Disguised auctions

Hi there, I wanted to make a little point :

• Sell : you set a price, people buy it or not. Eventually if several people want it, you sell it to be highest offer. Generally small/common items are being sold, because most of the time the price is easy to evaluate.
  • Auction : you set a starting price and a countdown, you wait the end of the countdown to take the highest bid. Normally big/rare/valuable items are being auctioned because the price can vary a lot depending on how much people want it. Also those items are often the kind that you can only get during events, or have really high stats, or are just plain hard to hunt : which makes their price even harder to evaluate.
  • Disguised auction :
    • You give a price (or not huhu) then ask for people to pm. You receive a first pm saying I offer "that", then a second offering less than "that", so you answer to this second pm that the price should be at least "that+" in order to win the auction be the one that will get to buy your shit.
    • You ask for offers and getting pm, you don't give any clue of nothing and you expect to have a shiny overpriced offer coming out of nowhere.
    • You try to get the maximum price out of shitty/common items.
    • Generally : you never say anywhere that you're auctioning (can even use the S> in order to disguise even better), but everything in the way you "sell it" looks like an auction, except it's not following the rules

Why am I being a bitch about it ? Because this kind of thing : "So this car is for sale, what do you offer ? Also please don't say it out loud, whispers it so that other people don't have any clue." looks way to shady and it kinda of dissuade me to participate at all. Not even to mention some of those sellers that will just feel offended or leave the PM without saying a word. They ask to offer blindly and when we do, they're not happy. Basically they just want you to offer all you have at once or get out of their way ; no compromise, no haggling.

That's (among other things) why Cyane made a clear topic about auction rules :

Now, that said, am quite sure that most people are not doing it on purpose. Some of them just don't know about the rules, some of them have no manners, and so on. Well, it's not too late to get better at it !

Of course there is no rules preventing someone to be a jerk and saying "am selling it, I told you am just selling it, am just not happy with the current price so I wait for better". People to which I'd answer : "then don't sell it now, wait until you're happy with what people could offer". Or, make it an auction so that people know what to expect. At the end of the day, it's mainly about me not standing this kind of hypocrisy ; but am sure am not the only one in this case =)

Edited by Misombre
  • Like 8

Usually if someone has a sell post and asks me to offer when I ask how much I don't deal with them again haha to hell with that stuff

• Like 1

@rayblasterx No need for popcorn mate, there is no need to elaborate further.

Also am not targeting anyone in particular,  it's been weeks people are doing so ; either because they don't know how to do it properly or don't care about it. This topic is barely a notice to whomever want to sell/auction and stop taking people for morons. We always feel more confortable in a sell when people are crystal clear, are we not ?

So I guess this topic can be closed, if someone has something to say he can still pm me ; no need for drama in such a trivial matter -_-

Don't worry

Edited by Misombre
  • Like 1

Thank you so much for this topic. People do  Disguised auction all the time. It causes:

1) A beginner would offer an over-price for an item after a little misleading private message (I was once a victim).  

2) Difficult to keep track of the current market price if all the deals are done in private messages.

3) The sellers can even manipulate the price by saying someone else willing to pay more (even though there was no other offer).

I fucking hate this. The sad part is these people are often the veteran PSO players. They are already rich and yet still try to rip others off. Such a disgrace. 

• Like 2

This specifically is why DM and DF and PB values are so damn high.

This is pretty damn close to scamming and cheating people out of their items tbh. It's walking that very fine line and its not funny or cool, ruining people's game experience is just not right. Can we make it a rule that if you're going to trade, no more PM's? If you're going to trade, you best be ready to sell or buy or trade IN TOPIC and if you're scared of shady stuff going to happen in your post, then maybe you shouldn't post.

well, even if you put a price on it, if you get like 2 offers, you will take the lower or highter one? because people always try to negociate prices.

its kind of meh this topic

Edited by Ricardo Gomes
  • Like 2

No you don't understand, one of the issue is that people actually don't even negotiate. They expect you to overpay right away and fright away as soon as they're not happy with your offer ; and as such, it can -should- be discussed and haggled.

Of course you'll take the highest offer, who wouldn't ? That's not even close to what I was saying, please don't post until you've read and well understood what's at stake ; off topic is one the first source of drama.

Edited by Misombre
typo

90% of the time when I PM someone asking the price of something, they will reply "offer" even though we both know what the item normally sells for. Then I offer that amount or some amount and they leave the conversation or just say "no thanks" without giving any counter offer or idea of what they actually want for the item. Many people here are not good at selling things or negotiating.

• Like 1

So you want a rule that people can't entertain offers?  That's silly.  This is not a problem, ignore the topics and move on.

• Like 1

No Auroboro, such a rule would do no good at all. PM are needed for the trades anyway, but it's like everything, too much of it kill it.

Also my only concern, hypocrisy apart, is the following : selling and auctioning get confused nowadays and this leads to a lack of information preventing people to participate correctly in the said sell/auction. Not even to mention rip off, though it's part of the whole merchant thing.

Now am totally aware that it is not a big deal (after all, people do what they want at the end), I just wanted to speak my mind about it ; and I did. Now this topic can be closed.