Convincing Required

Hello. I've been playing this game on another computer and I love it, runs great and everything. But, I would like to run the computer on my other computer in the house...

The only dilemma is that I don't have admin permissions on this computer, my father does. And every time that the game starts up, it asks for the admin permissions to run the game- even if it's been run as an administrator before.

This lead him to believe it was a virus or contained malware or something (which is obviously not true ;p ) but it made him rather annoyed to need to keep entering for admin permissions over and over. When I told him that there was a potential that it would stop asking if he put it on the antivirus exception list it made him convinced that the game was a virus or that it would allow viruses into our computer.

Are there any ways around the admin permissions (i.e. to make it appear once and then stop) or to convince him that the game isn't a virus?

Thanks.

You could direct him for any of the threads here, or anywhere else about Phantasy star online blue burst servers, most crappy antivirus pick it up as a false positive. 

You can read feedback about those "false positives" on the antivirus websites, (this as example) http://www.avgthreatlabs.com/us-en/virus-and-malware-information/info/win-heur/

if you search for phantasy star, there are a few entries, together with many other "official" games that have the same error (antivirus like AVG freak out all the time)

If added correctly to the exceptions it shouldn't pop up any more warnings too. 

Hello.
First of all, I can assure you and your father the game is safe (as long as you downloaded from our official downloads).
I can't really vouch for the game since I didn't develop it, but the developer was SEGA, that's kinda a big name.
I actively develop the DLL and can vouch for it being safe.

I'll make a client that doesn't request admin rights and put it in the patch along with a new launcher where you can select which one you are going to launch.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cyane said:

Err.... even good antivirus pick up false positives.

Also, adding to the exceptions of the antivirus will NOT skip the Admin rights request approval, that's with UAC and if the account is not admin it might not work.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Congruence said:

Whoa- that would be very helpful. Thanks so much Soly!

Is it just a security thing for it to ask for admin permissions?

I think they made it request admin rights to help the process of updating files.
The game sometimes enters a patch loop trying to update its files and it will say it finished, but the next time will patch again and goes forever until you manually update the files.

That's my guess.

17 minutes ago, Soly said:

I think they made it request admin rights to help the process of updating files.
The game sometimes enters a patch loop trying to update its files and it will say it finished, but the next time will patch again and goes forever until you manually update the files.

That's my guess.

Ah, I see. Well, once again I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks c:

It's already done.

I changed the main executable because there isn't really a need for admin rights on it (and I save some time coding stuff in the launcher).
You should just have to run the launcher and it will download the latest version.

Edited by Soly
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Soly said:

Err.... even good antivirus pick up false positives.

Also, adding to the exceptions of the antivirus will NOT skip the Admin rights request approval, that's with UAC and if the account is not admin it might not work.

Yah like 4 days ago when I booted up the game it had a update and Norton didn't like it at all. deleted everything and made me reboot my pc lol.   Couldnt put back the files Suspicious.cloud 9 it was calling it.  Anyways had to turn off Norton completely reinstall the whole game then add to exceptions.   Today I logged on a small update and cloud 9 popped up again.  Was able to restore the files this time tho and play.