ReShade for PSOBB (Optional Screen Space Ray Traced Global Illumination)

Since I'm not terribly active over here anymore, my most up to date post is going to be located here: https://www.pioneer2.net/community/threads/reshade-for-psobb-optional-screen-space-ray-traced-global-illumination.16144/

Below in the spoiler tag is the old post in case anybody wants any of the old releases, for whatever reason.

Also if linking to another forum is frowned upon, I can keep the post updated here as well, would obviously prefer to keep things a bit easier for myself though :p

Spoiler

What Is This?
This specifically is a modified ReShade .dll (built on September 29th) that can keep depth buffer access in multiplayer games, along with a couple presets I made. As for what ReShade is generally, it's a post processing injector similar to ENB, except it works generically in just about any game. It can't modify textures or models or otherwise enhance the in-game effects/lighting, but it can add in depth-dependent effects like ambient occlusion or depth of field and otherwise do anything you could do to an image in photoshop.

Why Would I Want It?

Take a look at these image comparisons.
EP2 Ship
VR Spaceship
Jungle
Mountain
Seaside
Seabed Room
Seabed Hallway
EP1 Ship
Forest
Cave
Mines

Alright, I'm Sold, Where's the Download?
Here you go! (For RTGI 0.10, MXAO preset included and set as default since it's free.  Also a low end preset that should work on even integrated graphics).

But there's a catch! While I included presets that work for free, the Global Illumination shader used in the gallery photos is currently in beta and the developer does not want it publicly distributed. For now, if you want access to said shader, you'll need to support the developer on his Patreon, where it is in the $5 tier (I am in no way, shape, or form affiliated with the developer of this shader). Once the shader is finished in development, it will be available for free. As for why you might consider throwing him 5 bones, he's responsible for a ton of quality shaders for ReShade which are absolutely free, such as the great MXAO shader I've used as an alternative until the GI shader is available publicly.

How Do I Install This Thing?
Once you've downloaded the files, extract them to the root of your PSOBB install (where the PSOBB.exe is located).  Boot up the game, and open the ReShade menu by pressing Shift + F1.  At the top of that menu, there will be a selected preset.  Ensure that the correct preset is selected for your needs.

As an added suggestion, go into the control panel for your video card and enable 16x Anisotropic Filtering for the game. Also, you cannot use MSAA or SSAA with this mod. It may simply make the depth effects not work, or it may crash at launch.

How's Performance?
These effects are extremely performance intensive as configured. At 3440x1440, this pushes my RTX 2080 to about 50-55% utilization. If you have a modern mid-range gaming PC and aren't running a 4k monitor this should run fine for you. I can't do a large range of performance testing, so if you have any performance problems please let me know what GPU you have, what resolution, and where you have problems. If anybody has issues on reasonable hardware, I can try to make a more performant preset. Optimization wasn't a concern for me given the age of this game and it having a 30 fps cap.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this! I spent a lot of time tweaking this to my tastes and making sure it didn't look bad in a large variety of scenes. If you give it a download, let me know what you think, and if you make your own preset, I'd love to see some screenshots! Hope you all have a great day!

Troubleshooting

If your game crashes with the mod installed, check to make sure psobb.exe isn't using the compatibility mode for windows xp service pack 2.

If you need more direct help, feel free to add me on discord: Jon#2105

Old Versions

For RTGI 0.9.0.2

For RTGI 0.7

Spoiler

2.0:

Screenshot 1: Before  1.0  2.0

Screenshot 2: Before  1.0  2.0

Screenshot 3: Before  2.0

Screenshot 4: Before  2.0

2.0 (Cinematic):

Screenshot 1

Screenshot 2

Screenshot 3

Screenshot 4

Screenshot 5

Screenshot 6

Screenshot 7

Screenshot 8

So what changed?

I made a whole new preset using the latest version of ReShade (3.2.0) which I cloned off Github and compiled myself to remove the network restriction.  What does this mean for you?  Depth dependent effects such as Depth of Field and Ambient Occlusion will work in this game with the latest version of ReShade, which will perform far better compared to the original version I posted.  I also made use of some new shaders, such as an eye adaptation shader (which you can see in action here), and scrapped my lazy choice for tonemapping in the previous version for a shader that I could customize, which should result in a warmer, more natural look.  I swapped the basic SSAO implementation for MXAO, which is far more accurate and creates less noise in motion.  I also configured god rays, with the goal being a subtle effect on warp gates and the box breaking effect.  This also has a subtle effect on some of the lights in mines that looks really great.  Reflections are also less aggressive, which should result in less reflections off surfaces that don't have any business being reflective (still some oddities, but nothing can be done about that given the limitations of ReShade).

NOTE: Ambient occlusion will still bleed in some scenes (can setup a toggle to turn it off with a key press), and MSAA is unusable unless you use the Performance preset I included.  Additionally, pure white text boxes, like the ones that pop up for numerous quests, are unreadable due to the godrays.  If that's important to you, setup a toggle to disable the preset for those situations, or you can flat out disable godrays from within the bloom shader.  This is no longer an issue as of 2.0.1.

2.0.0: Download

2.0.1: Download (If updating from 2.0.0 to 2.0.1, simply copy Pretty.ini and Performance.ini into the game directory and that's it)

- Slightly reduced bloom intensity.  More detail preservation, more text readability.

(Recommended) 2.0.1 (With Cinematic Presets and Effects): Download

- The goal was to make something with more "edge", and to play around with cinematic effects like depth of field.  I don't recommend the Cinematic preset for gameplay, the UI gets destroyed.  There is a Cinematic (no blur) preset included for regular gameplay.  The goal wasn't to make something "better" than the previous one, just something different.

- Presets are easily swappable in-game, just hit shift + F2 and select which one you want from the drop down menu at the top.

Installation Instructions:

1.) If you are using the previous version, delete it.  Download the new preset.

2.) Extract it to your PSO installation directory.  Should be the folder that contains PsoBB.exe.

3.) Launch the game and hit Shift + F2 and click through the tutorial, selecting the preset you wish to use (try pretty/cinematic, and switch to performance if you get slowdown).

4.) Go to the Settings tab, find the box named "Effect Search Paths" and at the end of that path add "\reshade-shaders\Shaders", then find "Texture Search Paths" and at the end of that path add "\reshade-shaders\Textures".

5.) Stay in the settings tab and locate "Preprocessor Definitions", and in that box find "RESHADE_DEPTH_INPUT_IS_REVERSED" and change the 1 to a 0.

(optional) 6.) If you don't plan to tweak any settings, find "Usage Mode" and switch to "Performance Mode".

7.) Switch to the Home tab and click Reload.

How to Uninstall

Delete the reshade-shaders folder as well as d3d8.dll, d3d9.dll, d3d9.ini, Pretty.ini, Performance.ini, Cinematic.ini, and Cinematic (no blur).ini

Additional Info:

MatsoDOF is fully configured, but off by default in the Pretty preset because of the issues with gameplay.  Feel free to turn it on if you want.

If you want more contrast, enable Curves or tweak the HDR settings.

If you want less contrast and bloom, disable HDR.

If you like Ambient Occlusion but dislike the bleeding in fog, you can setup a toggle key for just that effect.

If the image looks too hazy to you, disable AmbientLight.  If it's still too hazy, disable BloomAndLensFlares.

To fix the white text box issue, disable godrays from the settings for the bloom shader.

1.0 (original post):

Before:

https://abload.de/img/psobb2016-07-1314-26-ybzn2.png

https://abload.de/img/psobb2016-07-1314-25-g1l5v.png

https://abload.de/img/psobb2016-07-1314-24-nlyj8.png

https://abload.de/img/psobb2016-07-1408-18-rvb68.png

After:

https://abload.de/img/psobb2016-07-1314-26-y5z5z.png

https://abload.de/img/psobb2016-07-1314-25-ttxi2.png

https://abload.de/img/psobb2016-07-1314-24-lalx9.png

https://abload.de/img/psobb2016-07-1408-18-n4a40.png

If you are interested, here are the steps:

1.) Choose whether you want to download the full version (shown in screenshots, modern GPU needed) or the lite version (lacks SSAO, identical otherwise).

*SSAO with ReShade bleeds through alpha effects (techs and fog, the latter being the unsightly one).  It's an issue inherent with ReShade.  I set SSAO to toggle on and off with caps lock for areas that it flat out looks bad in.

*The full version does NOT work properly if you are forcing MSAA through the Nvidia/AMD control panel.  If you want MSAA still, use the lite version, and you may want to disable SMAA as well, which is located in the ReShade folder, SweetFX.cfg file).

2.) Extract everything to the root directory of PSO.

You're ready to go!  I'd also like to note that you can push scroll lock to toggle the effects on and off if you'd like to do some before and after comparisons yourself.

If anybody has any requests, I'll consider customizing it a bit for you (or tell you which effects to tweak for your desired change).

Edited by ZabaZu
Brand new preset and upgraded to the latest version of ReShade
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Scorgasmo said:

Pretty sweet.  Are there other things out there like this that improve the graphics?

Well it's hard to do much more than slap post processing effects on the game.  I can't even find an HD texture mod for the game (if you know of one, please share lol).  The game isn't very popular anymore of course, so there probably aren't a lot of presets people have made.  I remember finding some ENB mods a while back, but I thought they looked bad.  If you had an interest, you could play around with the shaders and customize it to look pretty much any way you want.

Short answer: Not really, but it's not hard to customize ReShade.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

daaaaaaaaayuuuum daniel! This is AWESOME!

It's giving so much life to the game! Shadows! So much contrast. i love this stuff! It now feels less cartoony and more like a darker / gritty / realistic sci-fi.

I you.  Is there any way to change that scroll lock key to another one or change the hue (would like to slightly reduce the blue color)? my KB doesn't have scroll lock. If not, that's perfectly fine. The game looks sexy!

my lawd, them reflections doh!

PKiOD13.jpgBKitbra.jpgej1RTiM.jpgUnYg0SM.jpg

On 8/6/2016 at 3:29 AM, Nessly said:

daaaaaaaaayuuuum daniel! This is AWESOME!

It's giving so much life to the game! Shadows! So much contrast. i love this stuff! It now feels less cartoony and more like a darker / gritty / realistic sci-fi.

I you.  Is there any way to change that scroll lock key to another one or change the hue (would like to slightly reduce the blue color)? my KB doesn't have scroll lock. If not, that's perfectly fine. The game looks sexy!

my lawd, them reflections doh!

I'm happy you like it so much.  Yes you can change the toggle key to something else.  I can't remember which config file has it off the top of my head, so I'll find that out for you tomorrow.  I'll also try to remove some blue tint, but it's possible it won't have the desired result in all areas.  We'll see though.

Edited by ZabaZu
removed images
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Nessly said:

(just re-quoting so you'll see the post)

I removed the blue tint.  I don't know if it is the desired result, but it does look nice.  I didn't really test this out in a lot of areas, so it's possible some areas may look funky.

psobb2016-08-0614-18-68o4s.png

Download this file and extract it to the ReShade folder.

As for the toggle key, I don't know which key you want, so I'll tell you how to do it.  In the reshade folder, open up the file called Common.cfg in notepad.  Look for RFX_ToggleKey.  Then, look here to find the virtual key code for the key you'd like.  Copy the hexadecimal value for the corresponding key and replace the text "VK_SCROLL" with it.  Save and exit.  That key should now work as a toggle for the effects.

EDIT:  I ran around in some more areas and I think I prefer the tint removal, so thank you for suggesting it!

Edited by ZabaZu
  • Like 1

ok so ive finally got round to doing this : ) ive followed the steps and when i load in it shows the programs working correctly but it seems to be running slowly and is unplayable, my computer is a quad core over clocked amd with a built in r 7 gpu is this upto the task of running the higher end version ? you also said something about amd catalyst control which i dont use ( i think ) but what happens when that gets involved ? any help would be much appreciated : )

I've just tried it, looks nice but I feel the contrast can result in some very dark areas where you don't see any detail anymore. A good example is the big wall between the 1st and 2nd room with enemies in CCA (with the door on the left). On either side, it is very dark with the mod on. Can this be tweaked or is it just how it is?

Edit: seeing as there are tons of customization options in the sweetfx.cfg (and the other cfg files), I'll probably manage to find something to my liking with a bit of experimenting ...

Edited by El Socko

31 minutes ago, solo guy said:

ok so ive finally got round to doing this : ) ive followed the steps and when i load in it shows the programs working correctly but it seems to be running slowly and is unplayable, my computer is a quad core over clocked amd with a built in r 7 gpu is this upto the task of running the higher end version ? you also said something about amd catalyst control which i dont use ( i think ) but what happens when that gets involved ? any help would be much appreciated : )

If you haven't messed with anything in your driver's control panel, you don't have anything to worry about.  Even though AMDs APUs are good for what they are, they aren't gonna be able to run the higher end version.  It utilizes half of my gtx 1070 in the lobby (a good bit less in other areas), so you need something that can push half the performance of a Titan X for no slowdown.  The ambient occlusion has a major performance hit, so try using the version that has it disabled.  It'll still look pretty good.

30 minutes ago, El Socko said:

I've just tried it, looks nice but I feel the contrast can result in some very dark areas where you don't see any detail anymore. A good example is the big wall between the 1st and 2nd room with enemies in CCA (with the door on the left). On either side, it is very dark with the mod on. Can this be tweaked or is it just how it is?

Edit: seeing as there are tons of customization options in the sweetfx.cfg (and the other cfg files), I'll probably manage to find something to my liking with a bit of experimenting ...

Try tweaking the HDR setting (lower the power from 1.4 to 1.3/1.2).  I'm using a 120 hz monitor, and like most of those monitors, the color reproduction and contrast is absolutely terrible, so it's definitely possible it doesn't look great for you.

Edited by ZabaZu
More specifics

wow lol my computer really is rubbish even with the low end version it runs slow : ( probably wouldn't help but what if i used the boost functions in my gpu settings ? currently just using application settings for my graphics?

1 minute ago, solo guy said:

wow lol my computer really is rubbish even with the low end version it runs slow : ( probably wouldn't help but what if i used the boost functions in my gpu settings ? currently just using application settings for my graphics?

You can also try going into the McFX.cfg file in notepad and disabling RBM (change "USE_RBM 1" to "USE_RBM 0"), as well as going into SweetFX.cfg and disabling SMAA (same instructions, just with SMAA).  That'll disable reflections and anti aliasing.  Any other shaders will require me to rework the entire tone of the mod :P

lol nah im ok , i tried turning on boost which for some reason made the mod work well but when i turn it off it makes my normal game look great but slow like when i used the full version : / confusing times here lol thanks for help ive figured how to get it working but has an unusual side effect lol, one last question though would a gtx750 ti pull the full version ?

4 minutes ago, solo guy said:

lol nah im ok , i tried turning on boost which for some reason made the mod work well but when i turn it off it makes my normal game look great but slow like when i used the full version : / confusing times here lol thanks for help ive figured how to get it working but has an unusual side effect lol, one last question though would a gtx750 ti pull the full version ?

Okay.  If you still have issues, the RBM setting is a major performance hog, probably more than the ambient occlusion.  SMAA is a small hit, but you don't miss out on much at all by disabling it.

22 minutes ago, ZabaZu said:

Try tweaking the HDR setting (lower the power from 1.4 to 1.3/1.2).  I'm using a 120 hz monitor, and like most of those monitors, the color reproduction and contrast is absolutely terrible, so it's definitely possible it doesn't look great for you.

I'm only using a 60 Hz monitor, but I figured out a way to nullify my issue by activating LIFTGAMMAGAIN, currently using (but will still finetune as I go) 1.2 for shadows and 0.95 for highlights.

I've kept HDRPower at 1.4 but lowered radius2 to 0.78 so it won't make the overall graphics so bright.

13 hours ago, ZabaZu said:

I removed the blue tint.  I don't know if it is the desired result, but it does look nice.  I didn't really test this out in a lot of areas, so it's possible some areas may look funky.

psobb2016-08-0614-18-68o4s.png

Download this file and extract it to the ReShade folder.

As for the toggle key, I don't know which key you want, so I'll tell you how to do it.  In the reshade folder, open up the file called Common.cfg in notepad.  Look for RFX_ToggleKey.  Then, look here to find the virtual key code for the key you'd like.  Copy the hexadecimal value for the corresponding key and replace the text "VK_SCROLL" with it.  Save and exit.  That key should now work as a toggle for the effects.

EDIT:  I ran around in some more areas and I think I prefer the tint removal, so thank you for suggesting it!

That hotkey config worked perfectly! I replaced your new SweetFX.cfg w/ the one that was in my reshade folder to reduce the blue tint, but it didn't have any effect (still blue). I'll try tinkering with the settings some tomorrow. It's just a minor preference. OVerall love it still! Thanks again ZabaZu!