Should Larva implement PSO2 style drops along with classic style?

Should Larva Add PSO2 style drops along with Classic?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Should Ultima server implement PSO2 style drops?

• Oh hell ya!! After all would be optional!!!
    • No Just keep it classic style drops only
    • I'm undecided
    • Vote This for the hell of it (Now just Soly)
    • Vote Doge!

@Midori

My guess is not that he said 'No' because he doesn't wish to improve the server (after all, Soly is making all the work on that one if I did understand well), but much more like he doesn't see that it would be an useful enhancement.

Perhaps Larva also fears that this feature would unbalance the game or whatsoever...

Anyway, fear doesn't lead to evolution. If he doesn't even give it a chance, we will never know if that actually can work (kidding, we all know that will work for there is already a good working example on another server T-T Or is that he doesn't want to "copy" this style because of... pride perhaps ?)

Edited by Misombre

If Larva doesn't understand how having an optional individual drop system can improve the game, he needs to have it explained it to him by someone who does. As long as Larva is open minded, it should be possible to get him to understand.

The only reason I can come up with why someone would be against it, would be if they think that PSO should favor solo over multiplayer and they don't care if the majority of players disagree with them. Hopefully Larva doesn't feel this way.

Larva, if you are reading this topic, please post and tell us your thoughts.

If Larva doesn't understand how having an optional individual drop system can improve the game, he needs to have it explained it to him by someone who does. As long as Larva is open minded, it should be possible to get him to understand.

The only reason I can come up with why someone would be against it, would be if they think that PSO should favor solo over multiplayer and they don't care if the majority of players disagree with them. Hopefully Larva doesn't feel this way.

Larva, if you are reading this topic, please post and tell us your thoughts.

Well there's always ways to game a system being developed.

For example, in your regard, killing 16 rappies in WoF with 4 characters (dual logging) would yield 4x the drops. (rather than currently making 4 individual rooms)

This would make collecting material easier. This furthers the purpose of dual logging.

Or------ a solution to this would be for Larva to change the drop table in "PSO2 Style" to simply not drop mats.

There really are a lot of ways to enhance players to work together under PSO2 drop style, he just needs to tweak the new drop table in this regard with an interest in party play in mind, always.

Well there's always ways to game a system being developed.

For example, in your regard, killing 16 rappies in WoF with 4 characters (dual logging) would yield 4x the drops. (rather than currently making 4 individual rooms)

This would make collecting material easier. This furthers the purpose of dual logging.

Or------ a solution to this would be for Larva to change the drop table in "PSO2 Style" to simply not drop mats.

There really are a lot of ways to enhance players to work together under PSO2 drop style, he just needs to tweak the new drop table in this regard with an interest in party play in mind, always.

I'm trying to understand what you mean by having pso2 style simply not drop mats. Right now on ps02 style drops if a mat drops it only goes to one person. the other 3 people would get a trimate,meseta,frame etc. Trying to dual log on multiple accounts on ps02 style how would you get more mats that way? Can someone explain it to me? I feel dumb lol

The only concern I'd have over it is people quad-logging for more drops. Also, making the rate harder as more people join would hurt the point of pso2 drops. It wouldn't want to make me hunt with others any more than I already do. If people really want their drop, they're still going to do it solo or with a friend. Honestly this would only drive Midori's point home of solo play being more favorable over multiplayer, at least with pso2 drops on.

The only concern I'd have over it is people quad-logging for more drops. Also, making the rate harder as more people join would hurt the point of pso2 drops. It wouldn't want to make me hunt with others any more than I already do. If people really want their drop, they're still going to do it solo or with a friend. Honestly this would only drive Midori's point home of solo play being more favorable over multiplayer, at least with pso2 drops on.

Well, if the game still ends up favoring solo over multiplayer, at least we wouldn't have to fight over items when we do play multiplayer.

Allowing multi client support was a bad idea. Limit it to 2, or disable it altogether. The only time we should be allowed to use multiple accounts at once is to transfer items. I've literally farmed about 3000 power mats over the past couple of days because I solo with 6 clients. It's stupid. I want to use one account and play with other people instead.

i think next pool is to designate a new owner of ultima lol

now for real, i dont care about new drop table model, since this is psobb and not pso2, but if the improvements/copy the others servers models will keep ultima stable, im fine with it, i can hunt in any drop model, but i think that what makes ultima diferent from others is getting lost, besides, if all pso serves gets equal in all things, why have a few of them? no choise to play in othes forms.

dont get rage, its just my opinion, and i will respect the way ultima will take, since i will not play in other server anyway

• Like 5

Well.. I do believe it would be a good idea to implement it, there is no need to keep people fighting over the drops.

While reading the parts about multi-logging... came to my mind (and Midori said it too), we can limit the accounts to a maximum of 2, however if there are people playing in the same house well... gg.

And there are ways to go over this but that's not the point

So I guess we could make those 2 changes at the same time and see how it goes?

Lets see what Larva has/wants to say about it.

• Like 4

Or... you can let people multi log as much as they want BUT if they do, only one of their character get a drop. So basically, the guy quadra logging will be considered solo and only the first account logged will see the drop.

Edit : nevermind, I didn't thought about people living in the same house T-T

Edited by Misombre

@Soly

You are right about limiting multi client being a problem for multiple people in the same house. Maybe we could still allow many connections from the same IP address, but just add a rule against one person using multiple clients to farm items faster.

The reason you see "less" people logging on is the lack of an event or minievent, and we only just got rare monsters back on. Really, the numbers on right now are actually what the average has been for a long time. After other server died we got an influx of players, but many are people that play for a month and quit.

As for the drop system, trying to change it is not necessarily going to end up well. Drops per player is a good system when a game is designed for it in the first place, but forcing it into a game which did not already have it is extremely tricky to do without mucking it up badly, it's no simple task; if it's poorly done, it actually makes the chances you'll get an item much harder, alongside many other problems that will crop up (with the ephinea method for example, they greatly alter the amount of regular non-rare drops you find, as well as highly favoring multiclienting to get multiple chances at the a rare; their system favors 'solo'ing with multiple accounts over actual multi).

Some of the major event drop rates (and how short easter event was this year), is more of an issue imo. Most of the major event rates are fine (valentines was very, very generous rates still), but some of them are absurdly high, some of the items are terrible(cough sword of ultima cough stealth sword cough), and some events get repetitive since they don't have many hunt runs or are divided up poorly.

As for the game trying to favor multi or solo, ideally it shouldn't favor either, but literally everything in the game's design screams that it already favors multiplayer over solo. Every week there is another player asking for tips on how they can solo x thing or y thing because it's way too hard for them; soloing things is inherently very difficult and less rewarding (all of the best hunting quests are multi quests that are nearly impossible solo). There is almost nothing more that could have been done to make it favor multi over solo more than it already does. Many people simply aren't willing to put forth anywhere near the amount of effort to do some real hunting. Most people give up on items less than halfway through and like to complain from their armchairs about it, so a lot of times complaints have to be taken with a generous dose of salt.

Well, if the game still ends up favoring solo over multiplayer, at least we wouldn't have to fight over items when we do play multiplayer.

Allowing multi client support was a bad idea. Limit it to 2, or disable it altogether. The only time we should be allowed to use multiple accounts at once is to transfer items. I've literally farmed about 3000 power mats over the past couple of days because I solo with 6 clients. It's stupid. I want to use one account and play with other people instead.

Disabling multi-clienting is out of the question; it's also not a new feature, it's something that has always been around. No one is forcing you to play solo. If you actually believe the game favors solo over multi despite everything in the game design contradicting it, nothing will make you play with others, not even a different drop system. You could go play on ephinea right now with 4 accounts (can even put them all on the same email) and run around with all 4 of them hunting, reaping the rewards of 4x more rare drops and 2x more normal drops than you would get playing with other people multi. It's a little more work to run all characters into the next room, but the extra rewards for it are more than worth the hassle of having to be near the drop, if that's really all you care about.

Edited by Fyrewolf5
  • Like 7

Sounds good to me Soly. Lets see what Larva says.The people that voted undecided because of quad logging can change there vote now. =o)

Well that's 1 of 2 issues that need to be solved still.

The last issue is if larva will make a new drop table for pso2 style and scale down all drop rates by 4. If he does that there is no point in having pso2 style, since there is no benefit for hunting rares together.

An incentive for using pso2 style needs to be achieved. Make super rare drops a little better in pso2 style, like SJS become 1/6,000 if hunting with a party of 4 instead of 1/10,000. Not only would you kill faster (getting more drop chances), but your chances per drop go up too.

It's his decision though, like I say the only solution remaining is to tweak drop tables to favor pso2 style - a style which encourages multiplay.

@FyreWolf5

You seriously think the game favors multiplayer over solo? I have 3000 power mats from soloing with 6 accounts over the past few days. I get 90 luck mats or 12 Glide Divines in a single HH from soloing with 6 accounts. If multiplayer is superior to this, please tell me how. I thought I was making money faster than any other player on the server but according to you, I am better off playing multiplayer and having the other players ninja the items instead. I don't understand.

Even if we ignore the multi client thing, solo still wins. I can solo TTF in about 15 minutes. If I play with others, we will clear in roughly the same time, but my chance at picking up the Red Ring is 1 in 4. How is multiplayer better again? Are you playing the same game as me?

• Like 3