S>DTS For Gift Cards? The Arising Problem

Zow

Do you think selling PSOBB items for Gift Cards should be against the rules?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think selling PSOBB items for Gift Cards should be against the rules?

• Yes.
    • No.

This is a problem. Isn't a Gift card a means of real world currency?  :onion129:

I thought it was against the rules to trade items/dts for real world money :unt:

I mean I've asked around and Soly said it wasn't. If it were up to me though it would be.

Why? Well because it's detrimental to the server! Think about it... The longer this is accepted, the more money that is not being donated to the server. 

People are even trying to sell DTS for Gift cards! It's getting rediculous if you ask me. Sure, you could say that I am not accepting of this new form of currency

in PSOBB trading. However, I am all for supporting this server, I love Ultima, and I would rather be stingy about what I accept for trades than accept the downfall of the

server. 

This is a thread I made to discuss this issue, no conflict should be started.  Please no flaming or disrespect towards one another.

I just want a general consensus of this ordeal. Thank you.

So what do you think, Is trading PSOBB items for Gift Cards against the rules? Is it not against the rules?

If selling PSO related items for real money is against the rules, then gift cards should not be an exception for it is real money in a way. To my mind, saying otherwise is just playing with words or plain hypocrisie. If the purpose of those rules were to keep the money for the server, then it's clearly leaking if someone sell for Gift cards. But I guess it's more law related... Ultima have no control over Steam/Gift Card/name it ; therefore if something goes wrong, there is no way to ensure your money is safe.

Edited by Misombre
  • Like 1

I think that to allow them is to make it too easy for people to just sell for cash, if everyone became comfortable with it. I mean if I wanted to sell for real money I could just say I wanted steam give the person my steam info, and on steam also tell them hey, I'll do it for 50% less in actual money and then after that there is really nothing the server could do. I am not saying anyone is currently doing this but the possibility is there. I don't even think this should be against the rules period, or against the law, however it is against some foolish kind of law for people to profit from this, and to me it seems trading for anything outside of ultima just draws a really grey line that would make it easier for people to sell for cash without getting banned. I don't know what all is expected of the server staff to deter this kind of thing, however, I would gamble that they know this can be gotten away with.

• Like 1

To be honest, I didn't even know it was against the rules until I was told so today.

I was even told by someone that they had permission from Soly (which lead me to believe it was) - now that's in the past, but for future purposes I certainly won't participate in it.

However, the people who did receive permission from Soly/Larva, I have no problem with them doing it, as it's really none of my business - but it may be hard to know who has and who hasn't received permission.

Myself though, I will never sell off my items unless it's done through this server (I'm too much of a hoarder anyway)
I've also donated money to this server every fortnight roughly since I signed up, so I may sound a little more invested in it than others, so I'm likely not the best person to give an objective opinion on this.

Edited by Arek
Clarification.

In my opinion, trading for anything outside the game, whether it be other items from different games or actually cash in it's various forms, should not be allowed. It's too easy to rip someone off that way and GMs can't do much about it if you get screwed over that way.

You cannot sell items for gift cards, be it paypal or amazon or whatever. Selling items for actual cash is also a bannable offense and should be avoided.
Material things like items on another game, or steam game gift, or things like that are done at your own risk and are outside of ultima's jurisdiction i.e. If anything goes wrong with such a trade you are completely screwed and we cannot help you; such trades are highly discouraged because of this.

• Like 1

This is already locked but to make it clear, the times I have been asked about this, I have always made it clear that as long as no "real money" or similar is directly involved it should be ok.

As others have pointed out, you can then try to turn your new traded stuff (from other game) into money but that's way beyond our control. and it should be up to the other server or entity to watch over their stuff.

I guess is about time to make some clear rules about this.

• Like 5