Regarding difficulty

Hello all,

I joined last week and so far, I really love this server and I hope it stays a long while!

Ok, here is my post and question. I make a LOT of assumptions here so correct me if I'm wrong.

So far I have two characters. To me, "normal" is just a trial with slow enemies and boring loot you need to suffer through before you can finally spend a few hours in Hard and finally get to Very Hard where the real fun begins. Seeing how this server had a 3X exp, I was thrilled to see that my "trial" would be even more expedited.

Or so I thought.

I had a shocking surprise two days ago when I tried to play on Hard with my RAmarl. On GC and on Schthack, I used to start Hard mode around level 20-22 and just blaze through. Now, my RAmarl is level 35 and it took me forever on "one player mode'' to get through the Forest. Gigoboomas can still two-shot me.

Obviously, the harder modes have been buffed up on this server. If I'm correct, I would assume that this was to address one of PSO's largest flaw, namely the ability to get to Ultimate very fast and spend three eternities and a half there. I went back to the lobby and checked the existing teams and saw people up to level 60-70 on hard and level 100+ on Very Hard. I therefore assume that by buffing the Hard and Very hard modes, you manage to "distribute" the player levels more evenly and with the 3X exp, this is all well and good, I think this is a really neat idea.

However.

I have only one problem with this. As I play in the Hard forest, I have a hard time killing monsters that drop gear 20-25 level below me. If I want to gear up semi-decently, I have to rely on the shops but the gear at my level is way too expensive to be bought with the meager meseta income I get by selling what I find.

So what's the trick? How do you manage to spend 20 more levels on Normal, destroying everything and getting underleveled loot?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

• Like 1

I think the main trick is letting people join you in your adventures. Gone are the days of the 1 shotting belra's regardless what you were wearing haha.

Not saying this is you but I think a lot of people don't fully utilize their class, I know i used to not. Robots can and should be trapping. Freeze traps and confuse traps will save you time and frustration letting things kill themselves and freezing really give you a leg up on getting a nice angle to start your attacks.

I had the biggest problem with this but after awhile i realized there really isn't an excuse.. If you're playing as Fo.. J/Z everything (minus the gryphon and olga in ep 2, never Jellen them) and keep it up. getting hit for less while hitting harder is beneficial to everyone, including yourself so take the time to cast it. If you j/z everything and don't deal a single damage point you still get credit for tagging the mobs so there is no excuse not to.

Don't be afraid to door flirt. I'm level 200 on my fomarl and still find myself abusing doors haha. Sure its cheap and probably not intended but if you're really having trouble in an area enter the room shoot shoot shoot and then leave and let them walk back to their spot. rinse and repeat. I got so insanely good at doing this on gamecube because I pretty much had to. Here we have a really nice population of people that are super down to help all the time. Name your room like need help or something like that and i promise you someone will come help haha.

N-VH is total filler. Nothing really worth farming drops in ulti and most of the people that you see doing really well in the lower modes are because they have good gear from their high level characters.

If you ever see a character named Paw, give me a shout I'd be happy to S/D J/Z on my fo for you while you bunch bears or something :D

Edited by Paw

Oh I'm far from 100% skilled, I realize that. Also, I have absolutely no problem with the game being hard, it's a nice change of pace. I remember my FOmar destroying EVERYTHING on GC ULT before he was level 100, I got bored fast.

I had no idea you got kill credit for J/Z, that is very, very good to know! Now, after 35 levels, if only the game deemed me worthy of those. I have yet to see these disks drop...

I also am looking forward to play with people but I am an utter online noob and by 2015, you guys are all used to say, a certain standard of quality so, I'm not sure I want to make anyone's life annoying by being that clueless noob :D

Yup! I've studied both that topic and the other one that explains how to max your stats.

For now I'll work on a convenient mag for leveling (good PBs and good effects) but when I get at a much higher level, I'll make me a mag geared toward stat maxing.

Aeroprism, can you check your PM's please? If you're using a force, I can definitely help you out with techs, in the very least J/Z since you mentioned you haven't found those yet!

As was said before normal-vhard shouldnt be buffed, only ultimate is buffed. However don't be shy to ask for help; pso is a multiplayer game meant to be played with others, if you need some decent techs, a stack of meseta, some basic gear, help leveling or doing any quests, the community here is really nice and willing to help you out if you ask for it. I'm sure somebody has a shifta and zalure 18+ for your ramarl and a frozen shooter and/or stuff to help you out.

After a few other ventures here and there, I was getting a bit discouraged, I decided to test my mettle in the Hard caves. Considering I had such a hard time with the forest, I guessed it would be foolish but hey, my mag was a whole 25 levels higher at this point.

Then I met a Nar Lily which was kind enough to drop a WALS MK2 for me. With 35% A.Beast to boot.

De Rol Le never knew what hit him :)

Yeah with a common rare, Hard mode is easy mode now. Good times.

After a few other ventures here and there, I was getting a bit discouraged, I decided to test my mettle in the Hard caves. Considering I had such a hard time with the forest, I guessed it would be foolish but hey, my mag was a whole 25 levels higher at this point.

Then I met a Nar Lily which was kind enough to drop a WALS MK2 for me. With 35% A.Beast to boot.

De Rol Le never knew what hit him :)

Yeah with a common rare, Hard mode is easy mode now. Good times.

You should do the gov quests those give some rewards:

http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=2426

Props for you though for not going the easy-peasy way of spamming TTFs etc, despite having already experienced the early content on other versions of the game/other servers :onion-head11:

Government missions are the best! Not only do they give me a (kinda sorta) story to PSO, the rooms are FULL of stuff to shoot!

So yeah, after the three first Govt missions on Hard, I decided to try the "retrieval" mission in the Mines and that brought me to level 51. I decided to check Very Hard out and I survive surprisingly well! Next on my list: clear all the govt missions on VH, this should take me close to ULT level.

Also, I need to make friends ;-)