Guide: Using controller to help with dual log

ryukin

There are many people who dual log or have the capability to dual log, but don't know about or how to control two clients at once. I play most games dual logging and am proficient at it in games such as FFXI and PSO. So if you have a controller you are able to control two characters/clients at once. This does NOT work with just keyboard (although you can alt tab, its just not the same as controlling two clients at once). 

Step 1. You need a program such as Xpadder/Joytokey so you can map keyboard shortcuts to your controller. I've personally been using xpadder for 8 years, so i'll be using that in my examples. 

Step 2. Set up xpadder/joytokey to your controller. Mine is set up to look exactly how the xbox 360 controller layout is.

http://imgur.com/a/u2y4N

Step 3. Open PSOBB with controller plugged in and let it get to title screen

Step 4. Unplugg controller, then proceed to open another PSOBB client and let it get to title screen

Step 5. Plug controller back in and log into your two accounts you want to play as

Step 6. Map WSAD to right joy stick

http://imgur.com/a/rHgbw

Step 7. Have the client you unplugged the controller for active. 

Now I personally have the client I had the controller plugged in while starting on the left, and the one where I unplugged for client start on the right. So I will be referencing it in that aspect.

Having the right client active you can now use your right joy stick to move the right client, and left joystick to move the left client. 

Now that's just the very basics of how to control two clients at once just so you can run around both characters at the same time. As you have probably noticed if you play with a controller, there are MANY unused buttons. Using the XBOX360 controller as an example, L2 (left trigger), L3 (pressdown of left joystick), R2 (right trigger), R3 (pressdown of right joystick), 2 keys of directional pad (D-pad), and select. You can map those to do whatever you want. In my examples i'll be using a Force character since that's mainly all I use as my other character. 

http://imgur.com/a/M5xU7

In this picture this is how I have mine personally set up. My L2 (Left trigger) is set to the left arrow on the keyboard, which as you can see is linked to Resta in my action bar. I also have R2 (right trigger) linked toright arrow for zalure. on the directional pads I have left D-pad to 1, which if pressed will cast shifta. If I press right i'll cast deband. I also have select as Shift f1 which gives the command for /lobby. Now these are just what I chose to do, you can do anything you want and put any of the buttons anywhere you want. 

This post is not created to talk about multiplayer vs solo player, or the ups/downs of dual logging. Please refrain from discussing those.

If you have any questions feel free to ask or PM, i'd love to help you out. If you see anything that needs clarification I can also fix that. Thanks for your time. 

Edited by ryukin
  • Like 8

Nice guide dude. Idk but since win updated my controller only move/work in the activated programm x:

If i switch to browser then i cant controll pso anymore x:

Some time ago it worked for each client but now only the activated one x.x

Do you know how i could change that?

The only reason I can think of is you start PSO without your controller plugged in, but that would mean it wouldnt work still when the client is active. I have never encountered this issue in the many years i've done the plugging and unplugging. Maybe you don't have psobb launched as admin? I've only done this on Win7 and Win10, are you using either of those?

2 minutes ago, ryukin said:

The only reason I can think of is you start PSO without your controller plugged in, but that would mean it wouldnt work still when the client is active. I have never encountered this issue in the many years i've done the plugging and unplugging. Maybe you don't have psobb launched as admin? I've only done this on Win7 and Win10, are you using either of those?

nono. i start each pso with contro but it only works on activated window x:

ive launched it as admin but only activated window reacts on the contro x.x

and im on win 10