Retro gamers

Misombre

Random list of old games that you may have played  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Have you played those games ?

• Baldur's Gate (the first in 1998 on PC or the second Throne of Bhaal)
    • Warcraft II (Tides of Darkness)
    • Metal Fatigue
    • Final Fantasy VII
    • Heroes of Might and Magic II
    • Stronghold (2001)
    • Legend Of Zelda: Links Awakening
    • Nox (2000)
  2. 2. Nothing in that list :

• This is too retro for me T-T
    • Your taste in video games are meh at best, ***** at worst...
    • I've never ever heard about those games Oo
    • I've seen most of those games but never get to play it.
    • Just, why ?
    • This is not a list of "retro games", get out !
    • Null Vote (doesn't concerne you)

So...

How retro is this community ?

Sure those game are not among the "older" video games, but to be honest I don't care that much about the games I didn't play.

That's why I made up this list of games that I used to play (and still does from to time, like PSO, by nostalgia), and I was wondering how many of you played at the same games.

If you remember about an old game (before 2000) which is not on this list and that you used to love, don't hesitate to share it. This is also the place to ! (I guess ^^)

PS : Do not mind the order of the games in the list, I did it random like. Also, Stronghold was released in 2001 but I don't care for I like this game and it is still pretty old anyway =)

Edited by Misombre
  • Like 2

To me retro is 80s and early 90s European computer games (Speccy, C64, Amiga etc.), but taking into consideration the demographics on this forum, there's no point in listing any of those games.

• Like 1

Oh yes sorry, I guess "retro" means something quite precise normally. I only meant it as "games from my childhood". Or games before 2000 since, Stronghold apart, they are all in this category =)

Also I see the "retro gamers" concept as "old games that you still play by nostalgia".

Edited by Misombre

I tried to vote ff7 but the poll is set up so that I have to answer both questions :"L You need to add a null vote option on the 2nd question I think. Anyway, for me personally anything 6th generation and back is retro. So going by that, I'd list Skies of Arcadia, Grandia 2, Power Stone, Jet Grind Radio, Nights into dreams, Saturn Bomberman, Streets of Rage 2, and any Sonic game from the Genesis to Dreamcast. Yes I was a huuuuuuge Sega fanboy if you couldn't tell :onion86:

Edited by rayblasterx
  • Like 2

Baldur's Gate I and II on PC was THE best. I hate it when people are like oh yea I played it on the PS2... it's not the same game. Not even close -_- But the only games up there I never played were Stronghold and Metal Fatigue :P LoZ is also part of who I am today :D :D

• Like 1

@rayblasterx

Oh thanks for that, didn't realize. It's fixed normally

You're indeed a huge fan =D

@Carsomyr

I'd like to say that Baldur's Gate on PC is better (because it is), but it is too much different to compare anyway ^^

Edited by Misombre

I liked the dark alliance baldurs gate games on the PlayStation 2 the more action based hack and slash was more easy going and even my wife played both games to completion in coop although we weren't married yet (this did help with the decision though : ) ) FF 7 was such a big game and will always be remembered well due to leap in game size it made , I mean from mega drive / snes games to the monster that FF7 was a real great feeling at the time and I was sad after the hundred or so hours I put into when I realised it was over

• Like 1

From Sega Master System till Dreamcast. I've never owned a Nintendo until Gamecube (aside from every Gameboy till DS) and never owned a PS1. but I borrowed the PS and 64 from friends so I didn't miss out on those games.

So what kind of games are we looking at here that haven't been mentioned yet?

Secret of Mana/Seiken Densetsu series
Xenogears

Lufia

Phantasy Star series
Burning Rangers
The House of The Dead/ Virtua Cop
Shenmue

Chrono things
Banjo Kazooie

Alex Kidd
Shin Megami Tensei/Persona
Final Fantasy 8
Rival Schools

Tech Romancer
Crazy Taxi

Guilty Gear

Gauntlet

Golden Axe

Fatal Fury
Final Fight

Art of Fighting

Mystical Ninja
Capcom vs SNK
Darkstalkers

I think I could go on here.

My PC gaming started with nameless indie racers and Diablo 1 and Starcraft. And Blood, before I started playing Quake and the likes. Civ man... Civ.

I have played FF7, but never really liked it, so I've only done one playthrough. FF8 however... Plenty times. Not nearly as much as my tons of Shenmue playthroughs, but still plenty.

Streets of Rage man... I played that all the time with my cousin. I think we've only beaten it once together after many a deaths. I played it again a few years ago on Steam, and it took me just about a moment of my time to beat it. It can make one think, can it not?

That's all I can muster from my memory temple for now. It is quite taxing to do so.

• Like 2

I love retro games and have a pretty big collection. I generally boycott modern games because I love video games too much to support stuff that harms them.

Your list of games is too "western" for me. I grew up with Japanese games like Nintendo and Sega and I still think Japanese games are the most fun, colorful and creative.

• Like 1

Yeah I realize it ^^

I also do play japanese games, but most of them are amateur "rpg maker" ones...

Am not worthy of those beautiful, colorful and fun games anyway =0 (or is that because I boycott them because am still playing my old games ? who knows)

Only one out of the list I vaguely remember playing was Links Awakening. As for games before 2000 the only other I can think of is Pokemon Yellow. I was a little kid back then so had no idea what I was doing really. Never played on Dreamcast, NES etc. unfortunately... just Gameboy's and the N64.

• Like 1

Baldur's gate is one of those games where you feel the need to save before every room ^^

Also, since it's a rpg game where you have choices, it's one of those game where you save regularly in different files to be sure that you will be able to go back if the scenario turns wrong =)

Moreover, it can be quite hard to play, you need to get used to the system and harsh environment.

To be honest, though BG 1 is a classic, BG 2 is quite "better" for it is more playable and allows more grinding (and gosh, you just barely can play Mage in BG1, but it's a real please in BG2). Also, it is unlikely that a mere goblin will kill you in one hit, contrary to BG 1.

• Like 1

D: feeling old here, had like very old games D:

from the old super mario bros to the first 3 sonic games, contra, mappy etc

then had a lil game skip to Crash bandicoot and spyro D: was always a platform lover

• Like 1

D: feeling old here, had like very old games D:

from the old super mario bros to the first 3 sonic games, contra, mappy etc

then had a lil game skip to Crash bandicoot and spyro D: was always a platform lover

nah you aint old : ) i started out on the atari because we found one cheap then onto duck hunt and mario on nes and also alex the kid on master system. platform games used to be the best thing out there and spyro and crash were good examples of the 1st 3d ones also mario 64 was awesome to