Forum Structure and Internationalization

Soly

Revamp forum structure and implement translations  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Should we change the forum structure to a more cleaner and smaller one, translating it in the process?

• Yes.
    • No (post why not, if you want).

This poll is closed to new votes

15 minutes ago, Misombre said:

@Soly Pretty sure you gotta translate your proposal into Spanish and Portuguese first if ya want more supporters =)

I already added spanish. I won't add portuguse tho because I don't speak it.

Your plan is flawless imho, I can't see a reason of not moving forward ; if not a certain amount of work for you, of course.

I feel like people who voted "No" are thinking they will be exclusion of non-english speakers or something like that. That's why I asked for your proposal to be translated, in order to get a better understanding. So if someone talk Portuguese and English very well, please translate Soly's proposal. I would do it in French but am pretty sure no one on this side needs it. If am wrong on this, don't hesitate to ask and I'll explain it in French.

3 minutes ago, Kuchi said:

I totally agree with a 'simpler' forum design, don't get me wrong. Easier interface usage, quicker access to information, elegance and softness to the eye. Softer on you guys aswell, I hope. But i'll quote what Triple R said about 'segregation' - that's the exact word to describe what I fear might happen. Everything else is just minor details which I could go on about. (i.e I know a lot of English native speakers who would feel a little bit annoyed by the fact random people came in and started spamming Spanish under their thread, or under an event-related thread). More exposure calls for more tolerance. I'm also pretty sure that even with a global cmode or other group activity topic for gathering players, 95% of spanish peeps will still prefer partying up with spanish players. It avoids awkward moments when someone asks 'hey do you guys want this pd that just dropped?' and the other 3 spanish ppl in the party don't reply. Or things get hairy.

But that's the opposite of what he said, he said " I actually don't like that it's segregated in such a way "... unless I misunderstood.

Sure, some people will dislike having different languages in their topic (spamming might be too heavy) but it already happens, for example here.

One thing that would make this whole change easier is having some tag of which language was the topic posted from, so you could filter for specific language topics if required
This would be a slight complication but for a greater simplification.

7 minutes ago, Misombre said:

Your plan is flawless imho, I can't see a reason of not moving forward ; if not a certain amount of work for you, of course.

I feel like people who voted "No" are thinking they will be exclusion of non-english speakers or something like that. That's why I asked for your proposal to be translated, in order to get a better understanding. So if someone talk Portuguese and English very well, please translate Soly's proposal. I would do it in French but am pretty sure no one on this side needs it. If am wrong on this, don't hesitate to ask and I'll explain it in French.

Indeed, that'd be quite an amount of work, but we already do lots of work for the community, some more can't be that bad.
This one specifically would not be something easy but for example... the forum already has spanish language that you can switch to (I think I enabled it for members), but some things still need to be modified, after that we'd have to get the portuguese, german, french, etc... I didn't add them because I was just testing how it would end up if we used more besides english..

4 minutes ago, Soly said:

But that's the opposite of what he said, he said " I actually don't like that it's segregated in such a way "... unless I misunderstood.

Sorry, you're right, I didn't express myself clearly. What I meant was that I actually think globalizing might lead to segregation, but look I could be totally wrong. I overthink things and that's when I make needless mistakes. I know I am overthinking right now and it's annoying even for me xD Go ahead with the transformation. If necessary you could make some kind of test run like a temporary implementation of the new forum for a few days even without its full development and see how it goes :)

Just now, Kuchi said:

Sorry, you're right, I didn't express myself clearly. What I meant was that I actually think globalizing might lead to segregation, but look I could be totally wrong. I overthink things and that's when I make needless mistakes. I know I am overthinking right now and it's annoying even for me xD Go ahead with the transformation. If necessary you could make some kind of test run like a temporary implementation of the new forum for a few days even without its full development and see how it goes :)

Ah I see, it could cause it or could be just fine, I have yet to see how other forums handle this issue.

Lol... I hear you, I overthink things myself too (like this topic, it has been several weeks since I started with this idea, pondering if its ok, what to do, etc).

Surely, we could add the new sections and leave the old ones there with only access to make replies (this way any discussions going on are not lost), but we don't have any definite action yet. I know Larva doesn't like the idea too much so I've been trying to come up with good points to convince him :P

for me just need to put it smaller and only one or two official language, then, make like others forums, when you enter in a topic, it will automatic send you an alarm if you need a translation of that topic if they detetc that you are not in that language range user. 

like english and of course spanish, since most of GM are spanish users

about portuguese section, as a portuguese i really would like that it stay, but i know that for 90% portuguese and brazilian users, in a multiforum, english is not a problem 

• Like 1

Indeed, letting the browser handle the translations itself is always a possibility. No tags necessary, let's not forget simplicity is the proposed goal.

45 minutes ago, Ricardo Gomes said:

for me just need to put it smaller and only one or two official language, then, make like others forums, when you enter in a topic, it will automatic send you an alarm if you need a translation of that topic if they detetc that you are not in that language range user. 

like english and of course spanish, since most of GM are spanish users

about portuguese section, as a portuguese i really would like that it stay, but i know that for 90% portuguese and brazilian users, in a multiforum, english is not a problem 

That would be good, but I don't know of any plugin or anything that could help with that, I'd have to search.
Although machine translations usually are not good enough, I guess they are a start.

Yeah definitely each user would like to keep their section but at the end, if this goes through there wont be any "language section", maybe only in certain sub forums.

I think we don't need the different language sections which take too much place.

Those are not active enough and when they are, it's usually because of a misplaced english topic ...

And not that useful as only a small part of the community can understand/help/trade with a specific language topic ...

(otherwise we also need a French section xD)

6 hours ago, R-78 said:

I think we don't need the different language sections which take too much place.

Those are not active enough and when they are, it's usually because of a misplaced english topic ...

And not that useful as only a small part of the community can understand/help/trade with a specific language topic ...

(otherwise we also need a French section xD)

It'd true that they aren't used as much as the English, but it isn't true that are only use because of misplace of a topic lol. That's sounded really bad man.

Just now, Soly said:

:onion-head49:

I was under the impression by restructuring you meant making it bigger/smaller, so I said making it smaller would turn these forums into Ephinea forums levels of small lol.

:onion-head23: