Wine patch for PSOBB on Linux and Mac

Hot damn, I haven't seen a reply to this thread in ages. But hey, I'm gonna contribute to it as well with a question. 

I want to get the game running on linux, which I have successfully done before using wine. However, the laptop I was using shat itself, and now it won't work. My only other laptop is a toshiba chromebook. Will PSOBB run well on it? I can get games like Binding of Isaac to run as long as I turn off V-sync or whatever it was that I turned off, and PSO isn't that intensive. But will it run?

39 minutes ago, Zeromir said:

Hot damn, I haven't seen a reply to this thread in ages. But hey, I'm gonna contribute to it as well with a question. 

I want to get the game running on linux, which I have successfully done before using wine. However, the laptop I was using shat itself, and now it won't work. My only other laptop is a toshiba chromebook. Will PSOBB run well on it? I can get games like Binding of Isaac to run as long as I turn off V-sync or whatever it was that I turned off, and PSO isn't that intensive. But will it run?

Well the most important thing to look at would be the processor, which is listed as Intel Celeron Processor N2840 on the link you posted. That *should* be good enough to run the game without any major issues from what I can see (it's listed at 2.17GHz normally and capable to overclock to 2.58).

28 minutes ago, Fyrewolf5 said:

Well the most important thing to look at would be the processor, which is listed as Intel Celeron Processor N2840 on the link you posted. That *should* be good enough to run the game without any major issues from what I can see (it's listed at 2.17GHz normally and capable to overclock to 2.58).

Sweet! I'm terrible at comparing processors to what is required for games that either run on emulator or are updated ports of older games, so I appreciate the help. I'll get to following the Linux instructions when I can, and hopefully, I can have PSO on the go.

You should no longer need this patch if you have a recent build of Wine, just fyi. They recently merged a fix for League of Legends that fixes the same issue for PSO. May take a while to reach distro repos, but on Ubuntu if you're using their dev release ppa you should be good.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Zeromir said:

Quick question, to finalize everything for myself, how large is the game when fully installed? I've never taken a look, but I'm assuming it would be less than 3gb considering its age.

Yea it's only a little more than half of that, though taking screenshots will take up extra space over time.

3 minutes ago, Fyrewolf5 said:

Yea it's only a little more than half of that, though taking screenshots will take up extra space over time.

Thanks man. Got everything installed on a 4gb SD card, so I can take it with me on the go, no matter what computer I use so long as it has a slot.

So I can get PSO to load up, get past the patch screen yadda yadda but as soon as I start connecting to the server, it becomes locked in a loop of connecting. 

Could this be a side effect of the fact that the launcher won't load for me in wine and I have to start the game from the .exe, or is this something else?

I don't think it has to do with the Launcher not starting (although you will be missing certain stuff because of that).

What do you mean exactly with loop of connecting?
Right after you are done with the updates, when selecting the character, selecting the ship?

Just now, Soly said:

I don't think it has to do with the Launcher not starting (although you will be missing certain stuff because of that).

What do you mean exactly with loop of connecting?
Right after you are done with the updates, when selecting the character, selecting the ship?

Right after I press start game, and I get the patch screen and press enter. It just never stops trying to connect. I assumed it was a network problem, since there was an issue with my network, but even after fixing the network it was still endlessly trying to connect.

Nope, it doesn't say anything like that. It just never ends or says anything else other than "Connecting to server, please wait". 

...However, I did install the game onto an SD card. Could that be the problem? I mean, I figure that if it was then it wouldn't even start up in the first place, right?

No idea.... the only time I tried the game from a flash drive it was pretty slow.

The message you said ("connecting to the server please wait") is shown when you are receiving your character preview data and other stuff... 
It definitely is not a "loop", so it must be the game running pretty slow on that....

Have you tried in a PC?