PSO Mechanics

Saber +7

I take zero credit for any of this work, all I did was reformat it to fit in our forum. :) If you are one of the players who contributed to it then sweet and please say so, so I can give you credit... The majority of this data is from psoworld, schterserv forums and zetaboards. I made this thread because someone pointed out to me that Schtack forums might now be around much longer and most of the info is from there so yeah :P. Also if you feel that there is a mechanic that is not covered then post it here and I can add it. This is meant more for the preservation of knowledge of the game rather than actual use.

Due note that any of the calculations with evp you need to add 30% because we have buffed monsters, also there is a stat that many might be not be familiar with in here ESP(not even I knew what it was ;)) all it is is resistance to special attacks.

Differences between V501 and V502, special reduction, etc.

This information has been tested and is absolute.

Evp, ESP, and EDK:

Episode 1

Forest

Cave

Mine

Ruin

Episode 2

VR Temple

VR Spaceship

Central Control Area

Note: Mericarol ESP is 50, Sinow Spigell EDK is 80, corrections to the psoworld chart.

Seabed

Episode 4

Crater

Desert

1. You need to know if you can hit the target.

(ATA x 5) - (Enemy EVP) / 5= Base ATA Calculator

Confusion, Paraylsis and Shock don't lower EVP only having the status effect of being frozen lowers EVP.

2. You need to have the special activate once you hit.

Special attacked based on enemy EDK.

(Activation Rate - Enemy EDK) / Reduction

Instant Death

-Dim 48%

-Shadow 66%

-Dark 78%

-Hell 93%

-Megid

Special attack based on enemy ESP(Confusion, Freezing, Paralysis)

For Android 30% bonus activation on ESP based specials in Ultimate.

[Android Boost(30%) + Activation Rate - Enemy ESP] / Reduction

Confusion

Confuse an enemy to have it attack the nearest target, 8 seconds in effect and it stacks over itself.

-Panic 29%

-Riot 44%

-Havoc 60%

-Chaos 76%

Freezing

Freeze an enemy to lower his EVP, 4 seconds in effect and does not stack.

-Ice 32%

-Frost 48%

-Freeze 64%

-Blizzard 80%

Paralysis

Paralyze an enemy to stop his movement, 6 seconds in effect and it stacks over itself.

-Bind 32%

-Hold 48%

-Seize 64%

-Arrest 80%

This multiplier must be added at the end of the formula after reduction.

V501

Instantaneous death 1.5x

Confusion, freezing, paralysis 1.5x

V502

Instantaneous death 2x

Confusion, freezing, paralysis 1.5x

Reduction

Mechs, Shots and Slicers suffer 1/3 reduction.

Partisans, Swords, Daggers, Double Sabers, Twin Swords and Launchers suffer 1/2 reduction.

It is generally assumed weapons with a rarity value of 10 or higher do not suffer reduction.

Single target weapons and S-Rank weapons do not suffer reduction.

Reduction for special attack based on ESP and EDK is applied for the success rate of the special.

Reduction for special attack with set activation rate decrease the power of its effect.

"Demons"

Reduces enemy HP

-Devil's 1/2 / Reduction

-Demon's 3/4 / Reduction

For Android: Devil's and Demon's reduce enemy HP by only 25% and 45% respectively, instead of by 50% and 75% respectively (only in Ultimate).

Note: If HP cannot divide more (1HP), this special attack will kill the enemy instead.

All special attack activations are set to 100% except those mentioned above(confuse, ice, paralysis, hell and demon series).

Steal HP (of max enemy HP)

-Draw 5% / Reduction

-Drain 9% / Reduction

-Fill 13% / Reduction

-Gush: 17% / Reduction

Max cap 120 HP

Refills TP (of your maximum TP)

-Heart 3% / Reduction

-Mind 4% / Reduction

-Soul 5% / Reduction

-Geist 6% / Reduction

Max cap 100 TP

Steals EXP (of monster total EXP)

-Master's 8% / Reduction

-Lord's 10% / Reduction

-King's 12% / reduction

Max cap 80 XP (30% android boost Ultimate)

Fire damage

[(Character Lv - 1) / ? + ??] = Base Damage

Base Damage x [1 - (Enemy EFR x .01] = Damage to Enemy

-Heat / 4 + 40

-Fire / 3 + 60

-Flame / 2 + 80

-Burning/ 0 + 100

Lightning damage

[(Character Lv - 1) / ? + ??] = Base Damage

Base Damage x [1 - (Enemy ETH x .01] = Damage to Enemy

-Shock / 4 + 40

-Thunder / 3 + 60

-Storm / 2 + 80

-Tempest / 0 + 100

Sacrificial Attack

-Charge 200 Meseta, except the Vjaya which costs 10,000 Meseta but does 3x damage rather than 2x.

-Spirit 20% TP remaining, special isnt infinite

Will stop working once TP reach minimal value.

-Berserk 25% HP remaining, special is infinite

Will stop working if HP value go under 3.

Weapons with special attack that have the accuracy of a strong attack(which increase your PB).

-Vjaya

-Windmill

-Frozen Shooter

-Snow Queen

Weapons with special attack using photon meter based energy wave(never miss).

- Berdysh(360 degree radius effect with low range, damage of weak attack)

- Tsumikiri-J-Sword(360 degree radius effect with long range, damage of hard attack)

Weapons with special attack based on magic(never miss).

-Caduceus(Foie)

-Hildebear's Cane(Foie)

-Technical Crozier(Barta)

-Magical Piece(Zonde)

-Psycho Wand(Foie, Barta, Zonde)

-Twin Blaze(Gifoie)

-Hildeblue's Cane(Gibarta)

-Sight of a God(Gizonde)

-Maser Beam & Power Maser (Gizonde)

-Soul Banish(Megid)

-Heaven Punisher(Grants) can get up to 12 target

-S-Rank Zalure, Jellen

Explanation, detail and various example for the activation of special attacks in ultimate mode.

-Hell: Mostly useful in Ep2, also work good against satellite lizard in Ep4.

93% (Hell) - 59 EDK (Morfos) = 34 x 2 (V502) = 68%

With a V502, monster such as Morfos have a high chance of instant death when hit.

Ranger class can kill very fast when they make an efficient use of this special attack.

Epsilons are the only enemy immune to all status effects.

-Confuse: All enemies can be confused except mini-boss(Gibbles, Gi-Gue, Mericarol series).

(Chaos)

76 - 10ESP = 66 x 1.5 = 99%

76 - 30ESP = 46 x 1.5 = 69%

Im taking example on Bartle and Del-D(Ruin) ESP value.

Basically from this statement, any grunt enemy will have a very good chance to be confused by a non-droid using chaos.

-Blizzard: All enemies can be frozen except Dorphon(Eclair) and Girtablulu.

Blizzards formula is actually a little different from the others because it is checked by ESP and EIC so we actually don't know it althought I assume it is something like

80 - (ESP+EIC) = ?? x 1.5 however I am not sure just sorta a guess

-Arrest: All enemies can be paralyzed except machine.

30 + 80 - 100 ESP = 10 x 1.5 = 15%

Im taking example on Gibbles, Gi-Gue, Mericus and Merikle ESP value.

Basically from this statement, any other enemy will have a higher chance to get paralyzed with the same special used.

Non-droid vs droid special efficiency in Ultimate.

Delbiter 90 ESP

Non-droid using arrest (80%) cant overcome it so its a constant 0%

Droid using arrest (30% boost) + 80 - 90 = 20 x 1.5 = 30%

Dark Bringer 65 ESP

Non-droid using arrest 80 - 65 = 15 x 1.5 = 23%

Droid using seize 30 + 64 - 65 = 29 x 1.5 = 44%

Droid using arrest 30 + 80 - 65 = 45 x 1.5 = 68%

Ill Gill 50 ESP

Non-droid using seize 64 - 50 = 14 x 1.5 = 21%

Non-droid using arrest 80 - 50 = 30 x 1.5 = 45%

Droid using seize 30 + 64 - 50 = 44 x 1.5 = 66%

Droid using arrest 30 + 80 - 50 = 60 x 1.5 = 90%

Barble 10 ESP Del-D 30 ESP

Non-droid using seize 64 - 10 = 54 x 1.5 = 81%

Non-droid using arrest 80 - 30 = 50 x 1.5 = 75%

Droid using seize 30 + 64 - 30 = 64 x 1.5 = 96%

V801 Explained

V801 makes your character cast techniques faster. If you can get by without using it, then don't use it. If you want to cast your techs faster than a FO who does not use it, then you'll have to equip it. That is all you truly need to know.

For everyone else who cannot simply take the above for granted, the concept is so basic, yet it is so hard for people to understand, so I will try my best given the fact that not every knows (or cares) how it works, and would like to find a median at which the two poles can coexist peacefully. I'll start with a few basic principles that should be well-known, but need to be restated in order to have them working in your memory.

Different weapons, while equipped, have different animations when casting techniques. These animations have different lengths. Barehanded casting is also an animation, and it is separate from the Knuckle animation in terms of frame length (it is shorter than the Knuckle animation. Shorter = Less Time = Faster). It just happens to be that bare hand casting uses the shortest animation of all equipment animations.

Different techniques have different casting speeds, although the animation is the same for each. For example, Resta and Gizonde are very fast, while Gifoie and Gibarta are very slow.

Higher level techniques shorten the frame length of the casting animation, and it is significant with each Tech level that there is a difference between every single Tech Level in terms of casting speed. Meaning, that Lv29 techs will cast slower than Lv30 of the same tech. If someone would like to tell me by exactly how much each tech level speeds up each tech, please do so, because I would like to know, although it does not directly affect my argument.

V801 decreases the casting animation of techniques. Since we know that it make more of an impact on lower-level techniques, it is quite safe to say that it is simply a reduction of the frame length by a percentage. This is to say that it decreases each technique's casting time by the same percentage, but not the same amount. Also, this means that it will always make a difference. However, this also means that it will not decrease the time spent from casting a tech by the same amount as it would for other techs or different levels of the same tech.

Therefore, higher level or faster techniques do not benefit from V801 as much as lower-level or slower techniques would, but all of them do benefit from it. Imagine a tech taking 120 frames to cast (this is a long tech), and V801 reducing it by a percentage, such as 20%, 25%, or some other number most likely between 10 and 50% (unfortunately I have to pick a number since I don't know how much it actually reduces it by, so I'll take a modest example and say 25%). This would speed up the tech by about a whole second, which is quite an improvement (120 frames to only 90 frames). You could cast the same tech five times in the time it would take you to normally cast four! Now, compare that to another tech that takes only 20 frames to cast (significantly faster than the previous tech example), and now it would take only 15. Sadly, this is only a 5-frame improvement, which is not enough for someone like Leona to notice a difference, and is why she does not recommend using V801 after your techs reach lv25. However, you could STILL get five techs cast in the time it would take you to cast four without it, and that is why (through logic) I like to leave a slot open for V801, and smile in knowing how helps me.

Adept TP Reduction

4 Adepts stack, however it is 25% reduction in TP cost of your current TP cost. So at base you have 100% TP cost, so you get reduced to 75% TP cost by using one. Then 75% TP cost becomes your new 100%, so using a second means you are actually using 75% of 75% TP cost, meaning your new TP cost is 56.25%. Equipping a third reduces your TP cost to 42.1875%, and a fourth then gives you 31.640625% TP cost. If you equip a Psycho Wand, you would then have your TP cost reduced by another 50%, meaning Techs would then cost 15.8203125% of their normal cost. Also if you want your Psycho Wand to not take so much HP move it to the bottom of your inventory, or under the Adepts or whatever item is decreasing TP cost.

Smartlink Explained

The bonus doesn't show up on the screen, but you'll notice it when you try it out.

ATA = origATA

switch atkType

{

case normal:

ATA = ATA * 1.0

case hard:

ATA = ATA * 0.7

case special:

ATA = ATA * 0.5

case untekked special:

ATA = ATA * 0.05

}

switch comboStep

{

case first:

ATA = ATA * 1.0

case second:

ATA = ATA * 1.3

case third:

ATA = ATA * 1.69

}

EVP = origEVP

if frozen:

EVP = EVP - origEVP * 0.3

if shocked:

EVP = EVP - origEVP * 0.15

if paralyzied:

chance = ATA - EVP * 0.2

if not ranger or without smartlink:

chance = chance - distance * 0.33 # distance between you and your target

chance = change * 0.01

if chance > rand(0, 1):

hit

else:

miss

Section ID

On Ultima you will see lots of event drops on Redria, Virdia, and Purplenum, so keep that in mind.

Hunter Tiers:

1- Oran, Yellowboze, Whitill, Skyly

2- Redria

3- Viridia, Greenill, Purplenum, Bluefull

4- Pinkal

Ranger Tiers:

1- Oran, Yellowboze, Whitill

2- Redria, Bluefull, Skyly, Purplenum

3- Viridia, Greenill

4- Pinkal

Force Tiers:

1- Oran, Yellowboze, Whitill, Bluefull

2- Purplenum, Skyly, Redria

3- Viridia, Greenill

4- Pinkal

There is a lot more general info that could be added here and perhaps this could become a more in-depth knowledge thread, and more could always be added :)

Edited by Lemon
Tried to fix link
  • Like 8

That's actually not how smartlink works, range is not a factor in the hit equation, the only way range actually affects anything is the enemy manually evading an attack. There was once a rumour that range affected your chance to hit, but it is just that, a rumour that turned out not to be true. Smartlink does effectively add ata, whether it just does this by an invisible ata bonus or by modifying the percentage of ata each type of attack uses is unknown, but from my own testing it is worth more ata than a red ring is at least.

Sweet I'll change that real quick

Actually, Smartlink is based on range to the enemy. Here is the ATA check code:

ATA = origATA

switch atkType
{
case normal:
ATA = ATA * 1.0
case hard:
ATA = ATA * 0.7
case special:
ATA = ATA * 0.5
case untekked special:
ATA = ATA * 0.05
}
switch comboStep
{
case first:
ATA = ATA * 1.0
case second:
ATA = ATA * 1.3
case third:
ATA = ATA * 1.69
}

EVP = origEVP
if frozen:
EVP = EVP - origEVP * 0.3
if shocked:
if paralyzied:

chance = ATA - EVP * 0.2

if not ranger or without smartlink:
chance = chance - distance * 0.33 # distance between you and your target

chance = change * 0.01

if chance > rand(0, 1):
hit
else:
miss

Don't really feel like explaining it (it's simple math), but as you can see, range from the enemy is definitely a factor if you're not a Ranger and don't have Smartlink.

Also a simpler explanation for V801 is that it cuts the casting animation of all techniques (and also reduces charge times for any which have them). Imagine a clock going from 12 to 12 -- this is the amount of time it takes to cast one technique. With V801, the clock will go from 12 to 10 and then fire the technique, instead of doing the full circle (animation). On females, this is easiest to see if you cast a tech barehand, on males it's probably easiest to see with a Cane or Saber type weapon.

• Like 2

Actually, Smartlink is based on range to the enemy. Here is the ATA check code:

ATA = origATA[/size]

switch atkType[/size]{[/size] case normal:[/size] ATA = ATA * 1.0[/size] case hard:[/size] ATA = ATA * 0.7[/size] case special:[/size] ATA = ATA * 0.5[/size] case untekked special:[/size] ATA = ATA * 0.05[/size]}[/size]switch comboStep[/size]{[/size] case first:[/size] ATA = ATA * 1.0[/size] case second:[/size] ATA = ATA * 1.3[/size] case third:[/size] ATA = ATA * 1.69[/size]}[/size]EVP = origEVP[/size]if frozen:[/size] EVP = EVP - origEVP * 0.3[/size]if shocked:[/size] EVP = EVP - origEVP * 0.15[/size]if paralyzied:[/size] EVP = EVP - origEVP * 0.15[/size]chance = ATA - EVP * 0.2[/size]if not ranger or without [/size]smartlink[/size]:[/size] chance = chance - distance * 0.33 # distance between you and your target[/size]chance = change * 0.01[/size]if chance > rand(0, 1):[/size] hit[/size]else:[/size] miss

[/size]

Don't really feel like explaining it (it's simple math), but as you can see, range from the enemy is definitely a factor if you're not a Ranger and don't have Smartlink.

Also a simpler explanation for V801 is that it cuts the casting animation of all techniques (and also reduces charge times for any which have them). Imagine a clock going from 12 to 12 -- this is the amount of time it takes to cast one technique. With V801, the clock will go from 12 to 10 and then fire the technique, instead of doing the full circle (animation). On females, this is easiest to see if you cast a tech barehand, on males it's probably easiest to see with a Cane or Saber type weapon.

That is pretty sweet, and I was pretty sure that definition was absolute because it says it but that's alright lol I changed it back, I am curious where you got that data cause it's pretty cool :D