Ultima Summer Event 2016!

Cyane

On 7/1/2016 at 3:56 PM, Ragtag26 said:

would u care to explain how droptables killed the game?

I don't really see how this is relevant to the event, but sure.  When I play pso, I don't think of it as a collection game.  The 'goal' of the game is not to get the best items.  The 'goal' of the game was to kill the boss, playing the best you could with the items you have.  Part of the appeal of phantasy star is that you could have played for thousands of hours and join some hard mode game and see a weapon you'd never seen before.  When people started to compile drop tables, it started making the game more collection based.  Now you see an item you like (if you even bother waiting to see it) and look up exactly what drops it.  Then you go and run the same thing over and over again until you find it.  No surprise, no awe.  It's not special when you find a red box and you know what it is before you teck it.  It's like Christmas when you buy your own presents.

A little more on topic, I kind of understand your complaint.  It does kind of suck that an event is going on and you can't participate since you haven't been around long enough.  We've all been there.  Unfortunately, to make these events interesting, the staff has created custom items for players to get.  In order for them to participate they've made those items very strong, too strong to be dropped in normal-very hard mode.  Almost too strong for ultimate.  These items are hard to make, so the staff can only make perhaps 2-3 of them at any given time.  And in order to effect the largest number of players, they put those items in ultimate mode.

They have had events geared towards low level players.  I still have some reskinned charge arms sitting in my bank that dropped from hard dragon a few months back.

Here's an idea for an event, that they did on another server a while back.  There was a quest that had great drop rates, and people loved to run it.  Forgot what it was.  But it was normally disabled except for Christmas event.  (Another great event idea that everyone can participate in, have quests only for different events).  They said they'd open up that quest for a month if and only if the community could piece together the specials table.  They had scrambled it, so if a weapon said it was Spirit, it might actually have the effect of a Dim weapon.  I'd link the player made table, but it was deleted awhile ago.

That was the kind of event that everyone could participate in, and it actually required everyone to, as some of the lower level players had Dim or Shock weapons already and didn't need to go find them.

Another Idea for an event is to scramble the drop table by location.  So you'd move Yellowbroze Forest drops to Skyly Forest drops, but Yellowbroze Cave drops to Pinkal Cave drops or w/e.  Then the players would have to build a table to show the changes and there'd be some kind of reward at the end, say 5x and Green names for 2 weeks, or 24hr happy hour.  The prize doesn't even have to be announced during the event.(Add to suspense)

I hope this helped clear up some confusion as to what I meant in my last post, and gave the staff a different perspective on why some of the player base plays.

EDIT: Another solution is to have same enemies drop the items on higher rates for lower difficulties.  So if epsilon skyly drops cbattle at 1/400 on ult, it would drop 1/800 on vh, 1/1600 on hard, 1/3200 on normal.  That may or may not work, so testing would have to be done on it first.

Edited by Lemon
  • Like 1

all this reading give me down syndrome...i no everybody try to prove a point along the way...sheeesh... as a adorable racaseal i waited like 3 xmas event b4 i got my dm...playing blind  it normal at ultima not worrying about the drop list...that wen team work n dedication build up...now everything it just giveme..giveme  

1 hour ago, killswitch said:

all this reading give me down syndrome...i no everybody try to prove a point along the way...sheeesh... as a adorable racaseal i waited like 3 xmas event b4 i got my dm...playing blind  it normal at ultima not worrying about the drop list...that wen team work n dedication build up...now everything it just giveme..giveme  

If you knew anything about down syndrome you wouldn't have worded your post differently. Between that and your lack of understandable English, you aren't really expecting to be taken seriously right? People are writing their opinions and thoughts. You're borderline spamming. Please try and be constructive. 

grammar nazi attacking my grammar...im not spamimng..the way i use my word are ment not to offend beyond the point...im not a noobie if u think that by my comment...i help the world to play here...i understand fine here people want change... dont go by attacking my grammar...were not the same 2 people because we know English...if wanna no... there talking about the drop table and the event item...the same topic since 2009... like u say.. People are writing their opinions and thoughts...i didn't disrespect anyone here ...i remember the server couldnt hold more then 60 people...now time changed..

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm is anyone else thinking the drop rate on pbc is a bit steep ? It feels like cent battles an easier drop at the minute with all the people selling , at least with a rate as high it is it should have a banner ? Before this event I was excited about hunting pbc with the old post giving the idea of 1/73 as a close guess and I remember last year there was a lot more pbc's dropping but at 1/8?? , Even during HH it's a tough one . Like soul booster is 1/4?? And makes an item useable by all how is giving pbc twice that rate when only 4 characters can use psycho ravens fair?. For the last week/weeks of event can we have a better rate on pbc please at least make it same as soul booster or better would be nice : )

I already asked larva to reduce the rate but got a nice "no". :/ i saw one drop, i remember last year i had a hard time hunting them and i done almost all event just hunts for that.

Well I can only imagine what price psycho ravens will go upto out of event , they used to be a fairly solid price but with everyone hunting c/b for the big payout not many pbc's have dropped and how come c/b is such a low rate? I assume to counter act it's massive inflation in price before event ? Either way I'm done with this event/server for awhile didn't find anything using all my free time had to buy event items , boring 

@solo guy Don't worry, after summer event I will most likely set up an event with three Psycho Black Crystal as prizes (along with a lot of useful stuff, PDs, DTs). I got lucky on those and want to share it with people =)

Also I don't think that centurion/battle is an easy drop. But like you said yourself, there is just almost everybody hunting it so it is normal that some happened to drop. Poor Epsilons will be completely dry and sad after the event =/

Also thank you Larva for the infos.

Edited by Misombre
  • Like 1