What's a New Player to do?

Essentially, what goals should you have starting out?
What are some key things to learn?
What are some good milestones?
So on and so forth.

On a side note, how does the single-player 'story' of BlueBurst compare to how things would work if you used the Gamecube version?

1. Grind to Ult as quickly as possible.

2. Joining a team is a good way to get experienced players to help you. 

3. All hail dw

If you need any help with leveling or gear hunting hit me up in game or pm me.

A team? Is that a 'guild' sort of thing like you typically have in other MMO style or large competitive PVP games? 
Or do you mean just randomly hopping into a group and hoping the spot's free? 

Ah, and thank you for the offer, but I'll probably be getting to grips with the controls and general concepts, going slowly at first. Having someone else there would make it too stressful. =P

Edited by Uxie

Just learning the key mechanics is probably what you should do first haha. Learning how to play well with a team with whatever preferred class will go far. Ultimate is the first milestone that you should aim for, then trying getting some good starting gear. After that, you should aim to get your first level 200. 

you must press alt + backspace for a neat trick whenever you about to fight a boss ^^

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

Speaking of fighting bosses, is there any sort of way to avoid taking damage other than 'slowly trundle out of the way and hope you don't get hit' ?
Because I was fighting this dragon, and the tunneling attack felt physically unavoidable because it moved so fast, aimed for you, and the hitbox was massive.

if the dragon goeas underground try to not move and stay close to the wall xD if you move much it gona aim for  you =D or simple try it with other poeple that can support you  

it's not much of a trick, but when it comes to bosses like that(dragon, and griffin) you should try to use the map.  When the dragon goes underground you can still see it on the map.  If you are on the other side of the map, you can easily dodge it by moving away from its line of movement(sometimes it will zig or zag on ya)

Other than that, I think something you should just try to take it easy for a bit and try to make friends.  There are more than enough players willing to help you level up, as long as you are cool you will find many people you can mesh with.

• Like 2

Ohh, I see. I wondered if there was some sort of trick to it.

I won the fight, I *think*. Some sort of death animation played, but I wonder if I died during it somehow because I got kicked back to the MedCenter and didn't seemed to have gained anything for killing it.

The game does feel a bit clunky, but when it comes to combat I actually like that to some extent. It makes it feel... Precise. Almost Dark Souls-ish. 

3 minutes ago, PSOAddict said:

90% of the enemies on this game have avoidable attacks, you gotta learn how each enemy attacks and how to properly dodge/hit to avoid damage

how to avoid ep4 boss spiners bro know?? want to know xD 

Don't worry, I'm nice enough.

Also, is there a way to enlarge the map? I think I remember seeing CTRL+M somewhere, but it didn't work. 

Welcome to ultima, your primary goal should be to have fun. Some key things to learn are :

• How to switch weapons easily, using the quick menu
  • Understanding the power of Shift/Deband and Jellen/Zalure
  • Finding your way in some of the maze-like levels
  • Tekking up your weapons 10% upwards
  • Knowing what kind of MAG you want for your endgame, preferably raise a few MGAs at once so you can train up multiple characters easily
  • Make friends you enjoy playing with on a daily base
  • Read up on guides for classes and which IDs get you the items you want/need

Click on the link in my signature for some good guides and topics to start out with.

As for making the map bigger, there is indeed a shortcut to make it bigger and in the middle of your screen but I forgot said shortcut. I'm sure one of our fellow players knows which buttons to press for it.

• Like 1