4GB RAM patch psobb.exe

Not sure how much RAM this game can address but I was wondering if I could patch the .exe files to allow more RAM.

Is this a 32 bit executable? If so it probably can only use 2GB RAM. Here's a link to the patcher in question.

http://ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php  

• Like 2

No idea what that does but I'm confident in saying it won't do anything for PSO.
Why would you want 4 gigs of ram in pso anyway? .... a patch to make it run in multiple CPUs would be better ;)

With that aside, did you try it? ... 

• Like 1

I haven't yet. I essentially just wanted to put that here just in case I do and it mods the .exe and I get banned lol just a heads up.

What it does it lets the executable address up to (doesn't necessarily address 4GB but it gives the executable the ability) 4GB of RAM on 64 bit platforms. That can smooth out stuttering and make mods run better, especially since I have an AMD APU so the GPU uses onboard RAM as VRAM. I just upgraded the RAM and I have the head room to do this now and I thought it might be worth a go, especially since I plan on mods and a better UI in game.

You wouldn't get banned for something like this, although the game might not be compatible with it sometime in the future (if we were to do integrity checks).

For me pixel fog is the least intensive, good luck with it!

It's not like PSOBB loads extremely high resources/textures. It's as Soly says, the real bottleneck for most players is the CPU as the game itself does not make use of the graphics card very efficiently. I don't even think you would increase the loading time of the area's as some waiting timers are simply hardcoded in the client. Probably to avoid concurrency issues.

• Like 1

Wouldn't make any difference, the game only requires 512MB of RAM....making use of more cores would be interesting though...the game runs the same on my desktop with a SSD as it does on another PC with mechanical HD..not really any good way to increase loading times as chuk said.

Edited by nnorton44

You should be able to increase the core count by setting the processor affinity.

Just because the game only requires 512MB RAM doesn't mean it won't or can't benefit from more RAM being allocated to it, especially for texture mods, which is something I plan on doing.

Don't see the game needing more then 2GB even with texture mods, but yeah you could make the exe large address aware in order to access more than 2GB.

But anyways, the launcher overwrites the patch.

Edited by nnorton44