So, you want to make ogg loops!?

Mist

Man, I've been a corpse in this place for quite sometime.

Nice to see, even if it's distant, that people are still making use of this guide. :D

I still do this on a regular basis for my own entertainment, so if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask me. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have a question about the normal/battle phase of the stage music. So with the regular tracks like Forest or Cave it has a non-battle phase and transitions to a battle phase for the music. Let's say I wanted to use this track for Chaos Legion 

which also similarly has a normal and battle phase(it is near the end of the track). Is it possible to have this track transition between non-battle/battle phases using Audacity? 

16 hours ago, DagenX said:

I have a question about the normal/battle phase of the stage music. So with the regular tracks like Forest or Cave it has a non-battle phase and transitions to a battle phase for the music. Let's say I wanted to use this track for Chaos Legion 

which also similarly has a normal and battle phase(it is near the end of the track). Is it possible to have this track transition between non-battle/battle phases using Audacity? 

Since you linked a whole playlist I'm not sure which track you mean from it (didn't hear a battle phase at end of first track that played). But anyways, the general answer is both yes and no. It is technically possible, but it's going to be a lot more effort and probably not sound very good. The dynamic music in pso is specifically written for the game so that it can transition at pretty much any point in the song and not just at a specific spot.
The way it's set up is that the files are Multi-Stream OGGs, with a whole mess of small streams so it can transition wherever. Both Forest and Caves are 62 streams of ~5seconds each, with 1-25 exploring, 26-31 exploring>fighting, 32-56 fighting, 57-62 fighting>exploring. It is possible to do multi-stream oggs and replace them and the music will be dynamic, but it's highly likely that the song will be a bit choppy when transitions happen, since most songs simply will not be able to transition smoothly like the default music does. I've only tried a few times to do dynamic music, it's tricky to get right. The best types of dynamic music to use for replacement would probably be something that does its dynamic switching through layering more instruments onto their song (exploring being a basic melody, the fighting adds in the percussion and other instruments on top of the existing music but doesn't alter the melody itself), which is a more common way to make dynamic music in games.
You could always do the easy thing, just make a single stream loop that includes both regular and battle phase of the song and forget about dynamic changing. If you do want to try doing it dynamically, there is a guide for how to do it (https://oggsource.wordpress.com/), just don't expect it to turn out smoothly.

18 hours ago, Fyrewolf5 said:

Since you linked a whole playlist I'm not sure which track you mean from it (didn't hear a battle phase at end of first track that played). But anyways, the general answer is both yes and no. It is technically possible, but it's going to be a lot more effort and probably not sound very good. The dynamic music in pso is specifically written for the game so that it can transition at pretty much any point in the song and not just at a specific spot.
The way it's set up is that the files are Multi-Stream OGGs, with a whole mess of small streams so it can transition wherever. Both Forest and Caves are 62 streams of ~5seconds each, with 1-25 exploring, 26-31 exploring>fighting, 32-56 fighting, 57-62 fighting>exploring. It is possible to do multi-stream oggs and replace them and the music will be dynamic, but it's highly likely that the song will be a bit choppy when transitions happen, since most songs simply will not be able to transition smoothly like the default music does. I've only tried a few times to do dynamic music, it's tricky to get right. The best types of dynamic music to use for replacement would probably be something that does its dynamic switching through layering more instruments onto their song (exploring being a basic melody, the fighting adds in the percussion and other instruments on top of the existing music but doesn't alter the melody itself), which is a more common way to make dynamic music in games.
You could always do the easy thing, just make a single stream loop that includes both regular and battle phase of the song and forget about dynamic changing. If you do want to try doing it dynamically, there is a guide for how to do it (https://oggsource.wordpress.com/), just don't expect it to turn out smoothly.

Oh damn. I didn't know it was the whole playlist. Here is the actual song 

, but judging by what you've said above trying to make it or another other songs dynamic would prove too difficult. I've started looping tracks the regular way and even that can prove troublesome. Thanks anyway though, maybe one day I'll try the multi-stream method.

• 1 year later...

Hey all! I see that tinypic has given up on the images that I used for the tutorial.

Very soon I'll have new images worked up and uploaded with a different link, so don't fret if the lack of imagery confuses you.