Paint.net has a natively used dds support and actually has settings for handling the alpha and even mipmaps if I saw right (most I have worked with hasn't needed me to add mipmaps.) however the others saying where things are is right. best bet if you want to remove anything that you don't like on a char. look into if its done by the game itself. (like the stuff the RAcaseal can have removed) as there will be textures for that color showing alphas of those spots. there are some things you can't alpha change. and some textures can be made HD (bigger) but only if you can handle it. there are other good tools as well on the other site with the texture manager. but some other changes are not as so cut and dry.. I would leave other notes for such but yea..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lemon said:

:o I was just thinking how ugly those wings were not a week ago! I shall do this today, thanks.

Cool! Any problems give me a shout.

5 hours ago, Shiva said:

Texture 0: Front/back

Texture 1: Arms,hands/legs

Those r the only things u need to change in ur tutorial, but so far it's pretty good^^

You might be right with that. I should re-edit my post and check the textures appropriately to clarify it as such. They can get confusing, thanks for that lol. But yeah you don't need to meddle with Texture 0, but with Texture 1 and Texture 2 you do.

I don't have time at the moment but I could personally do the whole lot really to make it easier for people lol... Might do that in a couple of days time.

2 hours ago, Frethia Runo said:

being another texture editor myself (I use often custimized to myself huds and mix up area stuff with things I like as I need) I would for most parts flat out avoid using photoshop with reguards of editing a DDS file unless you know exactly how to use the dds tools you need to even use them correctly. Paint.net has a natively used dds support and actually has settings for handling the alpha and even mipmaps if I saw right (most I have worked with hasn't needed me to add mipmaps.) however the others saying where things are is right. best bet if you want to remove anything that you don't like on a char. look into if its done by the game itself. (like the stuff the RAcaseal can have removed) as there will be textures for that color showing alphas of those spots. there are some things you can't alpha change. and some textures can be made HD (bigger) but only if you can handle it. there are other good tools as well on the other site with the texture manager. but some other changes are not as so cut and dry.. I would leave other notes for such but yea..

Thanks for the information, you experience is very helpful. 

Totally true on the RAcaseal. Since the game already had them removed it was easier for me to identify where to remove them on other RAcaseal textures and if it was possible too. I would actually like to know how to 'HD' textures in this game, and what textures can handle it. I'm not that familiar with the other programmes, but it would be cool for more information to be put down on them :D

12 minutes ago, Junsui said:

Totally true on the RAcaseal. Since the game already had them removed it was easier for me to identify where to remove them on other RAcaseal textures and if it was possible too. I would actually like to know how to 'HD' textures in this game, and what textures can handle it. I'm not that familiar with the other programmes, but it would be cool for more information to be put down on them :D

I can explain to some degree but being I am not an artist myself I am not exactly perfect. but some art like say the faces for the HUnewearl or the like can actually use larger sized photos (ones of the SAME bit rate just larger in scale like minecraft High Def is like going from 16x16 to 256x256). as long as its still the same alignments for the photo (like if its a square it stays square and same positions within the textures for things) you can get more detail into them. good example using Minecraft as a reference. is something like a Photoreal pack (those things come in 512x512) to the typical 16x16 of minecraft. theres far more space in it which lets things look far better as they have more space for the details in the textures. where a typical one wouldn't.. and just for a point of reference.. that 16x16 or 256x256 is pixel count from side to side. not the file type or such (like alpha exclusive or no alpha) purely size

Edited by Frethia Runo
not gonna doublepost

1 hour ago, Junsui said:

Cool! Any problems give me a shout.

You might be right with that. I should re-edit my post and check the textures appropriately to clarify it as such. They can get confusing, thanks for that lol. But yeah you don't need to meddle with Texture 0, but with Texture 1 and Texture 2 you do.

I don't have time at the moment but I could personally do the whole lot really to make it easier for people lol... Might do that in a couple of days time.

Thanks for the information, you experience is very helpful. 

I recommend for really high quality textures, that u export the files as dds (as u did before).

open them up in paint.net (as u did before)

and change the size to 1028x1028.

then use the Sega textures as refference as usual.

and to make it even more easier, Export the body models with Noesis to obj.

load the obj into a 3D Programm like Blender, 3ds max, maya or c4d.

apply the textures on the body obj u just imported.

now u still have the texture 1028x1028 open in paint.net.

edit the file as u want to have it and save. (Don't rename it to make it even faster)

now click into ur 3D Programm And BAMM! The texture should be already apllied.

its an easy way to create ur own skins (maybe the easiest ^^)

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Shiva said:

I recommend for really high quality textures, that u export the files as dds (as u did before).

open them up in paint.net (as u did before)

and change the size to 1028x1028.

then use the Sega textures as refference as usual.

and to make it even more easier, Export the body models with Noesis to obj.

load the obj into a 3D Programm like Blender, 3ds max, maya or c4d.

apply the textures on the body obj u just imported.

now u still have the texture 1028x1028 open in paint.net.

edit the file as u want to have it and save. (Don't rename it to make it even faster)

now click into ur 3D Programm And BAMM! The texture should be already apllied.

its an easy way to create ur own skins (maybe the easiest ^^)

Can you make a guide on how to do this?  I'd love to see it in action.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Lemon said:

Can you make a guide on how to do this?  I'd love to see it in action.

Is this not the guide you want?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Auli'i said:

Is this not the guide you want?

That's only the guide to replace Head models, but yea, there u can see the texture thing I ment too. The video quality is so disgusting bad, i think I need to remake it anyway.

Edited by Shiva

Just now, Shiva said:

That's only the guide to replace Head models. The video quality is so disgusting bad, i think I need to remake it.

Well the process for making them is mostly the same, there's just no specific example for what he wants. But if you know how to do SOMETHING similar, you can probably just apply the steps to another part of the body (assuming said person has common sense/decent problem solving skills)

• Like 1