Dreamcast nostalgia, now with added responsibility!

Enrique Velez

I got PSO V2 on the DC as a gift many years ago, but I didn't have a credit card, so I called it "Phantasy Star Offline". I spent months grinding through the main campaign as a pudgy RAcast, but I simply couldn't beat the game meant for four players. To this day this remains one of my favorite games, and I never got to fully experience it.

I was reminiscing the other day, and a few google searches brought me here and I'm so happy! Now I have some questions I'm hoping you can answer.

• Do you think this game can be played casually? I have a job and a family now, I can't devote so much energy to it. I'm talking go in, fight for a while, sell loot, keep what looks best, feed the mag whatever seems to be working, and sign off. Do you think this will sincerely affect the endghame results? Will I end up with a broken character, or only a slight disadvantage, if I use common sense instead of a step-by-step walk-through?
  • If not, could you recommend a good guide? I searched for a while and there's a lot, and there are many PSO versions out now...
  • What's a good place to start for a Lv 1 character? I noticed many guild missionjs have been added, and I'm not sure in which order I should tackle them.
  • Is voice chat strictly necessary? I'd rather use the in-game comms.
  • Any advice for a DC veteran from more than 10 years ago?

Thanks!

• Like 2

It can be casual if you want. While leveling you'll find rares and meet new people along the way. Once you've leveled your character enough you could hunt the rarer things every once and a while when you have the time. My in game name is Mayn. If I see you online I'll help you level.

Edited by mayn102

on a level 1 you can go on episode 1 for levels 1 - 100(towards the future maybe) up to ultimate difficulty setting, then episode 2 for 100 - 200 (respective tomorrow) unless you are planning to hunt things along they way while leveling. if you plan on using rangers... i would recommend the following items a spread needle, cannon rouge and frozen shooter for your starting weapons... there are also thing you may want to consider like make an oran for obtaining hp materials and greenil for power materials and luck materials... if you make a room for ttf maybe someone will join... well eventually someone will help you out...

happy gaming i hope you enjoy your stay...

- yes, absolutely. experience is 3x normal, drop rates are increased, and happy hours increase those drop rates even further. i'm a full-time student in a difficult major, a terrible class schedule, and a girlfriend and in the past 2.5 months since i started here i've gotten 5 characters into ult and have plenty of decent gear. materials can be reset and section ids can be changed for a reasonable cost so there's really no way to permanently gimp your character

- see above

- anywhere you want. doing all of the forest government quests (1-x) in multi mode and then all of the forest single player quests, followed by caves, mines, and ruins wouldn't be a terrible way to go about it. i personally just powerlevel new characters anymore

- nope, voice chat is not at all necessary.

- here's links that i find useful:

drop charts (note the link on that page to quest rewards) - http://www.phantasystaronline.net/droptable.php#2UltimateViridia

quest enemy counts (where to find a certain enemy for hunting items) - http://www.phantasystaronline.net/forum/index.php/topic/6440-enemy-counts/

ultima items (new items and some changes to existing items) - http://www.phantasystaronline.net/forum/index.php?/topic/10353-psobb-item-effect-ie/

max stats thread for planning materials and mags, etc (note that max character stats have been increased on this server) - http://www.phantasystaronline.net/forum/index.php/topic/21971-official-max-stats-plan-thread/

server commands (several VERY useful ones) - http://www.phantasystaronline.net/forum/index.php?/topic/70-commands-in-game/

Edited by mcxvi
  • Like 1

its fine... i mean for the other slots atleast consider those two so you wont spend those pd's on buying materials... plus its easy to get materials when rare mobs is on... red is a good id too so you'll be fine it drops needle's as well on bringers i think.

Redria's also good for farming addslots in episode 2 on normal as well from rare hildebears in the temple as well if you need some additional slots for units in your armors! You can also farm rare dorphons in episode 4 on normal so you can get Photon Crystals to get some blank stat rare starter weapons really easily from Black Paper Deal 1 and 2 quests in solo mode. The best way to do this is to do the online quest "MA4DMD" and kill the Dorphon Eclair that spawns in the 4th wave at the beginning and leave after you kill and loot the crystal (If it drops, its like a 1/3 ish chance or nearly guaranteed if Happy Hours are in effect) You can keep what you need from there like spread needles or frozen shooters from there and sell off anything else you get from there for a Photon Drop or two if you plan to do some marketing as well! BPD quests are great for getting your beginning rare gears!