Wine patch for PSOBB on Linux and Mac

1 hour ago, Soly said:

No idea.... the only time I tried the game from a flash drive it was pretty slow.

The message you said ("connecting to the server please wait") is shown when you are receiving your character preview data and other stuff... 
It definitely is not a "loop", so it must be the game running pretty slow on that....

Have you tried in a PC?

Alright, so I tried updating my wine to the latest version, but doing so removed the ability to configure a virtual desktop and I couldn't get it back. The game was running at the menu with no starting lag, which was happening on the older version. It was still doing the endless connection loop after leaving the patch screen even with the new version. Since I was unable to configure anything, I went back to the old version and tries various things. I reinstalled the game, changed permissions for what I could since some wouldn't work, and even tried running the launcher as a .exe and not through wine. Nothing worked. The launcher won't even start using wine. So I'm at a loss here.

I had some stuff about that... but I can't find it...
The only thing I remember is that you had to install winetricks then install net framework from somewhere, I think larva put that in a topic somewhere.

59 minutes ago, Soly said:

I had some stuff about that... but I can't find it...
The only thing I remember is that you had to install winetricks then install net framework from somewhere, I think larva put that in a topic somewhere.

Thanks man, I found the NET Framework 4.5 version on WineHQ and I'm installing it now. I'll report back if it works or doesn't.

Are you running the game using console ? If is please give us a copy paste of what the console is showing also the version of Wine. 

Also did you got any of the games updates with the patch? 

Wine what windows environment you have selected ?   Run command winecfg for this.

Also have you try to run the game from the local harddrive of the Chromebook.?

2 hours ago, Zeromir said:

Damn, even trying to do that whole patch business isn't doing anything worthwhile. I honestly think the game won't run on a chromebook. Ah well, it was worth a try anyways.

1) I was running the game using the wine program loader, not the console. Not sure how to do that in general

2) I wasn't actually able to get the downloaded patch setup, but when I first installed the game and loaded it up, there was indeed a patch that went through

3) I selected windows 7 for the environment

4) I tried running the game from the harddrive, /drive_c/ folder, and the sd card, with no luck and the same results each time: Endless screen telling me it's connecting to the server

Not sure what to do, but I'll gladly follow some instructions if you've got any

8 minutes ago, Zeromir said:

1) I was running the game using the wine program loader, not the console. Not sure how to do that in general

2) I wasn't actually able to get the downloaded patch setup, but when I first installed the game and loaded it up, there was indeed a patch that went through

3) I selected windows 7 for the environment

4) I tried running the game from the harddrive, /drive_c/ folder, and the sd card, with no luck and the same results each time: Endless screen telling me it's connecting to the server

Not sure what to do, but I'll gladly follow some instructions if you've got any

have you tryed my wine ? and way of doing things ?

also try reinstalling it sometimes a new install helps rather then just coppying one that works out of windows in pasting it in linux's wine folder

in terminal type

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 

hit enter and so on after each one if your new to linux

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wine/wine-builds

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-devel

after this you simply download vlc or winzip for windows launch it useing wine it will update this happens twice as i recall after it should run

go to your hard drive the Home part use ctrl + h to see hidden files open .wine

in .wine open drive_c

you should now see the psobb folder open it and right click on option.exe or online.exe and run it with wine  

set settings and then run it  should work shouldn't crash till you get to ship select if that happens im not sure i should try sharing my files

if  you have problems it will be on the way to selecting ships

If you can pick the ship your in ^^ ill try to look in to see if i can help more i hope this works this is the build i used

Edited by Samuel Oyler
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zeromir said:

That's how I used to get it running, honestly, and I thought there another post here saying it wasn't necessary anymore. Ah well, I'll get on it. Thanks man, I'll let you know how it goes

ya there was look for it see if his answer works at all for you Im useing linux mint 17.3 dont use the latest to meny bugs

try coppying a folder that it worked from as well sometimes it helps linux is picky about psobb

Edited by Samuel Oyler

13 minutes ago, Samuel Oyler said:

ya there was look for it see if his answer works at all for you Im useing linux mint 17.3 dont use the latest to meny bugs

try coppying a folder that it worked from as well sometimes it helps linux is picky about psobb

Alright, followed your steps, and I got the game installed. However, I lost the configure wine function and the program loader after installing the devel kit, and now the game won't load up. Not sure how to get it back, honestly.